Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

What is the best martial art

Hey I'm Ko, I'm in junior year and I've recently become fascinated with the martial arts world. I've checked dozens of YouTube videos and websites on which martial arts area is the best. I'd personally like to know what everyone in this forum thinks is is the best or (ideal) martial art. It would be awesome if you could let me know why you like the martial art you do and the pros and con's of it.

Thank you, OSU! ;)

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Well, you asked a couple different questions in your inquiry. You say "what is the best martial art" but then "ideal" martial art and then "why you like the martial art you do".

So a couple different things there. Best martial art: Sambo or GJJ or MMA.

Ideal martial art: the one that is going to appeal to the benefits you are seeking.

Why I like the martial art I do: Well right now the main martial art I do it Tai Chi which arguably is not a martial art, depending. :) The other is stick/knife fighting and lots of guns. I like stick fighting because it focuses a lot on footwork, ranges, and weapons. I like hitting people with sticks and being able to frustrate people when they can't hit me with them.

I use to love Sambo and BJJ but got tired of my joints hurting all the time. I use to really like MMA, but injuries have put me out of that game.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko View Post
    Hey I'm Ko, I'm in junior year and I've recently become fascinated with the martial arts world. I've checked dozens of YouTube videos and websites on which martial arts area is the best. I'd personally like to know what everyone in this forum thinks is is the best or (ideal) martial art. It would be awesome if you could let me know why you like the martial art you do and the pros and con's of it.

Thank you, OSU! ;)
    Brazilian Jiujitsu.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ

Thank you, OSU! ;)
    Not for nothing this has been asked before, and it is a common troll question. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that you are sincere.

Any martial art is better than sitting around and doing nothing, from a health and well being stand point. Therefore the absolute best martial art is the one you like and will stay with.

I've done a lot of stuff. Like many people my age Karate Kid and other 80's Karate Hype/Ninja Craze movies and television shows inspired me to martial arts. At the same time I grew up in a South Jersey wrestling powerhouse town, so I got into TKD and Wrestling at roughly the same time. There came a point when I ultimately had to choose one or the other because of practice schedules and such, and since I was winning lots of wrestling comps but only meeting middling success in TKD/Kickboxing, I went with the wrestling. Around this time I also found I had a knack for shooting and started doing that as well.

Catastrophic knee injury and Foxcatcher drama back to back ended my wrestling career. I went into Sambo/Combat Sambo, and mostly enjoyed that. Through that got involved with some funky Russian martial arts, of varying value, and found a(in my opinion) really good combatives program in Pramek. Still love and enjoy that.

Moved half way around the world. had kids, wife got sick, needed something for the kids to do, shooting is out for kids(not to mention prohibitively expensive here) found a BJJ club that has crazy low prices for the quality of instruction, rekindled my love of grappling and shared it with my kids. Now we are a BJJ family except for my disabled wife, who is the cheering section.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Weightlifting.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Muay Thai

Thank you, OSU! ;)
    People who ask which martial art is best generally seem to mean "which martial art will make you a better fighter". The general consensus (i.e. what people who don't have their head in the sand believe) is that martial arts that involve alive training (not scripted), physical conditioning and potentially competition produce the best fighters. This generally means combat sports like boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling etc., as opposed to for instance Aikido (I have done both).
    If your interest is in self defense, being able to fight is at least a necessary if not a sufficient condition for this so do one of those.
    If you want discipline, fitness, and self confidence you are still better off with one of those.
    Which one you should pick depends on other considerations; different martial arts have different health effects, some (Muay Thai) are just cooler than others (BJJ) and so on.

Style
    Koryu
    Running / sprinting

Style
    Bjj
    Ameri-do-te, everythibg else is bullshit

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Rex Kwon Do. Now bow to your Sensie

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Mine! Mine is better! Because kiaiiii! Kaboom!

----

After almost a year without posting here, I just needed to start with a stupid sarcastic comment, but since many others beated me to the line I will say that there are 2 rules:

1) What Tzadok said: "Any martial art is better than sitting around and doing nothing, from a health and well being stand point. Therefore the absolute best martial art is the one you like and will stay with. "

2) In general the more realistic the sparring you do, the most effective the martial art in terms of self defence, however obviously martial arts with more realistic forms of sparring also require more physical conditioning, might be more painful etc. (don't enter a boxe match if you are not very very fit and trained)!
    By the way, "more realistic" also implies people who are actually trying to beat you, so "competition" is better than just sparring, but again this requires commitment.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last