Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,496
    1

    I'm not all thumbs (archery related)

    Ok, so it might not be a martial art per se, but archery is still a martial skill of sort. My question to you all is the age old debate of thumb draw vs 3 finger. I'll leave out all of you 2 finger draw fucktards for a different debate. Personally I just don't see any advantage to thumb draw at all in any way, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I have tried both, but granted only practiced thumb for a match shorter time and I just don't see it making any difference to speed or aim.

  2. #2
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,586
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Are you talking about a thumb draw or pinch draw? I personally use the three finger over the pinch draw because you can pull back a stronger bow weight. But with my compound I use a release. I don't **** around with fingers unless it is a light bow and I'm just target shooting. Anything with weight or hunting, I use a release.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    305
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Ok, so it might not be a martial art per se, but archery is still a martial skill of sort. My question to you all is the age old debate of thumb draw vs 3 finger. I'll leave out all of you 2 finger draw fucktards for a different debate. Personally I just don't see any advantage to thumb draw at all in any way, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I have tried both, but granted only practiced thumb for a match shorter time and I just don't see it making any difference to speed or aim.
    Depends on the kind of archery and weight of bow you are using.

    Thumb draw is great if you have a ring. Can also work for light weight hunting bows if you practice it.

    You are NOT gonna be able to draw a 150lb war bow with a thumb draw.

    So... what kind of archery are you doing and what kind and weight of bow are you shooting?

  4. #4
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,857
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Fingers 2or3 or a release. Depends on the weight and draw.

  5. #5
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Are you talking about a thumb draw or pinch draw? I personally use the three finger over the pinch draw because you can pull back a stronger bow weight. But with my compound I use a release. I don't **** around with fingers unless it is a light bow and I'm just target shooting. Anything with weight or hunting, I use a release.
    Thumb draw, pinch is for noobs or kids bows. I tried a release once.....ONCE. I pretty much exclusively use bare fingers.

  6. #6
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Depends on the kind of archery and weight of bow you are using.

    Thumb draw is great if you have a ring. Can also work for light weight hunting bows if you practice it.

    You are NOT gonna be able to draw a 150lb war bow with a thumb draw.

    So... what kind of archery are you doing and what kind and weight of bow are you shooting?
    I'm mostly just debating the overall vs of thumb and 3 finger, I wasn't really applying it directly to my own shooting.

    My everyday bow is a 60lb recurve. Its bare except for a stick on arrow rest which is use so i can have cheap arrows. I can thumb draw it, but since i don't have a ring it's a pain in the...well thumb. But my statement is meant as more of a generalization.

  7. #7
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    6,623
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Ok, so it might not be a martial art per se, but archery is still a martial skill of sort. My question to you all is the age old debate of thumb draw vs 3 finger. I'll leave out all of you 2 finger draw fucktards for a different debate. Personally I just don't see any advantage to thumb draw at all in any way, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I have tried both, but granted only practiced thumb for a match shorter time and I just don't see it making any difference to speed or aim.
    The mongol/Huns used an archers thumb ring and it basically turns your thumb into a mechanical release.

    This requires you to with the arrow on the other side of the bow than you do with a finger draw or it creates a weird string rebound. You can shoot this way with low weight bows with no thumb ring but with high weight bows it starts to hurt after a bit.



    If i am a shooting a compoud i dont care how i shoot. because the speed is what it is and the let off takes all the tension off the spring. If its a right handed bow i cant shoot that bow with a thumb release because of the weird string action.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 6/15/2018 6:11pm at .

  8. #8
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    6,623
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    You'll get more speed of your bow with a thumb draw. It will add a couple inches of draw.

  9. #9
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    The mongol/Huns used an archers thumb ring and it basically turns your thumb into a mechanical release.

    This requires you to with the arrow on the other side of the bow than you do with a finger draw or it creates a weird string rebound. You can shoot this way with low weight bows with no thumb ring but with high weight bows it starts to hurt after a bit.
    You need just really beefy thumbs. I know some people swear by the same side shooting for speed, but I think it's more due to the practice than the side of the bow. And before anyone says Lars Anderson I consider him a freak of nature when it comes to speed shooting.

  10. #10
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You'll get more speed of your bow with a thumb draw. It will add a couple inches of draw.
    I disagree with the more speed part, but explain what you mean by adding draw length. Horse bows, at least the ones I have seen don't have long draws. Not to mention the arrows would be overly bulky.
    Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 6/15/2018 6:07pm at . Reason: Almost forgot

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in