Style
    cultural appropriation

repost: Supposed JKD Club near me

right so it got kicked off before I got chance to see any responses and I apologize that I am retreading a thread I made that is now gone. I got recommended a Kung Fu club in the next town over. It seems to be a Jun Fan club, though its just listed as kung fu and doesnt state much

here's the site, most of it links to the teachers 'achievements' which includes knowing bruce lee's family and holding his nunchaku. Claims to have 'traded knowledge' with Muay Thai fighters,which also isnt a promising qualification. The page does mention Judo black belt qualification and it seems a sort of hodge podge system based on wing chun and Jun Fan with a lot of forms thrown in, including breakdancing with a bo staff apparently. There's some hand flow drills

A troubling note to me is that poorly maintained control from the throw at 1:11, he loses grip almost completely before going back in for a wrist lock

speaking of forms, I notice the 'form' displayed online isnt even named, which puzzles me if its so traditional, wouldnt it have a name? On top of that there's a nunchaku form that looks so utterly superficial and lifeless

The sparring at the club is apparently totally optional, and the techniques dont seem to work because nobody is coming in the proper range to tag each other at all

Further along I found this black belt grading, which looks like a soft shark tank idea. No knockdowns either.

It seems odd to me a Jun Fan JKD club (though it seems vague about that and seems to focus on Bruce Lee fanboyism and superfluous achievements like push up records) would have this kind of form training.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    So a bit of an update, I got in touch with the school to see what I could find out

though its a Jun Fan place, theyre curriculum has absorbed wing chun, muay thai, lau gar, escrima.

Sounds like it's the typical JKD with the escrima/chun/jun fan added, but the muay thai seems like something I wouldnt expect to be synergized into a wing chun discipiine for mechanical compatability and lau gar? well... I guess thats where those staff forms and such come from?

Might have to go down and report back

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    I went to a JKD place in Birmingham where there was a Muay Thai class so I'm not that surprised though they also sparred full contact and the JKD was seen as an extension of the boxing stuff with some parrys and footwork drills.

Though Wing Chun is a new one. I've seen a place in Sheffield that does Wing Chun and MMA... Which I'd love to watch because... ****.

Though looking at that training I can't see much Muay Thai involved.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I went to a JKD place in Birmingham where there was a Muay Thai class so I'm not that surprised though they also sparred full contact and the JKD was seen as an extension of the boxing stuff with some parrys and footwork drills.

Though Wing Chun is a new one. I've seen a place in Sheffield that does Wing Chun and MMA... Which I'd love to watch because... ****.

Though looking at that training I can't see much Muay Thai involved.
    yeah thats the thing. Im seeing more lau gar and chun than anything.

I spoke to the people running it and the main coach is abroad at the moment, so one of his students has taken over, and the judo element of the class is gone because of it, and I suspect shes had no formal muay thai since his was 'traded knowledge'

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    So they're not training Muay Thai they're training "Muay Thai"... That makes sense.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    You never know. It could be a fun place to train. Could suck. It's hard to tell with JKD. I've trained with JKD guys that basically just kickbox and have decent stick fighting. Then I've trained with some who don't spar at all. There is not a whole lot of QC in JKD. I would give it a try if you are interested. Could meet some cool people.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    You never know. It could be a fun place to train. Could suck. It's hard to tell with JKD. I've trained with JKD guys that basically just kickbox and have decent stick fighting. Then I've trained with some who don't spar at all. There is not a whole lot of QC in JKD. I would give it a try if you are interested. Could meet some cool people.

This has been my experience with the art. It's extremely varied in its quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    This has been my experience with the art. It's extremely varied in its quality.
    Unlike Chun.