Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ

BJJ Calorie Burn

Does anyone have any accurate reliable information on the calorie burn of BJJ activities. Like let's say drilling. I would love to see that to better monitor my inputs and outputs.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    I would say too many variables to reliably just estimate. Intensity of drills vary wildly in my experience and the same for rolls.

You'd probably have to wear a durable heart rate monitor to get an accurate idea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    I would say too many variables to reliably just estimate. Intensity of drills vary wildly in my experience and the same for rolls.

You'd probably have to wear a durable heart rate monitor to get an accurate idea.

That's on my to do list. At least for drills. It wouldn't survive rolling, though I'm more looking for a cal/lb/min for the general bit anyway.

Yes intensity does vary wildly.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Does anyone have any accurate reliable information on the calorie burn of BJJ activities. Like let's say drilling. I would love to see that to better monitor my inputs and outputs.
    It depends on your weight, the more you weigh, the more calories you burn per hour doing almost anything. The numbers I've seen for Bjj seem to correspond to swimming (full body aerobic+anaerobic exercise with mild resistance), so between 500-1000 calories per hour varying by weight and intensity.

In one MMA Evolve article (https://evolve-mma.com/blog/the-6-hi...that-fat-away/) they ranked exercises by 150lb averages and came up with the following

Muay Thai ~ 1,000
    Boxing slightly over 700
    Bjj slightly under 700

So for a full hour of intensity, a 200lb person could easily break 1000/hr. 100 lb shrimp would probably have to struggle to burn more than half that in the same hour.

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post

I looked into this a while back and generally found numbers for Bjj ranging between 500 and 1000+. Wrestling numbers I found were slightly lower. It seems the more time spent standing (as opposed to laying in guard or even stalling), the more calories get burned, so it makes some sense that Bjj might trail some other martial arts in terms of total calories burned. In the MMA Evolve article I posted, boxing and Muay Thai burned more on average because of all the increased movement and footwork. An hour of Bjj that includes mostly groundwork will probably vary in intensity, more like interval training. Going a full, nonstop hour of Bjj is definitely not in my skill set...but I'd say the max must be close to what a professional cyclist would burn while racing full speed for one hour (~1500 cal/hr for a ~200 lb person).

The swimming comparison is interesting because I swim for conditioning, and swimming is also one of those exercises where the resistance is built in, and you can modify it based on your intensity level. A light swim for one hour will burn a lot less than an intense set of laps over an hour. I think Bjj must be similar...closer to the 500/hr range for drilling and light rolling, higher for more intense rolling, and everything scales according to your weight.
    Last edited by MrBeaj; 6/12/2018 2:38pm at .

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBeaj View Post
    I looked into this a while back and generally found numbers for Bjj ranging between 500 and 1000+. Wrestling numbers I found were slightly lower. It seems the more time spent standing (as opposed to laying in guard or even stalling), the more calories get burned, so it makes some sense that Bjj might trail some other martial arts in terms of total calories burned. In the MMA Evolve article I posted, boxing and Muay Thai burned more on average because of all the increased movement and footwork. An hour of Bjj that includes mostly groundwork will probably vary in intensity, more like interval training. Going a full, nonstop hour of Bjj is definitely not in my skill set...but I'd say the max must be close to what a professional cyclist would burn while racing full speed for one hour (~1500 cal/hr for a ~200 lb person).

The swimming comparison is interesting because I swim for conditioning, and swimming is also one of those exercises where the resistance is built in, and you can modify it based on your intensity level. A light swim for one hour will burn a lot less than an intense set of laps over an hour. I think Bjj must be similar...closer to the 500/hr range for drilling and light rolling, higher for more intense rolling, and everything scales according to your weight.
    I had found this, but I don't know how accurate it is:
    http://timbrucejiujitsu.blogspot.com...rn-in-bjj.html

I know that short of a lab with oxygen inhale/exhale testing nothing is going to be 100% accurate. I'm just looking for ballpark.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    I don’t think it’s that simple- the assumption is that everyone would be doing the same moves with the same efficiency- and were not.

Two people rolling for an 8 minute match could end up with completely different caloric expenditures

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I had found this, but I don't know how accurate it is:
    http://timbrucejiujitsu.blogspot.com...rn-in-bjj.html

I know that short of a lab with oxygen inhale/exhale testing nothing is going to be 100% accurate. I'm just looking for ballpark.
    Tim's a good guy, I used to train with him - was there when he got his BB. I would trust his numbers.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Tim's a good guy, I used to train with him - was there when he got his BB. I would trust his numbers.
    Thanks Sub(and everyone else who has chimed in). Like I said, I'm not looking for exact, as I don't really think that is possible. I'm looking for a rough estimate so that I can have a relative estimate of my output, to figure out how much of a deficit I'm in.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thanks Sub(and everyone else who has chimed in). Like I said, I'm not looking for exact, as I don't really think that is possible. I'm looking for a rough estimate so that I can have a relative estimate of my output, to figure out how much of a deficit I'm in.
    I feel your pain. My numbers were always way too high. I don't burn much doing BJJ. The one place I train out of uses a kerosene heater that sounds like a jet engine. Heats the place up and makes you sweat profusely. It'll make even an easy roll into an asskicker. I don't know that it actually does anything for calorie burn, but its great for a gut check.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last