Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Another Gender Based Rant By Battlefields - This Time He Attacks CARTOONS!!!!

Yep, another gender-based thread from battlefields. Yawn, etc.

Anyway, being a bit of a cinema buff I am forever trying to keep up with new trailers and I came across these gems below. I enjoy cartoons, and I particularly enjoy cartoons that deal with adult themes in a subtle undertone, which many cartoons manage to achieve with a wink and nudge. Not a sledgehammer.

I'm all for having powerful women leads in film, I've said it before and I'll say it again, my two absolute favourite movie franchises of all time have strong female protagonists. They weren't Mary Sues, the characters exhibited behaviours that weren't forced, weren't constantly looking to the audience for reinforcement that they're fulfilling some physically impossible role model status. They were flawed, showed the emotion one would expect in the situations they were placed in, and most importantly either used those emotions, or in spite of those emotions, to great effect against the antagonist.

Keeping in mind that the movies are upcoming and this might be one throwaway line, but I'd put money on this not being the only two examples in these kids movies of a trend in entertainment of denigrating and downplaying the roles of boys/men.

Now, we all know I am seem to be sensitive to these sorts of things, and you probably envisage me stomping around my house yelling incoherently that teh wimminz is taking ma rites! But that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm dejected, defeated almost, sitting here shaking my head, wondering what we are teaching boys in this new world.

We've witnessed a steady increase in male suicide for decades, with absolutely zero research into the disconnect boys have with masculinity, which appears to be being drowned out in pop culture with a "grrrrl power" bent.

I mean, I'm 35, I've watched DECADES of canned laughter in sitcoms directed at the incompetent boob of a man in the show's household while the female fixes his mess ups. I literally do not even need to give an example because I'm sure you can think of one off the cuff.

Is it not possible to have a strong female lead without emasculating the male in the story?

Do you think this is a pendulum swing thing? Like, are you the type of idiot that thinks, "well, men have been oppressing women for thousands of years so suck it up"? Or are you a little more reasonable and think, "yeah, looking forward to a more balanced world, this is a swing"?

Do you think it is damaging for boys, or even girls, to see this kind of messaging?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Sigh. I get where you are coming from. But I think you need to also “lighten up Francis.” (I figured I’d cram a movie reference in for you lol). When it comes to teaching boys to be men in this world? There are a lot of things going on. And I think *some* women don’t understand their role in the world yet.

And so what is the role women have now? Women are equals with men. And some women have no idea of how to cope with that. This isn’t unique to women either. I think *some* African Americans have a problem with that concept as well. Legally speaking...for both groups...they are 100% equal. And so there is no excuse for being lesser (barring certain factors that skew the “end results” like starting out super wealthy or with crappy parents or whatever). The “role” they have in society is to do their best. Be themselves. But understand that failures are a result of their actions. You can’t blame the legal system when the legal system says we are all the same. And it does now. So women should be looking to improve themselves and empower themselves as that is an advantage in our current society. Whether that is through education, entrepreneurship, and/or just straight hard work.

So for men? In this world? Boys? What should we be teaching them? The same things we have been teaching them. The only thing that needs to change is that we should be teaching boys/men that “girls can play too.” Be it football or martial arts or the science fair or video games. I know some people still have problems with that. I don’t know why. Anyway. This is up to parents. Not society. Not the teachers. If I have a son...he will be taught to be an alpha. Not a beta. He will be taught to be tough. If I have a daughter? She will be taught to be tough. An alpha.

Reminds me of some close friends of me and my girlfriend. Apparently during a drunken conversation, our female friend revealed to my girlfriend that she found me incredibly “sexy.” And she told my girlfriend why. It was because I’m a “tough guy.” That I can “handle my business” and “take charge.” Her? As a modern and very liberal woman? She isn’t used to that in a man. Her boyfriend? A GREAT guy. Very nice. Very trustworthy and smart and loyal. Loves hiking and the outdoors. I really respect him too. And he is fully aware of himself and can “handle his business.” But he isn’t really an alpha male.

So when she sees me? She sees a guy who loves survivalist stuff. Carries concealed. Does martial arts. Is educated (and fair and balanced with that education). And I still treat my girlfriend well and respect her. So this female friend? Who is very attractive. I would take a run at her if I was single and she was too. But I really wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with her. Why? Because my girlfriend is an alpha. She is tough. She is strong. She is smart. Better educated than me. She is a badass. And that’s what I want. And further? While she is a democrat (sadly lol), she still wants kids. She wants to be a mommy. She wants me to be a good dad. She isn’t threatened by me taking charge. She is who she is and she isn’t making herself be different for me.

So I guess. Tl;dr version? Boys and girls should both be taught personal responsibility and how to be tough and “handle their business.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Jits
    In the wise words of Jenfucius... Stop whining and pump some iron.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Yep, another gender-based thread from battlefields. Yawn, etc.

Anyway, being a bit of a cinema buff I am forever trying to keep up with new trailers and I came across these gems below. I enjoy cartoons, and I particularly enjoy cartoons that deal with adult themes in a subtle undertone, which many cartoons manage to achieve with a wink and nudge. Not a sledgehammer.

I'm all for having powerful women leads in film, I've said it before and I'll say it again, my two absolute favourite movie franchises of all time have strong female protagonists. They weren't Mary Sues, the characters exhibited behaviours that weren't forced, weren't constantly looking to the audience for reinforcement that they're fulfilling some physically impossible role model status. They were flawed, showed the emotion one would expect in the situations they were placed in, and most importantly either used those emotions, or in spite of those emotions, to great effect against the antagonist.

Keeping in mind that the movies are upcoming and this might be one throwaway line, but I'd put money on this not being the only two examples in these kids movies of a trend in entertainment of denigrating and downplaying the roles of boys/men.

Now, we all know I am seem to be sensitive to these sorts of things, and you probably envisage me stomping around my house yelling incoherently that teh wimminz is taking ma rites! But that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm dejected, defeated almost, sitting here shaking my head, wondering what we are teaching boys in this new world.

We've witnessed a steady increase in male suicide for decades, with absolutely zero research into the disconnect boys have with masculinity, which appears to be being drowned out in pop culture with a "grrrrl power" bent.

I mean, I'm 35, I've watched DECADES of canned laughter in sitcoms directed at the incompetent boob of a man in the show's household while the female fixes his mess ups. I literally do not even need to give an example because I'm sure you can think of one off the cuff.

Is it not possible to have a strong female lead without emasculating the male in the story?

Do you think this is a pendulum swing thing? Like, are you the type of idiot that thinks, "well, men have been oppressing women for thousands of years so suck it up"? Or are you a little more reasonable and think, "yeah, looking forward to a more balanced world, this is a swing"?

Do you think it is damaging for boys, or even girls, to see this kind of messaging?
    No

I did not see anything egregious.

Best line was about being rescued by a strong male as defining "princess" in the Ralph one.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

The Wisdom of Cartoons...

Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No

I did not see anything egregious.

Style
    Trumps Space Force
    This is what male hero’s that fight crime look like .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9102ACBC-B351-4F5B-B62B-B7DE66B67E91.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	17802
    King without a crown

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Not so much about cartoons, but you might find this article somewhat amusing:
    https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...9edb702e238cd2
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    It is not because kids are more inclined to identity with the beta male?

I mean they are kids. They are terrible at everything and everyone shits on them.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts