Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Between styles
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

Oh, and yeah, Classical Osoto Gari works, you betcha...because that is all there is.
    Thanks for the input! You're exactly the person I hoped would reply. There are a lot of other throws for which the classical entry is basically never seen (Ogoshi comes to mind), but the mechanics are identical, and they certainly aren't a waste of time.

I had another look at a few competition examples, and even when they drive with the left leg, they mostly hop around to the side of their opponent for the finish, so in that sense the throw finishes the same after an angled entry. Though I don't see them reaping the leg out from under their opponent, rather hooking around it and driving past it, with no reap really occurring until after they start to fall, and their weight comes off their leg.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Guird View Post
    Thanks for the input! You're exactly the person I hoped would reply. There are a lot of other throws for which the classical entry is basically never seen (Ogoshi comes to mind), but the mechanics are identical, and they certainly aren't a waste of time.

I had another look at a few competition examples, and even when they drive with the left leg, they mostly hop around to the side of their opponent for the finish, so in that sense the throw finishes the same after an angled entry. Though I don't see them reaping the leg out from under their opponent, rather hooking around it and driving past it, with no reap really occurring until after they start to fall, and their weight comes off their leg.
    You have to pin uke weight on his leg, which is tough to do versus a resisting opponent. Relative stance is important as well, for example, in opposite stance situation uke leg is very far away.

Basically, they pin the weight, hop into correct position, all the while with pressure on uke leg (back pressure and weight), and when get to proper position, the back pressure can be put on enough to overcome the friction of uke foot on the floor. So the reap is in place for most of it, but does not take effect right away.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12