Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You have to do it a week before the tournament or something. The only reason is no one in your division.
    When we had people that couldn't attend for various reasons, we were told once brackets were set. Which could be and has been anywhere between 1-4 weeks before the tourney. You also don't know how many people are in your division until the brackets are set. I've seen a masters 2 brown belt get dropped all the way down to seniors brown belt because they had no masters... Poor guy was fighting 20 somethings. He medaled, but still that is rough if you aren't conditioned for it.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    All I saw was some white belt get sandbagged.
    In theory, yeah - this is why Grappler's Quest and some of the other competitions are "better." There, your divisions are based on how many years of training you have vs. IBJJF etc where it's what your belt color is. I trained for a few years with a kid that was shodan in Judo. He crushed at IBJJF all the time as a white and blue belt. Went to Mondial, Pan Ams, etc., and always brought home gold.

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567