Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    cultural appropriation

what would be reasonable 'low impact' stuff to do?

So Ive had my MRI come back this week, and I have spinal stenosis, where degenerative tissue has built up in my spinal cavity and is pressing into the spinal chord. Ive been advised away from loading or heavily impacting the spine for a while. It's restricted to one particularly bad disk, so if physiotherapy doesn't work after a few months, I may end up going down the surgery route.

I am understandably, not thrilled with this, and I am looking for something I can do, remotely related to martial arts that I can still do. I have an appointment with the doctors to discuss a few things soon, but I'm wondering about the possibilities of what I could actually do? Tai Chi seems reasonably sensible while I recover, but Im wondering about something like fencing?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Maybe casual drilling or short exhibitions. I know when I fenced there was a lot of ummmph and rapid acceleration and deceleration in the hips which I would think would be more jostling than your doctor would want on your spine. Especially with Epee and Foil. With saber there are larger gross movements and wear on your shoulder and back. I was never a big saber guy but it always looked more fun than epee or foil.

... but it is all about the individual.

Tai Chi is great btw.

...and always consult your physician before starting any sport or exercise regime.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Maybe casual drilling or short exhibitions. I know when I fenced there was a lot of ummmph and rapid acceleration and deceleration in the hips which I would think would be more jostling than your doctor would want on your spine. Especially with Epee and Foil. With saber there are larger gross movements and wear on your shoulder and back. I was never a big saber guy but it always looked more fun than epee or foil.

... but it is all about the individual.

Tai Chi is great btw.

...and always consult your physician before starting any sport or exercise regime.
    I'm not starting anything till I see someone dont worry, Im just thinking for now based on local options and what I could be doing based on hypotheticals.

There's also archery nearby, which is pretty cool, and they have a knife/axe throwing range too :)

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Indian clubs?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    I like punching little kids.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I like punching little kids.
    I cant do that just yet, Im not a Gracie-family approved black belt, I haven't the authority to use my fists on minors

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Indian clubs?
    to be fair those do look fun.

Style
    Sportkarate and Boxing
    While not related to martial arts I believe swimming and cycling would be good for your back. Swimming for overall fitness and cycling for stamina. Hope you get better soon.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Tai Chi. Do it. Your doc probably isn't going to want you to do much more than that. But you never can tell. I've got a friend who has multilevel DDD in his back and he knows it whenever he does too much bending or lifting with his back. Tai Chi can be modified to any limitations you need. I teach a Tai Chi class every day at my work and we have people doing it with all kinds of physical ailments. Even someone who had a hip replacement recently.

They have Tai Chi for old folks homes, rehab facilities, as well as for people in wheel chairs. And it is just enough to have a very small martial arts connection. You will just need to figure out what style you want and where you can learn it from.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Out of good manners Ive messaged everyone Ive trained with in the last 6 months or so (regular classes, seminars, etc) to notify them. Ive been wished a fruitful recovery by all, though the Aikido guys expressed that I might never be able to step on the mat again due to their insurance policies. The HEMA, Tai Chi and Eskrima guys have all sympathized and told me they would be willing to modify the syllabus to account for my back, as I would not be the only one with the condition at any of the clubs. Judo team told me that Im more than welcome to come down and watch and will keep inviting me out on socials and stuff so I feel really welcome right now. My main clubs wished me well and want me to keep them informed on how things progress.

At the end of the day, much of this is up in the air, but as long as I can eventually do something again, thats good enough for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last