Style
    all things in Moderation

Resistance exercise decreases heroin self-administration (in mice)

Resistance exercise decreases heroin self-administration and alters gene expression in the nucleus accumbens of heroin-exposed rats
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...213-018-4840-9

Abstract
    Rationale
    Preclinical studies consistently report that aerobic exercise decreases drug self-administration and other forms of drug-seeking behavior; however, relatively few studies have examined other types of physical activity.

Objectives
    The purpose of the present study was to examine the effects of resistance exercise (i.e., strength training) on heroin self-administration and mRNA expression of genes known to mediate opioid reinforcement and addictive behavior in the nucleus accumbens (NAc) of heroin-exposed rats.

Methods
    Female rats were obtained during late adolescence and divided into two groups. Resistance exercise rats were trained to climb a vertical ladder wearing a weighted vest; sedentary control rats were placed repeatedly on the ladder oriented horizontally on its side. All rats were implanted with intravenous catheters and trained to self-administer heroin on a fixed ratio (FR1) schedule of reinforcement. mRNA expression in the NAc core and shell was examined following behavioral testing.

Results
    Resistance exercise significantly decreased heroin self-administration, resulting in a downward shift in the dose-effect curve. Resistance exercise also reduced mRNA expression for mu opioid receptors and dopamine D1, D2, and D3 receptors in the NAc core. Resistance exercise increased mRNA expression of dopamine D5 receptors in the NAc shell and increased mRNA expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (exons I, IIB, IIC, IV, VI, IX) in the NAc core.

Conclusions
    These data indicate that resistance exercise decreases the positive reinforcing effects of heroin and produces changes in opioid and dopamine systems in the NAc of heroin-exposed rats.
    I ain't no herointologist but this is a neat little paper.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Pretty interesting. At least it could be a good argument to implement exercise routines into treatment and rehab programs for people trying to overcome addiction.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Grapple
    It’s a shame it doesn’t work with cake .
    King without a crown

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    It’s a shame it doesn’t work with cake .
    It might.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    Grapple
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    It might.
    After 40yrs of practical assessment I can confirm to you categorically that it does not work with cake.
    King without a crown

Style
    Bjj
    This reminds me of a meme that i seen that was sorta along the lines of “random fact number 437: eating doughnuts is healthier than doing meth”.

I think if you can motivate somone in a positive way whether its excercise or gardening you can help beat addiction. Essentially if you are doing something you like its can be therapudic. In the doco jiujitsu vs the world there was a guy that was interviewed that was a reformed addict. Addiction is a mental game.

Smoking for example isnt the dependance on nicotine because thats out of your system in 2 days. Its the habit of sparking up and having time to yourself, taking a drag ect, sparking up in the morning or after dinner or after sex ect. Habits are hard to break. People say weed is a gateway drug, if somone was a pot head then becomes a meth head all they’ve done is replaced the high. I think if you can replace it with something good for example excercise that would be the way to go, endorphines working in a different way.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    This reminds me of a meme that i seen that was sorta along the lines of “random fact number 437: eating doughnuts is healthier than doing meth”.

I think if you can motivate somone in a positive way whether its excercise or gardening you can help beat addiction. Essentially if you are doing something you like its can be therapudic. In the doco jiujitsu vs the world there was a guy that was interviewed that was a reformed addict. Addiction is a mental game.

Smoking for example isnt the dependance on nicotine because thats out of your system in 2 days. Its the habit of sparking up and having time to yourself, taking a drag ect, sparking up in the morning or after dinner or after sex ect. Habits are hard to break. People say weed is a gateway drug, if somone was a pot head then becomes a meth head all they’ve done is replaced the high. I think if you can replace it with something good for example excercise that would be the way to go, endorphines working in a different way.
    And example from the opposite direction: when I got married and had children my wife starting giving me mountain-loads of grief over my still taking time to train/work-out. Because I wanted to make things work out and I am a delusional imbecile I actually dropped most of my training after years of working out 2-3 hours a day. I had the most horrible time during the next months. I felt like crap and hated everyone and myself. It was like going thru drug withdrawal with the problem of having to hang out more time with the wife.