Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Torn ACL

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Torn ACL

Its my time to join the club!

Cool thing is, I got percs with my surgery. I ground them all up and snorted them on the first day, so I don't remember **** from the weekend....

Seriously though, yeah what I thought was a torn LCL ended up being a torn ACL. After 8 weeks hadn't shown any improvement my dr had me get an MRI and when I got the report my jaw dropped. **** me, right?

Not a big deal. I'm going to turn this into a positive thing. I mean, while I cant fight until presumably 9 months from now, this will give me time to focus on my weakness, which is strength.

No weight lifting program has ever stood the test of time in my career. Always got sidetracked between muay thai, judo, wrestling, and bjj- especially if there was a fight coming up. So that said, the current weakest part of my game right now is strength. Prior to getting hurt, I made some really good progress in my bjj, my judo, and my wrestling. I say this as a good thing because once things "click" with me I don't really need to drill them to figure them out anymore you know?

So anyways the positive side about this is now I absolutely cant do bjj, judo, or muay thai for at least 5-6 months, which means I absolutely wont have any distractions from throwing some weight around.

But that said, any suggestions for supplements as they pertain to joint health, in particular ligaments? Its the "ligamentization" process that requires a 6-9 month absence before returning to the sport. That time will be spent lifting, and talking **** on internet forums....

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Dude, that sucks. Sorry you're going to be off the mats for so long. Hopefully, you make an on-time recovery.

I'm interested to hear how you, or anyone, can continue strength training on the lower half with this kind of lay-up.

As far as supplements go, I'm a big fan of the osteo biflex triple strength. They are fucking horse pills, sure, and expensive, but I really believe they are the ****. I'm far from expert on pharmacology, so this may be a bunch of BS, but my understanding is don't expect instant results - you have to be on a regimen for 4-6 weeks before you start to recognize the benefit. But, ligaments... that's a different story.

My understanding is that ligaments are like rubber bands, once they snap, they are done. Stretching can be rehab'd, but a tear or snap requires replacement. Lots of surgical complications are possible, but the procedure is getting better all the time, since ACL in particular is a very common sports injury. You're just going to have to adapt your game to suit. Good luck, and good health to you.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Dude, that sucks. Sorry you're going to be off the mats for so long. Hopefully, you make an on-time recovery.

I'm interested to hear how you, or anyone, can continue strength training on the lower half with this kind of lay-up.

As far as supplements go, I'm a big fan of the osteo biflex triple strength. They are fucking horse pills, sure, and expensive, but I really believe they are the ****. I'm far from expert on pharmacology, so this may be a bunch of BS, but my understanding is don't expect instant results - you have to be on a regimen for 4-6 weeks before you start to recognize the benefit. But, ligaments... that's a different story.

My understanding is that ligaments are like rubber bands, once they snap, they are done. Stretching can be rehab'd, but a tear or snap requires replacement. Lots of surgical complications are possible, but the procedure is getting better all the time, since ACL in particular is a very common sports injury. You're just going to have to adapt your game to suit. Good luck, and good health to you.
    So its roughly a 9 month rehab before I'd be cleared to return to sports. The biggest problem is whats called the "ligamentization" process of whichever graft you replaced your acl with. This takes up to a year and change to fully happen. Until then its a gradual combo of the graft itself dying and new cells turning it into a ligament.

The ACL doesn't heal when its torn, so if it goes you need surgery, especially if you're a pro athlete. I had it done a few days ago.

Now because of the weakness of the new graft until it becomes an ACL, it'll take probably 2-3 months before I can do strength training associated with it. In the meantime I can do everything upper body. I've just got to be patient.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I tore the ACL in my right knee back in 1982 or 83.

I got it repaired in 1987.

Patellar ligament replacement.

Just followed all the PT protocols and don't go crazy and you'll be fine.

My knee is still okay all the rest of me is broken and s***.

The doctor told me if I ever tore surgery that he did I'd have a lot bigger problems in a torn ACL.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    MMA
    Sorry to hear. It's good you're optimistic, and hope you're quick on the mend

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Welcome to the Sick Lame and Lazy.

Stay positive and hydrated.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I tore the ACL in my right knee back in 1982 or 83.

I got it repaired in 1987.

Patellar ligament replacement.

Just followed all the PT protocols and don't go crazy and you'll be fine.

My knee is still okay all the rest of me is broken and s***.

The doctor told me if I ever tore surgery that he did I'd have a lot bigger problems in a torn ACL.
    Interesting that recurring ACL injuries are common, but not on the knee that was repaired!

So in a study of 100 people that returned to sports in less than 5 months, 100% suffered a reinjury to their graft. This appears to be a collage of various links to ensure you’re ready to go again.

1ligamentizarion. This is a process by which the new material (usually a tendon) dies and is transformed into a new ACL or whatever. Appears to take several months, possibly as much as 15 or more for it to be “complete.” 6 months seems
    To be the absolute minimum, but you’d still be at risk as this process, while mostly done than not, is not complete.

2 rehab. I’m looking at studies of people who get injured, and those that reinjure. The word “rehab” I feel is misleading. One of my first coaches was a world class personal trainer and taught me a lot of things about injury recover and prevention. For the sake of tl;dr they only compare the quad strength to the healthy leg. More strength = more protection, it’s not a simple sake a relativity to the other leg (which may also be weak). It also only seems to judge quad strength ignoring hamstring strength (such as deadlifts). Muscle imbalance also leads to many injuries. So the idea here is heavy weight training to strengthen BOTH legs, and ALL surrounding muscles (hamstring, quad, anterior tibialus, calves) to ensure no great imbalance.

Of related issue to this was a story of eagles kicker David Akers. He tore his hamstring one year with the eagles. He did his recovery with one of my coaches. Of interest was he tore his non dominant hamstring. Turns out is was so weak compared to his other that it just ripped when it was overpowered. As he did his rehab his protocol was to kick one field goal on his non dominant side for every 10 he’d normally kick to help balance this out. This was a very interesting observation.

3 psychology. Call it a small case of ptsd many have a hard time “trusting” their knee long after surgery. This won’t be an issue for me, but for others they may need professional head doc help

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Its my time to join the club!

Cool thing is, I got percs with my surgery. I ground them all up and snorted them on the first day, so I don't remember **** from the weekend....

Seriously though, yeah what I thought was a torn LCL ended up being a torn ACL. After 8 weeks hadn't shown any improvement my dr had me get an MRI and when I got the report my jaw dropped. **** me, right?

Not a big deal. I'm going to turn this into a positive thing. I mean, while I cant fight until presumably 9 months from now, this will give me time to focus on my weakness, which is strength.

No weight lifting program has ever stood the test of time in my career. Always got sidetracked between muay thai, judo, wrestling, and bjj- especially if there was a fight coming up. So that said, the current weakest part of my game right now is strength. Prior to getting hurt, I made some really good progress in my bjj, my judo, and my wrestling. I say this as a good thing because once things "click" with me I don't really need to drill them to figure them out anymore you know?

So anyways the positive side about this is now I absolutely cant do bjj, judo, or muay thai for at least 5-6 months, which means I absolutely wont have any distractions from throwing some weight around.

But that said, any suggestions for supplements as they pertain to joint health, in particular ligaments? Its the "ligamentization" process that requires a 6-9 month absence before returning to the sport. That time will be spent lifting, and talking **** on internet forums....
    Really? I was only off the mat for 3 months after my acl operation and I had my LCL, Meniscus, and PCL damage at the same time.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Really? I was only off the mat for 3 months after my acl operation and I had my LCL, Meniscus, and PCL damage at the same time.
    That is your superior Hapkido breathing techniques helping you heal.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    That is your superior Hapkido breathing techniques helping you heal.
    *****middle finger*****

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last