Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Karate combat

Style
    Kickboxing, MMA, Happytho
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Big John and Joe talked more about the arenas recently. I think the pit looks cool. The no hooks is already sketchy, but I'm not a fan of the no leg kicks. It's like a different avenue beyond point fighting, but not knock down Karate.

It's always good to have options, but why not just kickbox in a Gi then? Hadouken!
    Think Bas got a message during the interview saying they've allowed hooks now.

Watched a few fights today. I enjoyed it. The camera work is pretty good. Think it helps not having the cage constantly in the way.

Though to answer "why not kickbox in a gi" I guess once you jump down that slope it's just another kickboxing tournament as opposed to a pure karate tournament. Which I like, it's like you say it's another avenue beyond point fighting. To me it's for people that want to do pure karate but want to be able to test it in a full contact environment. So far the only mainstream way to really test that is to go Kyukushin or go to a K1 show where you've now had to adapt the style into... Well kickboxing.

Style
    Bjj
    Ok so just to clarify on a few questions. Long hooks are allowed, hooks from up close boxing style are not allowed.

Knees and elbows are not allowed for the same reason RIZIN FF doesnt have elbows, purely to reduce chances of big cuts and having blood everywhere.

Leg kicks below the knee are allowed, inner thigh kicks are not.

Why not kickbox in a gi? Well this allows throws and take downs and 5 seconds of ground+pound before resetting to standing.

The ruleset will be fine tuned but basically the concensus is having a competition format that isnt piss weak but still keeping it karate.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    They should add have them wear elbow pads and allow knees to the body if they want to avoid blood.

There’s YouTube footage of full contact style karate matches where they do this. I’m too lazy to find it right now, but it’s out there.

Style
    Armed Meatbag/Kyokushin
    All of these weird restrictions are in place to prevent kyokushin fighters from dominating the sport as they rightfully should.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Why do you guys want it to be muay thai?

Style
    Armed Meatbag/Kyokushin
    It bans legitimate karate technique. Kyokushin should claim its' rightful throne.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Why do you guys want it to be muay thai?
    That is a concern in the other direction... The takedowns should help mitigate that somewhat. In some of the matches guys were full on shooting doubles, which is bad for the traditional Muay Thai stance.

My point is, if all of these strikes are in traditional karate, let them be applied here too.

Page 2 of 2 First 12