Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Knife or Death

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Heh. Just saw the 20-year-FMA-doofus that brought a wallhanger and got denied.
    I was kind of surprised that the cold steel messer bent.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    That was odd.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kendo
    Heh. Just saw the 20-year-FMA-doofus that brought a wallhanger and got denied.
    It was good that the safety check isn't just window dressing. I'd like to know what their screening process for contestant is, though. "Are you overweight? Are you willing to wear your uniform on TV, no matter how ridiculous that looks out of context? Barring that, could you wear some sort of Ren Faire costume? We'd like to see footage of you in your living room, hallway or back yard also."

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    A major flaw is there seem to be no restrictions on the weapon beyond "probably won't explode and kill everyone." There's not really much precision or finesse in play, so there's no real disincentive to showing up with what amounts to a polearm and lapping the field.

DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kendo
    I think the polearm would fare pretty poorly for the moving target tests. That one where you have to cut a swinging water jug at just the right time so the water extinguishes a candle requires a fairly manoeuvrable weapon. Similarly with the falling watermelon. Conversely, I'd just as soon have an axe for the plastic jugs of sand and big chunks of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I think the polearm would fare pretty poorly for the moving target tests. That one where you have to cut a swinging water jug at just the right time so the water extinguishes a candle requires a fairly manoeuvrable weapon. Similarly with the falling watermelon. Conversely, I'd just as soon have an axe for the plastic jugs of sand and big chunks of ice.
    I was actually thinking viking axe, but one downside would be the fish and chicken cutting. I seriously think the TKD lady had the right idea, bastard sword.

A major flaw is there seem to be no restrictions on the weapon beyond "probably won't explode and kill everyone." There's not really much precision or finesse in play, so there's no real disincentive to showing up with what amounts to a polearm and lapping the field.
    I'm glad there's no precision or finesse otherwise it would be a boring show on ESPN.

Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I seriously think the TKD lady had the right idea, bastard sword.
    I would want a two-handed sword, maybe a bit shorter than she had. It should be double edged, with different edge profiles for sharp cutting and blunt force. That way you don't have to wreck your good edge on the wood box or the ice blocks.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I would want a two-handed sword, maybe a bit shorter than she had. It should be double edged, with different edge profiles for sharp cutting and blunt force. That way you don't have to wreck your good edge on the wood box or the ice blocks.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe 30" overall, maybe a hair longer. Long, capable of bludgeoning; "polearm" was hyperbole.

Couldn't you just stick a blade under the melons and let them split? Then the only precise work would be the bottles. There seems to be no call for stabbing. I was thinking something that tapered to the handle, to bias the weight at the end, with no point at all, just edges right to a truncated tip.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    ..and jesus **** me if I have to see one more numbnuts wander off from an obstacle without bothering to verify it was completed.

Page 2 of 2 First 12