Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789

Style
    Muay Thai
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah everyone thinks it is like never back down with the music and the hot girls and the cool lifestyle. The reality is you get up too early and then have a sweaty man sit on you and punch you in the face.
    Is your idea of a cool lifestyle going to a high school where everyone's social standing is for some reason based entirely on their ability to fight, and then scrapping in rich kids' parents' mansions?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    Is your idea of a cool lifestyle going to a high school where everyone's social standing is for some reason based entirely on their ability to fight, and then scrapping in rich kids' parents' mansions?
    Yes and not going to jail for it. That would be nice.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Little off topic but I think there is an expectation which probably comes from the way things like MMA are portrayed on what a mixed martial artist should look like. Whenever the conversation comes up with my wife's friends or family what I do for fun. MMA is the first one to mention "what's MMA?" Cage fighting. "You don't look like a cage fighter" what's a cage fighter look like?.
    Back in the very late 80s I went to a tournament at another city that would select for the national karate team. I was talking at a cafe with my two teammates, two big, beefy guys when the waitress asked what kind of athletes we were. The guys puffed out their chests answering "karate". The waitress asked "you too?" pointing at me. Yep, I said. "With that scrawny body?" she finished. I kinda never lived that down.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Yes and not going to jail for it. That would be nice.
    Amber Heard. That was what was really nice about that whole movie scenario.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by ksennin View Post
    Back in the very late 80s I went to a tournament at another city that would select for the national karate team. I was talking at a cafe with my two teammates, two big, beefy guys when the waitress asked what kind of athletes we were. The guys puffed out their chests answering "karate". The waitress asked "you too?" pointing at me. Yep, I said. "With that scrawny body?" she finished. I kinda never lived that down.
    Doesn't much help that I'm probably the most laid back and least threatening person you'd ever meet. Pretty jovial by nature that even my family members tend to laugh there arses off at it. Though most of my instructors don't look like hardarses either. Think the days of the muscles up skin head beefcakes of the sport has quite died down but the public perception hasn't.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Doesn't much help that I'm probably the most laid back and least threatening person you'd ever meet. Pretty jovial by nature that even my family members tend to laugh there arses off at it. Though most of my instructors don't look like hardarses either. Think the days of the muscles up skin head beefcakes of the sport has quite died down but the public perception hasn't.
    The BJJ coach at a club where I trained a couple of years ago was this ripped skinhead with tattoos everywhere and metal teeth. Really nice guy as it turned out.

Just to drag this back on point while I have a few jujitsu guys here.

The basic Defence against a standing choke is a pressure point attack to the I think ulnar nerve?

The defender brings both hand's to the choking arm, they then drive either the point of one of the stupid claw rings or the first knuckle of the hand into that nerve causing the elbow to dip and you then step to the side the arm is on and then strike under the arm is an elbow.

Note the only point of contact you have during this entire thing is either that ring or the knuckle.

I can tell you from experience it bluntly does not work without the rings and frankly the entire is both reliant on pain response and a very small area in the crook of the arm.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritate View Post

The basic Defence against a standing choke is a pressure point attack to the I think ulnar nerve?

The defender brings both hand's to the choking arm, they then drive either the point of one of the stupid claw rings or the first knuckle of the hand into that nerve causing the elbow to dip and you then step to the side the arm is on and then strike under the arm is an elbow.

Note the only point of contact you have during this entire thing is either that ring or the knuckle.

I can tell you from experience it bluntly does not work without the rings and frankly the entire is both reliant on pain response and a very small area in the crook of the arm.
    My wife once went on her first aid course. The fellow teaching the course started talking about self defence stuff for some reason (I've been on a fair few courses in my time and know they like to drone on about bullshit so it's not that bizarre) I remember her telling me that the first aid instructor was going on about some **** like he had once subdued an attacker by pinching a never at the top of the rib cage just below the neck.

Apparently he demonstrated it and it hurt a good amount but I'm calling bullshit that he'd ever used it against someone resisting or actually attacking him. Because if you're pissed off enough you can ignore pain and that Vulcan nerve pinch isn't going to stay on for long when the now even more pissed off attacker starts throwing wild shots right at your face.

Anyway my point being, some of this **** sounds a lot like what that arsehole was peddling.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritate View Post

Umm, no. The defense against a choke is to create space for air/blood to keep flowing by using strength/leverage to turn your head so that you're facing away from the "small" part of the choke (crook of the elbow, for example, you don't want the front of your neck there). Of course, the ultimate correct way to defend a choke is to not get into a choke in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Umm, no. The defense against a choke is to create space for air/blood to keep flowing by using strength/leverage to turn your head so that you're facing away from the "small" part of the choke (crook of the elbow, for example, you don't want the front of your neck there). Of course, the ultimate correct way to defend a choke is to not get into a choke in the first place.

Im quoting the way defence lab teaches it, they teach to turn towards the bicep.

Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789