Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP

US elections: how to vote?

So as everyone is no doubt aware it is a strange and dramatic time in US politics. There is also potential for a lot of upheaval in upcoming elections. Usually I try not to think in terms of political parties but it seems like the importance of this factor will legitimately be greater than usual as it could encompass possibilities like presidential censureship or efforts to save federal agencies.

At the same time, both political parties have reached new heights of cynicism, cowardice, and disregard for the greater good. In particular the Democratic party is being extremely culturally imperialist and manipulative on the issue of gun control, whereas the Republican party is leading an all out assault on rule of law, separation of powers, the free press, and even the pretense of ethics and decorum in the office of the President.

And yes I realize the press is all propaganda and distorted. To tell the truth it has been obvious for years and it seems people have always been more interested in seeking out intellectually lazy validation that seeking the truth and embracing ambiguity. Be that as it may it is still troubling to see the office of the President explicitly threatening the press if it happens to not be disseminating his particular propaganda.

So how the heck should someone who wishes to be ethical and support the greater good vote in upcoming elections? It seems like it is not possible to pick a side without either validating a direct assault on social and governmental institutions, or else without validating emotional voter manipulation and cultural imperialism.

"Base" voters themselves seem to demand the very worst displays of emotional manipulation and weak ideas.

Smartest people on the internet, your thoughts please.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    The two big parties are counting on knee-jerk reactions from their base, as they always do. Once the base is secure, rhetoric and wild views will tone down as we get closer to That Tuesday, as it always does. These 470 national seats we're voting on this year count on this formula to work, and it almost always does.

That's where control of the press plays in. Democrats have a (un)natural relationship with most major news outlets, which is why there's a FoxNews and a Drudge and a Limbaugh and Infowars and MRC, etc., etc. - you know, all the illegitimate #fakenews #russiantrollbot sites. The Left has done a remarkable job at controlling and directing the narrative, this cycle. Trump has only been helping them do so (arguably unintentionally, though I sometimes wonder). Trump's base is made up of primarily Never Hillary people (a guess), which is no longer an ongoing concern, so he's been struggling to stay on message as the de-facto head of the Republican Party. The various scandals/investigations are just icing on the blue cake.

So, I looked at the Democrat platform, the other day, just to see what they actually promise, and I don't like a whole lot of it. I'm all for civil rights and liberties, which has always been a core thing for them, but their economic and foreign policy stuff scares me. I'm similarly at odds with a lot of the Republican platform - for example, the religious values parts, especially on LGBTQA-Z, marriage, etc; also, I've always read "fair tax," as an opportunity for higher taxes across the board, so I don't dig that.

So, voting becomes a balancing act. For my part, I try to run with a spectrum of "I can't allow that to happen," to "****, yeah!" and see where the various candidates line up. A lot of times, I do find that the "I can't allow that to happen," is a significant part of my vote. See, of the 470 seats, I'm going to vote for at BEST 3. So, I have to consider how the rest of the nation is voting, too. That is just plain wrong, and it leads to bad leadership in our legislature, but that's the way the system works. We need more representation. I shouldn't have to worry that one Senate seat in Connecticut or one Representative from California will effectively nullify my core-values choice. But, since the system has been rigged that way, I have to consider it, and that often drives my vote for national seats.

Please consider reading and sharing my "How to fix the government," link in my sig.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    So I read your webpage on the government needing more representatives. Sure, why not? It's definitely got pretty distorted by now for the reasons you mention.

It's sort of the opposite solution of the Council of Ten route (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Ten) but on the other hand Venice was just a city state, so maybe the opposite solution does indeed apply.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So I read your webpage on the government needing more representatives. Sure, why not? It's definitely got pretty distorted by now for the reasons you mention.

It's sort of the opposite solution of the Council of Ten route (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Ten) but on the other hand Venice was just a city state, so maybe the opposite solution does indeed apply.
    To be fair, that's not *my* webpage, I was unintentionally loose with my lingo, there. It's my link to the webpage, but I'm not affiliated with those guys, other than ideologically on that primary issue.

(edit) fun fact, you can download a high-res image of the Constitution from NARA, iirc, and indeed plainly see the last-minute alteration.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    First of all, I Google the candidates running for a position. Its amazing how many people running for office yield nothing in a simple Google search. If a candidate has no info online, they don't get my vote. Its 2018 goddammit. If you have no online presence, you either don't care about getting elected or you're some dinosaur who refuses modernism, and either way that's a no from me.

I lean towards voting for people who have a history of serving the people, rather than enriching themselves. It may be an overly simple approach, but I prefer to vote for teachers, public defenders, environmental stewards etc over businessmen and bureaucrats. I tend to vote for such people over incumbent career politicians too. I reject candidates whose platform is to use the government to restrict freedom and legislate morality. I reject candidates who complain about Christian values being under attack, because that's bullshit. I greenlight anyone who wants to legalize ninja stars. I'm an independent but this particular season, my choices are leaning Democrat because I believe that we shouldn't be enabling the mad wishes of the current president.

On propositions, I try to think long term- if something is to be paid for over 40 years plus interest, for example, it should be something we yield benefits for at least 40 years. I am for personal freedom, environmental protection and corporate accountability. Those can be at odds, but they're values that guide my proposition vote.

Style
    judo hiatus
    I usually vote base on which candidate I see leaving a better country and world for my children and their's. Usually conservative but not always Republican. My biggest concerns are national debt and personal freedom.

I'd be an Independent if my state had strong candidates. Alas, we're not there yet so it's an issue of who can make it through the primaries. Oklahama is a state where primary votes are along party lines. General elections are open vote.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I generally believe that local elections are the most important and direct impact on my life. And then I tier up after that. But also I think that the further from the local level the lesser the impact on my life. That being said, I vote on issues rather than party line. But I have some different views on that than my fellow brethren. Here is why:

I am a Christian male with a diverse ethnic background. I personally do not believe in abortion for example. However, I don't think that abortion should be illegal. I think it should be legal. The reason being, if you take away someone's free will to do that, you take away their ability to test and thus validate their personal/religious beliefs. If you don't believe in abortion, it is easy, you don't have one. That allows you to show and live your life representative of your belief. But that doesn't mean you have to push your belief on someone else. Making it illegal is a cop out. I once heard a preacher say, "If Christians would stop getting abortions, it would put abortion clinics out of business". I don't think it's true, but I like where he was going with it.

There are certain things I vote exclusively on. Such as gun control. If you want to take away my right to own a gun, I will vote against you. If you support my right to own a gun, I may vote for you. So, I then prioritize based on stuff like that. If you want to make abortion legal or illegal, that isn't as big a deal to me as gun control. HOWEVER, I have friends and family who believe the opposite. But that's what makes America great. I usually advise them to prioritize their beliefs the same way and vote accordingly.

This year we have Rick Scott running against Bill Nelson for a senate seat. This one is interesting for me because I have not liked almost anything that slick Rick has done as a governor. I do like his stance on gun control. I don't disagree with most stuff Bill Nelson says. His gun control stance is spotty. I like his views on funneling money to law enforcement and some of his inmate programs. So like I said, interesting one for me. I've not decided on this one yet.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.