Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I wonder if the gloves take some of the bluntness out of those throat strikes.
    What's more relevant is the fact that throats have muscles, particularly in gargantuan heavyweights. Muscles protect from impact.

Maybe you could dim mak a ************ to death if you make like Sean Connery in Rising Sun and karate-sucker chop him in the throat when unprepared, but I frankly wouldn't bet on being able to crush a trachea (which is also a fairly elastic thing in itself and not brittle) with a standing strike.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Ok honest question. Does anyone have any solid information on how potentially lethal a throat punch is?

So when I hear someone with a PhD who is supposed to know what they are talking about say this:

Then I see something like this

He takes at least two good shots to the throat, and you don't see medics rushing the scene. So I'm a bit confused. Targeted throat strikes are illegal in MMA, so that tells me that they might be somewhat dangerous. The question is how dangerous? I'm pretty sure from personal experience that it isn't with same level of certainty that it was proclaimed in the quote.
    I can't actually attest to any study just anecdotal. I've struck 4 people in the throat throughout my life and they were fine after the fact. I've been kicked and punched in the throat during actual matches but I died both times.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    fact. I've been kicked and punched in the throat during actual matches but I died both times.
    That settles it. It's the deadly.

I would bet seasoned fighters can take shots quite well. I could also see it really fucking up a civilian.

Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    What's more relevant is the fact that throats have muscles, particularly in gargantuan heavyweights. Muscles protect from impact.

Maybe you could dim mak a ************ to death if you make like Sean Connery in Rising Sun and karate-sucker chop him in the throat when unprepared, but I frankly wouldn't bet on being able to crush a trachea (which is also a fairly elastic thing in itself and not brittle) with a standing strike.
    the throat have muscles, but those muscles do not protect it from damage. if it did, tracheostomies would be a very big mess.

the most important thing to remember in damaging the windpipe is penetration depth. impact MAY cause swelling that is enough to obstruct, but if you really want obstruction, shove your preferred weapon deep enough that his adam's apple is connected to his neck backbone/cervical spine. preferably you'd want to secure the target first, like hammering on an anvil. when you do that, surgical throat reconstruction is a pain in the ass ************.

I disagree. The sternocleidomastoid muscle in particular does not cover the trachea, but gives a large degree of peripheral muscle guarding to the region and, unless you're one of those chin-held-high fighters fishing for delightful face punches, your chin is going to be slightly tucked fighting, tensing the muscles and lowering the chin to make the target smaller and more tense. Throat surgery is done with the patient fully sedated, not upright and likely struggling.

Your method of tracheal execution is correct, however. Ideally, you stomp somebody hard on the throat with their neck to the ground. Less area for the trachea to distend away from impact that way.

Page 2 of 2 First 12