Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    Style
    Jits

Dangerous Takedown?

Maybe you are aware of famous BJJ instructor John Danaher has banned, amongst other takedowns, Tani Otoshi in his classes for he considers it too dangerous.

(source: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/3-tec...annes-classes/)

Do you guys think this one...

deserves to be on Danaher's list?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Maybe you are aware of famous BJJ instructor John Danaher has banned, amongst other takedowns, Tani Otoshi in his classes for he considers it too dangerous.

It doesnt seem to have the same risk of crashing into the side of the knee as a bungled tani otoshi.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 4/19/2018 6:46pm at .

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I get that there's probably an element of surprise that drives the fear, (and a degree of cleanness with the demo version) but I think I'd rather be thrown by that than a number of others, too many to choose. This looks pretty gentle, and relatively safe. Am I missing something?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

Its not as "dangerous" looking as Kani Basami or Tani Otoshi.

I think the primary danger of throws in BJJ are crappy mats, and crappy ukemi waza. Same for Judo, but often the mats are better and more ukemi is practiced.

I don't typically teach Tani Otoshi to kids, nor beginners of any sort. It's not really necessary, and I've seen a lot of Tani Otoshi end up badly for uke.

*edit*

The takedown in question does not look particularly effective unless uke is kind of cluelessly standing there. I wish they would show more of a full-speed type demo in a realistic situation.

Not saying it won't work, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Its not as "dangerous" looking as Kani Basami or Tani Otoshi.

I think the primary danger of throws in BJJ are crappy mats, and crappy ukemi waza. Same for Judo, but often the mats are better and more ukemi is practiced.

I don't typically teach Tani Otoshi to kids, nor beginners of any sort. It's not really necessary, and I've seen a lot of Tani Otoshi end up badly for uke.

*edit*

The takedown in question does not look particularly effective unless uke is kind of cluelessly standing there. I wish they would show more of a full-speed type demo in a realistic situation.

Not saying it won't work, though.
    Just worked it tonight. It gets the Rayce stamp of approval. You kinda jump through their legs and pull them on top of you and then roll over. Its quite effective.

Style
    MMA
    Really? -Tani- Otoshi? Never struck me as super dangerous.
    Are you sure it wasn't a typo and he banned -Tai- Otoshi? Because I've seen waaaaay too many people get injured with that one. High ranks, low ranks, Tai Otoshi comes for us all to reap it's harvest of injuries.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't a typo and he banned -Tai- Otoshi? Because I've seen waaaaay too many people get injured with that one. High ranks, low ranks, Tai Otoshi comes for us all to reap it's harvest of injuries.
    Tani otoshi performed wrong is a shitty flying leg scissors. I use to feel the same way..... and then over the years I watched the body count pile up.
    It snaps knee ligaments. You're supposed to go away from your opponent at about a 45 degree angle but beginners get it wrong and go straight into them and then other begginers stand with locked out knees while being thrown.....and then........ they are on crutches.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't a typo and he banned -Tai- Otoshi?
    Almost 100% sure.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just worked it tonight. It gets the Rayce stamp of approval. You kinda jump through their legs and pull them on top of you and then roll over. Its quite effective.
    It's a common takedown in our club and to date no one has been injured AFAIK, but I wanted other informed opinions.

Style
    MMA
    We do the takedown in the vid often at our MMA club, with no injuries. I'd like to know the proper term because everyone just calls it a 'barrel roll.'

I saw a demo of why Danahar banned Tani Otoshi where a girl had her knee wrecked, but in that vid it just looked like a sloppy what we'd call a sit down leg trip, so don't know if it's a typo as said? I use it a lot, but have seen people injured when instead of sitting down at a 90 angle and pulling their partner into the empty space, they kind of pull them on top of themselves and twist. We actually just did it last night in my BJJ club as an alternative to the self technique against a rear bear hug(gotta love those) for those with heavier opponents to lift.

I'd like to know the proper Japanese terms for all these since I took it in high school for 4 years and feel like a dick!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last