Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    ??? What? I’m confused here? You know the history of jiujitsu is that of men in armor fighting each other? Right? From Japan in this case. And it isn’t much different then styles from Europe that have gone by the wayside either. European knights were known to do the same thing...knock an opponent down and finish them. Much more effective. It didn’t look much like modern ground grappling though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My knife instructor who was trained in Japanese Juijitsu, Filipino stick fighting, and fencing is really really good. But he always laughs that based on historical documentation, due to his small stature, despite being a really good knife fighter, his job in the ancient militaries would most likely have been crawling around battle fields and finishing off wounded enemies or possibly and archer.

Seems like you just got done watching The Last Samurai and are now ready to pick up a katana. Just so you know, we do still have battlefield arts. If you want to learn one, join the Army. Otherwise do BJJ.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    My knife instructor who was trained in Japanese Juijitsu, Filipino stick fighting, and fencing is really really good. But he always laughs that based on historical documentation, due to his small stature, despite being a really good knife fighter, his job in the ancient militaries would most likely have been crawling around battle fields and finishing off wounded enemies or possibly and archer.
    Or tunnel rat, for mining warfare is old as ****. Also, ducking under pikemen was a thing for shorter soldiers.

He would have had a lot of ways to be killed in combat.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Seems like you just got done watching The Last Samurai and are now ready to pick up a katana. Just so you know, we do still have battlefield arts. If you want to learn one, join the Army. Otherwise do BJJ.
    At the Battle of Agincourt, when King Henry V held numerous French knights captive for ransom after the battle, he feared a second charge by French reinforcements so he ordered the slaughter of the captive knights. They were stabbed to death (allegedly through their visors - into the eyes) by the Archers, who possessed enormous strength owing to those Longbows with a 100pound draw-weight.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    At the Battle of Agincourt, when King Henry V held numerous French knights captive for ransom after the battle, he feared a second charge by French reinforcements so he ordered the slaughter of the captive knights. They were stabbed to death (allegedly through their visors - into the eyes) by the Archers, who possessed enormous strength owing to those Longbows with a 100pound draw-weight.
    I have a 100lb Mongolian (100 at 36inch draw)recurve bow. Most people either cant pull it to their cheek or they look like they are gonna have an aneurysm while they are trying to aim. It's pretty funny.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I have a 100lb Mongolian (100 at 36inch draw)recurve bow. Most people either cant pull it to their cheek or they look like they are gonna have an aneurysm while they are trying to aim. It's pretty funny.
    I've got a 70lb draw on my compound bow and I only have a couple friends who can draw it. Kids and women, zero. But it's a beast and I love it.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    Yes, a sophisticated bow and together with a horse, it's no wonder that Genghis Khan and his hordes came out of East and shocked Moscow and so much more.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Yes, a sophisticated bow and together with a horse, it's no wonder that Genghis Khan and his hordes came out of East and shocked Moscow and so much more.
    The Mongols really were the military and martial wonder that popular culture oftens portray the Samurai or Samurai forces as being.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    The Mongols really were the military and martial wonder that popular culture oftens portray the Samurai or Samurai forces as being.
    People think dueling is cool. Swordsmen get all the love.
    Now that wars are not fought without machines people forget what a horseman with a bow and lance can do.

36 inch draw?? Do you have John Jones arms?? And how the **** does that bow not stack like **** at 36??

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I was training on Mon night and my trg partner (who has an Eagle as a pet amongst other odd hobbies) remarked that he had got a longbow and was also set for a longbow making course and he was also expecting (or already had) a Mongolian bow. I was fairly gob-smacked by this and he mentioned Genghis and I told him that I'd visited his Mausoleum in Mongolia. He was well impressed by that - though I hastened that add that it was bollocks really as Genghis was buried at night by a river and his resting place trampled over by horses to obscure it. Anyway, he's quite versed in the history of it all. I mentioned how the mongols would place a piece of meat under the saddle and by the time they'd come to rest for the night, the meat had been cooked by the friction and heat given off by the trusty steed. Quite a good chat considering that he was also giving me a hammering....

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456