Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Standing Jiujitsu Self Defense

Iíve been having a discussion in another forum regarding a jiujitsu/judo techniques for self defense. Specifically while on your feet. Basically throws are we are discussing, though some move for 1 person end with a standing choke (like we have seen used in some videos). Any particular moves yíall have used or train or know that are suited for self defense and not just competitive matches?

Ps

I know I make a lot of these threads. (I just like to read and se(views on the subject. Expand my mind while I canít train (back injury)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Judo
    The set of techniques of German Ju Jutsu is supposed to systematically convey only techniques useful in self defence context. Developed and evolved with people being in practice (police, security, etc.), coming from Judo/Jiu Jiutsu.

Edit: In Jiu jiutsu I've been told that against armed guys anything other than somehow controlling the weapon and concussing the guy with brutal blows to the head isn't anything useful (by a very experienced bouncer in particular). This includes throws. Empty hand is where they shine.
    Last edited by Falenay; 3/20/2018 1:40pm at .

Style
    MMA
    Double- leg

Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    The set of techniques of German Ju Jutsu is supposed to systematically convey only techniques useful in self defence context. Developed and evolved with people being in practice (police, security, etc.), coming from Judo/Jiu Jiutsu.

Edit: In Jiu jiutsu I've been told that against armed guys anything other than somehow controlling the weapon and concussing the guy with brutal blows to the head isn't anything useful (by a very experienced bouncer in particular). This includes throws. Empty hand is where they shine.
    That is primarily where I was thinking. Empty hand. If someone has a weapon...I want mine too.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Iíve been having a discussion in another forum regarding a jiujitsu/judo techniques for self defense. Specifically while on your feet.
    Self defense encompasses a lot of things, but basically the techniques are the same ones used in sports.

The difference is what is at stake.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Iíve been having a discussion in another forum regarding a jiujitsu/judo techniques for self defense. Specifically while on your feet. Basically throws are we are discussing, though some move for 1 person end with a standing choke (like we have seen used in some videos). Any particular moves yíall have used or train or know that are suited for self defense and not just competitive matches?

Ps

I know I make a lot of these threads. (I just like to read and se(views on the subject. Expand my mind while I canít train (back injury)

Standing self defense really isn't part of Jiu Jitsu, at least not the Brazillian version, for the reason of taking away significant element of risk:
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Standing self defense really isn't part of Jiu Jitsu, at least not the Brazillian version
    Waiting for Florida Man, this is going to be fun...

Standing self defense really fpart of Jiu Jitsu, at least not the version didnthefor the reason of taking away significant element of risk:
    Just an observation. My school has a heavy emphasis on standing. I totally get where you are coming from. A lot of BJJ schools avoid standing. The risks. The fact that many student didnít wrestle either. But the art itself? Iíd say it has a standing game like kodokan judo with a few borrowed moves from wrestling. Not much difference. Not really. :shrug:

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Standing self defense really isn't part of Jiu Jitsu, at least not the Brazillian version, for the reason of taking away significant element of risk:
    False! But you are suppose to take them down a lot.

We teach a lot of where to put your hands before things kick off into a full fight situation. We talk about maintaining distances and then sets of moves from certain situations. When we refer to the Gracie basics that's basically what we're talking about.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Ps

Choking someone is often considered a use of lethal force legally speaking, even for self-defense purposes. So in an one on one, unarmed sort of situation, choking a MF out wouldn't be my go-to option unless there is some sort of huge differential in size and strength. So you would have to be able to articulate how you were about to die or be seriously injured.

If by jiu jitsu you mean Brazilian or Gracie Jiu Jitsu, or kind of bastardized Japanese ju ju/jitsu ?

Kodokan Judo has some standardized forms of self defense that are kind of more conceptual, and somewhat useful. If you are good at Judo already.

Which is always kinda my key point: To use judo effectively in self-defense, you need to be good at Judo. Because if you suck at Judo, how the heck is it going to work ?

Throwing techniques used will vary depending on the situation.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last