Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    cultural appropriation

warfox bagua? anyone know these guys?

apparently they are a Gao-style based group looking to do online bagua coaching, apparently meant to be more accessible

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Robert...=page_internal

http://warriorfox.blogspot.co.uk/201...-missions.html

not sure what other people think of his stuff but warfox sounds like either a metal gear boss or a anime villain

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    There will be videos on an almost weekly basis to help my online students with their practice from the comfort of their home. The first room is focused on the Heaven Section of training, meaning it is the simple truth of how techniques are used and applied.
    For the students who wish to go deeper, they will have to accept training missions in order to gain experience points for entry to the next room.
    This is an interesting concept. So it's like a video game, real life training system? I kind of want to try just to see how it is.

There are three types of training missions: Mind, Body and Spirit. Each one will be tailored to the individuals skills to help them better blend their martial existence with their daily life. To request a mission please send an email to [email protected]
    I want a mission, but then again is this going to end up like those blue whale things where you have to carve a whale into your arm and then jump in front of a train?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    This is an interesting concept. So it's like a video game, real life training system? I kind of want to try just to see how it is.

I want a mission, but then again is this going to end up like those blue whale things where you have to carve a whale into your arm and then jump in front of a train?
    watch out man, you might end up fighting a green beret before you do your SAT's and ending up in the kumite

edit: in total fairness I might look at their first lesson (its an hour and its free) and see what i make of it. Bagua is something I wouldnt mind learning just as something for fun, and this is infinitely more accessible to me than travelling about 3 cities over to learn from the only teacher I know who does it. Will report back
    Last edited by kimjonghng; 3/15/2018 10:14am at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post

apparently they are a Gao-style based group looking to do online bagua coaching, apparently meant to be more accessible

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Robert...=page_internal

http://warriorfox.blogspot.co.uk/201...-missions.html

not sure what other people think of his stuff but warfox sounds like either a metal gear boss or a anime villain
    Did you see any video of anybody actually trying to hit anybody full speed, doing anything realistically?

Guy got cut by that water bottle multiple times...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    watch out man, you might end up fighting a green beret before you do your SAT's and ending up in the kumite

edit: in total fairness I might look at their first lesson (its an hour and its free) and see what i make of it. Bagua is something I wouldnt mind learning just as something for fun, and this is infinitely more accessible to me than travelling about 3 cities over to learn from the only teacher I know who does it. Will report back
    I imagine that with your current training and fitness levels, you could flatten any of those guys in the videos I (admittedly briefly) viewed.

Your fetish for ineffective martial arts is quite endearing , though !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    SAMBO
    It looks like pretty standard Taiwanese Gao Bagua. I've trained in Cheng, Gao (Cheng offshoot), and Liang (Similar to Gao) and the styles themselves are pretty simple, but the mechanics are hidden in a lot of layers of BS mysticism in a lot of schools. If you already have some understanding of standing grappling like Judo or Wrestling it's going to make sense as Cheng was based heavily on Chinese Wrestling.

What's your interest with Bagazhang? Are you looking to learn the systems or just some supplemental material to what you're already doing? Fair warning Gao is a massive system and most people don't bother learning all of it. Cheng and Liang are both a lot smaller in comparison. If you're looking to dabble with the system and explore the material Tom Bisio of NY Internal Arts has a pretty good Liang Style distance learning program (https://www.internalartsinternational.com/programs/) that's pretty well regarded in Bagua circles, though still heavily focused on mysticism.

Now if you're looking for something less esoteric want to get more into the competitive Kuoshu side of things you should check out Luo Dexiu's Yizong (Gao) style material. Luo competed a lot a Kuoshu/Laitai in Taiwan and has had a lot of students who were successful in that area as well.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I trained some Bagua at the old Kungfu place I trained at. We also competed in San Shou. I always thought it was funny because the bagua would be circle walking and transitions and stuff like that, but when we fought it was just kickboxing. But we also trained Xingyi so you could throw the linear footwork in there. It was a good combination.

I liked Bagua but didn't have much time to devote to it with all the Tai Chi and Xingyi we were doing. At that time I had years of kickboxing training so Bagua and Xingyi were mostly just because I wanted to experience the traditional training and pajamas. I still do and teach Tai Chi.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I imagine that with your current training and fitness levels, you could flatten any of those guys in the videos I (admittedly briefly) viewed.

Your fetish for ineffective martial arts is quite endearing , though !
    Edit: Chi makes me moist

Man, like youve never thought of walking in circles and spinning like that? You can add chain punches too.

CHAIN

PUNCHES.

No but in seriousness, I'm going to watch his first lesson. Most of the time I like to look at other styles and go 'ok so that's basically this but their set up is this, might bare that in mind.' I just like to see the different methods people use to get to what their arts consider mastery :) At best, the weird and wacky are interesting/entertaining.
    Last edited by kimjonghng; 3/15/2018 12:39pm at .

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Did you see any video of anybody actually trying to hit anybody full speed, doing anything realistically?

Guy got cut by that water bottle multiple times...
    dont talk **** about water man, them volvic guys are no joke

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by halfcut View Post
    It looks like pretty standard Taiwanese Gao Bagua. I've trained in Cheng, Gao (Cheng offshoot), and Liang (Similar to Gao) and the styles themselves are pretty simple, but the mechanics are hidden in a lot of layers of BS mysticism in a lot of schools. If you already have some understanding of standing grappling like Judo or Wrestling it's going to make sense as Cheng was based heavily on Chinese Wrestling.

What's your interest with Bagazhang? Are you looking to learn the systems or just some supplemental material to what you're already doing? Fair warning Gao is a massive system and most people don't bother learning all of it. Cheng and Liang are both a lot smaller in comparison. If you're looking to dabble with the system and explore the material Tom Bisio of NY Internal Arts has a pretty good Liang Style distance learning program (https://www.internalartsinternational.com/programs/) that's pretty well regarded in Bagua circles, though still heavily focused on mysticism.

Now if you're looking for something less esoteric want to get more into the competitive Kuoshu side of things you should check out Luo Dexiu's Yizong (Gao) style material. Luo competed a lot a Kuoshu/Laitai in Taiwan and has had a lot of students who were successful in that area as well.
    Really Bagua to me is just something I'd like to learn more about than consider any serious practice. I've had discussions with guys whove done it through a school out in Bury I looked at a long time ago and they were of the opinion cheng style was very much an offshoot of wrestling experience and most of it's turns were set ups for throws. If that is truly the case, then I dont mind looking at it from that angle. I wouldnt mind dropping by any schools to see how their sparring plays out if they are going strictly Bagua with it either.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last