Thread: Gumtoogi

Style
    Kendo

Gumtoogi

https://youtu.be/e-2qAbEDi_0

A sub art of Hwarangdo which seems to be a copy of Kendo with some **** added to make it look cool to the untrained eye.

Really? rotational strikes? I would totally use a shinai, let alone a real katana, like that.....

Style
    Kendo
    Dont even know why hwarangdo is considered to be a Korean martial art when it doesn't even have branch schools here in Korea, let alone an HQ.

Style
    SAMBO
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkim030203 View Post
    Dont even know why hwarangdo is considered to be a Korean martial art when it doesn't even have branch schools here in Korea, let alone an HQ.
    The Hwrangdo organization is really nationalistic about it's Korean origins, but at the end of the day it's just another Hapkido school with a thick layer of revisionist (fake) ever changing history. It's kind of the same story with Kuk Sool Won only the group in Korea kept it under the banner of Hapkido and doesn't pretend otherwise

Style
    Kendo
    People who create new martial arts here tend to claim the outrageous to gain practitioners when it only drives them away. It was the case of TKD and HKD, and many, many more...

Korea is like the Afghanistan of martial arts. Nowadays even real historical arts like taekkyun and ssireum are considered fake here.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    https://youtu.be/e-2qAbEDi_0

A sub art of Hwarangdo which seems to be a copy of Kendo with some **** added to make it look cool to the untrained eye.

Really? rotational strikes? I would totally use a shinai, let alone a real katana, like that.....
    the fact it's a hwarangdo art should tell you right now it's like the **** 'now that's what i call music' remix CD's.

Instead of **** music getting worse, you just get beat up proportionally worse than you would studying something else

Style
    SAMBO
    People who create new martial arts here tend to claim the outrageous to gain practitioners when it only drives them away. It was the case of TKD and HKD, and many, many more...

Korea is like the Afghanistan of martial arts. Nowadays even real historical arts like taekkyun and ssireum are considered fake here.
    I haven't lived in Korea since 2004 so my experiences are going to be somewhat dated. The big thing I noticed was that the preposterous claims seemed to be more toned done in Korea, but as soon as the styles left the peninsula they went full-retard fast. Judo, TKD, and Kendo seemed to be largely normal across the board, but Hapkido has some strange **** going on with some of it's offshoots after they make their way out of Korea like we've seen with Kuk Sool, Hwrangdo, and Teukgong Moosool claiming ancient origins, secret training, hidden masters, etc.

It's baffling that people still buy it.