Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP

Why is there no uptick in firearms purchases in the US?

So, back when Obama was president and floated or implemented fairly modest gun control measures, such as trying to prevent the importation of inexpensive Communist surplus firearms from the Cold War, there was a frenzy of buying of guns and ammunition. I remember entire shipments of ammunition disappearing the same morning they arrived in Wal Mart. Not only .223, but even stuff like 9mm and .45 ACP, you basically had to order from outside of the United States in bulk in order to have any for training, sports, and so on.

Now, here we are, with Donald Trump being apparently much more openly receptive to "gun control" than Obama had been, breaking with the NRA moreso than any other Republican president probably would have, advocating a bump stock ban, and so on and so forth. You also have more grassroots political movement towards the old Democratic gun control platform, the apparent making of a Democratic wave in upcoming elections, and the general trend of young people being less invested in 2a rights and possibly being prejudiced against them due to coverage and politics of mass shootings.

It's kind of ironic that Trump had the NRA endorsement and a tremendous amount of support from the NRA in terms of very favorable coverage in their magazines and so on (I remember one magazine telling NRA members they had to "have his back"), and yet moreso than any other Republican he seems less receptive to them and more likely to verbalize disagreement towards them. I'm actually surprised there isn't more commentary on this.

Trump's feelings on firearms are probably closer to Obama's than many think. They're both urban people. 2a advocacy is in many ways a rural issue.

No frenzied purchasing of firearms or ammunition. Apparently no sense that there will be gun control or an "assault weapons ban". Why?

What are people thinking?

EDIT: I meant that like, help me understand what people are thinking. As in, what am I not understanding or seeing? It wasn't a rhetorical question implying criticism of anyone.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So, back when Obama was president and floated or implemented fairly modest gun control measures, such as trying to prevent the importation of inexpensive Communist surplus firearms from the Cold War, there was a frenzy of buying of guns and ammunition. I remember entire shipments of ammunition disappearing the same morning they arrived in Wal Mart. Not only .223, but even stuff like 9mm and .45 ACP, you basically had to order from outside of the United States in bulk in order to have any for training, sports, and so on.

Now, here we are, with Donald Trump being apparently much more openly receptive to "gun control" than Obama had been, breaking with the NRA moreso than any other Republican president probably would have, advocating a bump stock ban, and so on and so forth. You also have more grassroots political movement towards the old Democratic gun control platform, the apparent making of a Democratic wave in upcoming elections, and the general trend of young people being less invested in 2a rights and possibly being prejudiced against them due to coverage and politics of mass shootings.

It's kind of ironic that Trump had the NRA endorsement and a tremendous amount of support from the NRA in terms of very favorable coverage in their magazines and so on (I remember one magazine telling NRA members they had to "have his back"), and yet moreso than any other Republican he seems less receptive to them and more likely to verbalize disagreement towards them. I'm actually surprised there isn't more commentary on this.

Trump's feelings on firearms are probably closer to Obama's than many think. They're both urban people. 2a advocacy is in many ways a rural issue.

No frenzied purchasing of firearms or ammunition. Apparently no sense that there will be gun control or an "assault weapons ban". Why?

What are people thinking?

EDIT: I meant that like, help me understand what people are thinking. As in, what am I not understanding or seeing? It wasn't a rhetorical question implying criticism of anyone.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I did already spend thousands of dollars stocking up while Obama was king. It doesn't make sense for me to go on a buying spree, now, because I already have a small arsenal.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I did already spend thousands of dollars stocking up while Obama was king. It doesn't make sense for me to go on a buying spree, now, because I already have a small arsenal.
    Exactly.

I stocked up right before the election, as I figured Hillary would win.

No need to go buy more unless it looks like bans are imminent, which I do not think will be the case under Trump.
    "Through the centuries, the Jews have endured terrible persecution, and you know that. We've all read it, studied it. They've gone through a lot. And those seeking their destruction, we will seek their destruction." -President Donald Trump, spewing his Nazi, racist, anti-Semitism.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Apparently all the fucking hoarders/resellers don't think anything significant is going to happen. Plus, I think that ammo manufacturers have caught up with demand. I know I can get .22 LR ammo now for my kids without having to pay exorbitant prices for what little I could find.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Thanks for all the input. I think that a lot of 2a focused voters are misjudging Trump with regard to his comfort level with "assault weapons"; I believe he is more likely to push some kind of gun control than other candidates who have actually grew up or lived in areas where firearms are an important aspect of culture.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Thanks for all the input. I think that a lot of 2a focused voters are misjudging Trump with regard to his comfort level with "assault weapons"; I believe he is more likely to push some kind of gun control than other candidates who have actually grew up or lived in areas where firearms are an important aspect of culture.

What benefit would that serve him?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    He can push, however, at least the House still has a solid Republican majority...

So it's safe for him to play both sides of the fence, as usual.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    That's where I'm at. I never stopped stocking up, to be honest with you. So, I have no rush because I'm pretty much always gradually increasing my arsenal. <---not that I have an arsenal, sir (I know you are reading this), it's a figure of speech.

I never believed he was a republican or even pro 2A. Just that he knows what to yell and repeat to get the votes he needs at the time. He doesn't stand on principles.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I never believed he was a republican or even pro 2A. Just that he knows what to yell and repeat to get the votes he needs at the time. He doesn't stand on principles.
    So his choice of SC Justice doesn't change your mind on that?

The judge he chose is considered to be quite a Constitutionalist/pro 2nd Amendment type.

If Trump weren't really a Rep or a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, he could have easily just let Merrick Garland get a vote instead of putting up a man like Neil Gorsuch.
    "Through the centuries, the Jews have endured terrible persecution, and you know that. We've all read it, studied it. They've gone through a lot. And those seeking their destruction, we will seek their destruction." -President Donald Trump, spewing his Nazi, racist, anti-Semitism.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last