Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnypbjj View Post
    Just curious, what would you gleam from the timeframe that you posted?
    I'll gladly give you my hypothesis/interpretation of the facts so far once you answer my question:

Wheres everyone training at these days?

Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Combat Lab Martial Arts in Coolum Beach (Cooltown), Queensland Australia.

And you?
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Where did you say you train at again?
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 3/08/2018 9:57pm at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    IBJJF "requires" 24 months at blue, and 18 at purple. But, I believe there has been a lot of sandbagging, in the past, as well. Especially with orgs like GB, dominance is not an individual sport. This is the classic "what does it take to be a black belt," argument that has plagued us forever.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    That according to IBJJF, at worst he received his brown belt a couple of months early, and so may not be able to compete in IBJJF as a brown belt. Of course he is in good company there with Gordon Ryan, Travis Stevens and a few others who received their black belts in far under the required amount of time. Then there is Ben Askren who promoted himself, admittedly, to BJJ black belt and has issued a challenge to any black belt who says he doesn't deserve it.
    So here you have a guy who seems to have gotten his blue and purple belts, possibly with a bit of sand bagging, from Gracie Barra, and then got his brown belt a couple of months "early." For me I don't see an issue with it, as Renzo Gracie has repeatedly demonstrated we don't have to stay in IBJJF's hamster wheel. Same thing with wearing red instructor bars, seems quite normative to me.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    That according to IBJJF, at worst he received his brown belt a couple of months early, and so may not be able to compete in IBJJF as a brown belt. Of course he is in good company there with Gordon Ryan, Travis Stevens and a few others who received their black belts in far under the required amount of time. Then there is Ben Askren who promoted himself, admittedly, to BJJ black belt and has issued a challenge to any black belt who says he doesn't deserve it.
    So here you have a guy who seems to have gotten his blue and purple belts, possibly with a bit of sand bagging, from Gracie Barra, and then got his brown belt a couple of months "early." For me I don't see an issue with it, as Renzo Gracie has repeatedly demonstrated we don't have to stay in IBJJF's hamster wheel. Same thing with wearing red instructor bars, seems quite normative to me.
    IBJJF Doesn't control rank outside of IBJJF. AS you know.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    IBJJF Doesn't control rank outside of IBJJF. AS you know.
    I do know that. I also know that increasingly IBJJF is becoming the de facto ruling body of BJJ, more so outside of the US, but even to a certain degree inside the US. So that increasingly when IBJJF belt graduation rules aren't followed people start to yell fake. My own feelings on it are that if a black belt wants to put his name to someone, than that should be up to them. The quality, or lack thereof, will ultimately blow back on the black belt that promoted.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Page 4 of 4 First 1234