Style
    all things in Moderation

Genetic properties help identify illegally traded tropical hardwood

Speaking of genetics it isn't just cloned pets, a Research Group at Wageningen University has managed to reliably (92% of the time) get a tropical hardwood origin within 14 km. That is like 8.6992 miles or something.
    https://www.wur.nl/en/news-wur/Show/...l-hardwood.htm
    Around 30-90 percent of all tropical hardwood is logged illegally. Checks on the origin of wood, however thorough, are not particularly effective because documentation may be fraudulent. Researchers in Wageningen have now developed a method for identifying illegal timber.
    “The fact that we can accurately differentiate the origin of timber down to a 14 km radius is new,” says lead author Mart Vlam of the Forest Ecology and Forest Management Research Group at Wageningen University. “Previous studies only managed to do that on a much coarser scale.”
    That opening line is awesome btw. 30-90% I can't roll my eyes hard enough.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Speaking of genetics it isn't just cloned pets, a Research Group at Wageningen University has managed to reliably (92% of the time) get a tropical hardwood origin within 14 km. That is like 8.6992 miles or something.

Its cool in terms of technology but its not going to stop ****. Lumber companies know if wood is illagally harvested, they’ll turn a blind eye if it means cheaper product that they can still charge same rates for. Deforestation of the amazon comes to mind.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

Neato.

More seriously, though, why are we cloning MechaStreisand's dogs, and not cloning endangered species? Oh, wait, we are: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/its-for...ancient-trees/

Look out, Jeff Goldblum!

Style
    all things in Moderation
    I don't mind paying a little more for the scraps I use, if they ever get these projects making some positive changes.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I don't mind paying a little more for the scraps I use, if they ever get these projects making some positive changes.
    I just want to be able to afford a real rosewood fretboard. I think genetics could pull that off, eventually.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Lab meat is down to 72 dollars a pound so it may be here soon or at least a wood that looks and has the properties of rosewood. I have read about people doing some crazy stuff.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Lab meat is down to 72 dollars a pound so it may be here soon or at least a wood that looks and has the properties of rosewood. I have read about people doing some crazy stuff.
    Tech does have a way of getting stuff done. Ovations are really nice instruments. They are probably objectively superior to any legacy instrument, but it's music... so objectivity means almost exactly dick. I'm ok with lab meat, and I'm ok with lab rosewood, when they finally get here.