Style
    cultural appropriation

Taekwondo/Tangsoodo technical questions

Ok so the place I work has a Chung Do Kwan school teaching and I went to check it out. Mostly teenagers and young kids, with one much older lady. I went to check out a few classes and wanted to ask a technical question that's been bugging me, and I couldnt get an answer from the instructor.

In Takewondo/Chung Do Kwan, the back kick we were taught is to step forward onto the ball of the foot like a cat stance, but turn the foot back towards ourselves, then turn around and throw the leg out, without looking where we are aiming AND with the shoulders square so that we are facing directly backward. effectively putting you in this position

Now I've not done much TKD, but this is a first for me. Seems a very vulnerable position to be in when your opponent can step to the side and you've lost sight of them, or worse, they see the telegraphed movement and you're offering your back. Is this normal for TKD?
    Last edited by kimjonghng; 3/06/2018 1:49pm at .

Well sure. That is why I say there is no such thing as a spinning back kick really. People at high levels can throw a back kick using your description with some tweaks here and there. People always teach it wrong and it doesn't work for them so like all and everything else in TKD gets a bad reputation. I throw it a lot and one of my students used it effectively in Thailand last week. It's taught wrong is the problem and continues to this day. It won't be telegraphed with guys that know how to use it. Some MT guys fall for it but it has to be timed. I have to constantly explain this to some of the MMA guys in the gym that do striking.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok so the place I work has a Chung Do Kwan school teaching and I went to check it out. Mostly teenagers and young kids, with one much older lady. I went to check out a few classes and wanted to ask a technical question that's been bugging me, and I couldnt get an answer from the instructor.

In Takewondo/Chung Do Kwan, the back kick we were taught is to step forward onto the ball of the foot like a cat stance, but turn the foot back towards ourselves, then turn around and throw the leg out, without looking where we are aiming AND with the shoulders square so that we are facing directly backward. effectively putting you in this position

Now I've not done much TKD, but this is a first for me. Seems a very vulnerable position to be in when your opponent can step to the side and you've lost sight of them, or worse, they see the telegraphed movement and you're offering your back. Is this normal for TKD?
    Yeah, very vulnerable. We've dropped a few people that insisted on throwing a kick like this over the years. It can work if you used it as a counter, not so much as an outright attack.

Style
    Kendo

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFt5kJCL3A

Counter with a spinning back kick after dodging an attempted front kick.

Style
    Taijutsu/TSD/TKD
    Too risky. As a counter? Maybe. Unless the practitioner is very skilled to minimize telegraphing the kick, save it.

Most guys, if they are skilled, won't telegraph a kick like that. It's not too risky. Depends on the practitioner.

Quote Originally Posted by dhkim030203 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFt5kJCL3A

Counter with a spinning back kick after dodging an attempted front kick.
    Its a reverse hook kick not a back kick. He threw it a little weird that's all. These are ITF guys.