Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    kickboxing/muay thai,

Alright bois rate this HEMA throw on a scale of 1-10 in effectiveness.

Rate this throw on a scale of 1-10 in effectiveness and then rate it on a scale of 1-10 in sportsmanship.

https://www.facebook.com/ramon.santo...5905103684448/

Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Narimasu773 View Post
    Rate this throw on a scale of 1-10 in effectiveness and then rate it on a scale of 1-10 in sportsmanship.

Throw your weapon to the ground to effect a throw? On a wooden floor?

What a crock of **** sportsmanship wise. Hopefully he was disqualified.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 3/06/2018 1:35pm at .

Style
    Boxing
    Nice throw, though disarming yourself to do it seems dumb.

I've never been to a HEMA event, but the reaction of everyone there tells me that it was pretty unsportsmanlike. Although, so did body slamming someone on a wooden floor.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Well, highly effective, no doubt, under the circumstances.

Total dick move on a hard surface, or if outside of the agreed to ruleset.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Some of the Facebook comments are precious regarding brute force and lack of skill/control. That was highly skillful and totally controlled use of force.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Effectiveness: 10-10

Sportsmanship: LOL getting hit with the Earth sucks. The rules are dumb. Throws should be legal and there should be mats or they should be illegal. Half baked ideas cause problems. Stopping half way through a throw can be difficult. Going from fight speed to demo speed takes quite a bit of control over your opponent. If you aren't that much better than them or stronger thatn them you might not be able to stop in the middle or if you do the person will defeat the throw. The rules are inadvertently asking for this sort of situation. I would bet they were written by someone without a deep understanding of grappling.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    Nice throw, though disarming yourself to do it seems dumb.
    It's only dumb if it doesn't work. It's genius when it works.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Sportsmanship: LOL getting hit with the Earth sucks. The rules are dumb. Throws should be legal and there should be mats or they should be illegal. Half baked ideas cause problems. Stopping half way through a throw can be difficult. Going from fight speed to demo speed takes quite a bit of control over your opponent. If you aren't that much better than them or stronger thatn them you might not be able to stop in the middle or if you do the person will defeat the throw. The rules are inadvertently asking for this sort of situation. I would bet they were written by someone without a deep understanding of grappling.
    yeah, the some of the comments suggested a lack of understanding of grappling...

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I don't condone purposely injuring your opponent in a "friendly," competition... but, this is martial arts. If the ref asks for a medic, you're doing it right-ish. If the rules allowed it, you're doing it right-ish. Without reading all the comments, there are some inferences that this may not have been a friendly match, or that the thrower is some sort of psycho. I can't speak to those points.

But, the throwee said in his OP, he knew that getting hurt was very possible. Do any of the guys with helmets and heavy armor think that getting hurt isn't a possibility? Complaining about it, later, especially if the move was legal, is kind of unsportsmanlike, too.

Also, would like to see unedited version, if it exists - it appeared that the thrower wasn't a total dick, and his posture just as the clip goes out seems to indicate genuine concern.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Yep. Drives me nuts, especially when the historical treatises make it so blatantly obvious that weaponed grappling and throwing was a major - even defining - aspect of the original styles.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last