Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Cuong Nhu? I Call BS! Very Disrespectful So-Called "Master"

My nine year old daughter and I spent six weeks at the headquarters/dojo for Cuong Nhu in Jacksonville, FL run by Quynh Ngo, the “grandmaster” of the art. In those few weeks we were shocked and saddened by multiple disrespectful, rude and prejudiced statements made by the man. He tends to go on rambling lectures during the sit-down time when he has a captive audience, including many children and youth. The comments made included 1) telling children to not apologize for things that they know are wrong as such an apology is insincere, 2) calling overweight people lazy and stating that no one wants to hire them, and 3) calling professional athletes “the lowest of the low” for risking their lives for their career. My young daughter, upon hearing each of those statements, looked at me in disbelief.
    This is not our first martial art and I have never seen or heard of an art where the leader was so blatantly rude and disrespectful. As he sets the tone for all his dojos, it is difficult to believe that his offensive views are not carried over and taught to his instructors. I was raised to show unconditional respect, even to those who are rude and offensive. When I politely spoke with Quynh Ngo in front of two other black belts and explained how his comments were very offensive to me and my family, he became extremely defensive and ultimately said that there must be something wrong with me from my past that I would take such offense. I bowed to him out of respect, left the dojo and will never return.
    Every martial art I have ever heard of, seen and participated in has respect for one’s self and others as a core principal. I have never seen a black belt “teach” by lecturing on politics, religion or personal biases. We all go to learn the art, not be lectured on personal matters. Cuong Nhu is a new art but the comments and attitudes demonstrated by Quynh Ngo are as old as ignorance and prejudice. As Quynh Ngo is the head of this order, his words and actions speak for all. As for me and my daughter, we will have nothing to do with such a disrespectful, rude and uneducated prejudice toward others. I strongly suggest you find another martial art whose teachers understand that respect is more than a word and must be demonstrated at all times by everyone.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Welcome to Bullshido. Unfortunately at this time your post does not qualify for a MABS thread, there is no supporting evidence with your claims. So I am moving it to YMAS, one of our subforum with more lax rules.

As you post and gather information and sources I am sure myself or another poster or moderator would be happy to help you create a thread which is MABS worthy. I think you need 5 or 10 posts to earn the ability to post links. So until then is there anything else you can share with us on the topic?
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 2/26/2018 9:51pm at .
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    what style?
    Quote Originally Posted by respectfulone View Post
    My nine year old daughter and I spent six weeks at the headquarters/dojo for Cuong Nhu in Jacksonville, FL run by Quynh Ngo, the “grandmaster” of the art. In those few weeks we were shocked and saddened by multiple disrespectful, rude and prejudiced statements made by the man. He tends to go on rambling lectures during the sit-down time when he has a captive audience, including many children and youth. The comments made included 1) telling children to not apologize for things that they know are wrong as such an apology is insincere, 2) calling overweight people lazy and stating that no one wants to hire them, and 3) calling professional athletes “the lowest of the low” for risking their lives for their career. My young daughter, upon hearing each of those statements, looked at me in disbelief.
    This is not our first martial art and I have never seen or heard of an art where the leader was so blatantly rude and disrespectful. As he sets the tone for all his dojos, it is difficult to believe that his offensive views are not carried over and taught to his instructors. I was raised to show unconditional respect, even to those who are rude and offensive. When I politely spoke with Quynh Ngo in front of two other black belts and explained how his comments were very offensive to me and my family, he became extremely defensive and ultimately said that there must be something wrong with me from my past that I would take such offense. I bowed to him out of respect, left the dojo and will never return.
    Every martial art I have ever heard of, seen and participated in has respect for one’s self and others as a core principal. I have never seen a black belt “teach” by lecturing on politics, religion or personal biases. We all go to learn the art, not be lectured on personal matters. Cuong Nhu is a new art but the comments and attitudes demonstrated by Quynh Ngo are as old as ignorance and prejudice. As Quynh Ngo is the head of this order, his words and actions speak for all. As for me and my daughter, we will have nothing to do with such a disrespectful, rude and uneducated prejudice toward others. I strongly suggest you find another martial art whose teachers understand that respect is more than a word and must be demonstrated at all times by everyone.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Just to make sure we are all on the same page...

These guys and gals?

... wow... I am sorry you were exposed this in person.
    I can't imagine.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    all things in Moderation

These people are hilarious.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    all things in Moderation
    ...and in case anyone is interested in a MA history lesson, not just Cuong Nhu btw, but karate, wing chun, and others!
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    street paddleboarding
    How the hell do you pronounce Quynh Ngo?

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How the hell do you pronounce Quynh Ngo?
    Correctly, unless you want a verbal scolding on the mats.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by respectfulone View Post
    Look, if you’re going to train stupid bullshit from an idiot, you may hear some stupid ****.

It’s kind of you’re own fault for bothering with this crap.

Style
    Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

Impossible! (to punch someone if you don't actually try to punch them. Get your **** together Seth.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last