Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last
  1. #11
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    You are suggesting debating with the NRA. Well, fair enough, but isn't that exactly what has been tried for decades and met nothing but complete ignorance? I'm surely biased, but the only "arguments" I can remember from the NRA are "the 4th Amendment does not allow for restrictions" and "only more guns help preventing gun violence", both of which have been shown to be complete nonsense time and again.
    Oh there is retardation that's for sure, but let's not pretend that retardation only exists on one side. If an argument is dumb then it's easy enough to oppose, but saying that someone should silence their side of the argument is a bit like saying nah nah boo boo.

    Let me use an example of both sides being equal in retardation: One side wants more guns in schools. That is just a really dumb idea that only serves their agenda. It doesn't really solve the problem and if anything it might make it worse.

    But on there side of the coin you have the let's ban bump stocks crowd. I find that retarded because they don't even really understand at a basic level what a bump stock is and that it's realistically not possible to ban something that can be homemade or that isn't really needed to create the effect in the first place. It's an idea and you can't ban an idea no matter how hard you try.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    228
    Style
    Judo
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Oh there is retardation that's for sure, but let's not pretend that retardation only exists on one side. If an argument is dumb then it's easy enough to oppose, but saying that someone should silence their side of the argument is a bit like saying nah nah boo boo.

    Let me use an example of both sides being equal in retardation: One side wants more guns in schools. That is just a really dumb idea that only serves their agenda. It doesn't really solve the problem and if anything it might make it worse.

    But on there side of the coin you have the let's ban bump stocks crowd. I find that retarded because they don't even really understand at a basic level what a bump stock is and that it's realistically not possible to ban something that can be homemade or that isn't really needed to create the effect in the first place. It's an idea and you can't ban an idea no matter how hard you try.
    Point taken. One thing I liked about BFM's "do not oppose objective scientific inquiry regarding the causes of the problems we have with gun violence in the first place".

    It will not be done by banning any additional equipment. It will not be done by just silencing one side of the debate.

    On the other hand, it's a symbol by corporations that they do not support a certain line of thought or mindset as part of their corporate strategy, maybe even concern. Symbols can become powerful.

    A change of mind can only be achieved through symbolic acts. And I guess that's what's needed through all social strata to achieve any betterment. This and working on other causes that are kept in the dark by sentences like "If only the teachers have had weapons!", "We need to ban XYZ!" and "All these people are bought by the media and the Democratic Party!".

    Standard strategy: Degrade opposing voices and offer idiotic alternatives that are not backed up by any factual foundation. On both sides.

  3. #13
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,643
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    Point taken. One thing I liked about BFM's "do not oppose objective scientific inquiry regarding the causes of the problems we have with gun violence in the first place".

    It will not be done by banning any additional equipment. It will not be done by just silencing one side of the debate.

    On the other hand, it's a symbol by corporations that they do not support a certain line of thought or mindset as part of their corporate strategy, maybe even concern. Symbols can become powerful.

    A change of mind can only be achieved through symbolic acts. And I guess that's what's needed through all social strata to achieve any betterment. This and working on other causes that are kept in the dark by sentences like "If only the teachers have had weapons!", "We need to ban XYZ!" and "All these people are bought by the media and the Democratic Party!".

    Standard strategy: Degrade opposing voices and offer idiotic alternatives that are not backed up by any factual foundation. On both sides.
    You sir are far too level headed and logical for this debate.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    228
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You sir are far too level headed and logical for this debate.
    Doing multiple martial arts, German, Philosopher, Kantian .... I mean, I'm like the fucking embodiment of being level headed and logical.

  5. #15
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    7,074
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1
    Puff piece on CNN from Variety:
    http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...mp-1202710332/

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zucker
    ... the fact is nobody for some reason is looking at these monopolies that are Google and Facebook. That’s where the government should be looking, and helping to make sure everyone else survives. I think that’s probably the biggest issue facing the growth of journalism in the years ahead.
    Jeff Zucker is the president of CNN.

  6. #16
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    7,074
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1
    Obama had a "secret sports meeting," the other day, which was getting some play in the press. Now, we have some details:

    Quote Originally Posted by tfa
    Obama thinks Google, Facebook, etc., are "a public good as well as a commercial enterprise," and should consider whether they are corroding our democracy.
    https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/26/b...t-sloan-sports

    (please, don't shoot the submessenger for using a righty-site)

  7. #17
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    7,074
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    3
    Google: "oops"

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-wing-channels

    Executive summary: in an effort to combat #fakenews, Google assigned humans to flag and take down content and entire accounts. They fucked up.

  8. #18
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,347
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Google: "oops"

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-wing-channels

    Executive summary: in an effort to combat #fakenews, Google assigned humans to flag and take down content and entire accounts. They fucked up.
    or their Auto-Mod was less biased... and people are being snowflakes when they find out words matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by article
    YouTube’s official policy says that "harmful or dangerous" and "hateful" content can violate its guidelines. If video creators break the rules three times within three months, YouTube terminates the account.

    Alex Jones, who runs Infowars and has pushed conspiracy theories about school shootings, is the most outspoken self-proclaimed victim of YouTube. He said this week that YouTube told him his account faces two strikes. On Tuesday, an Infowars article stated that Google was "purging conservative media," claiming that "CNN and other news outlets" were lobbying Google to terminate the Infowars channel.
    Basically alex jones and a bunch of fringe edgelords and maybe a somewhat good gun channel or two whose transcripts probably look a lot worse than when taken in context got taken down, some by apparent mistake tho I am guessing "less mistakes" and just more outliers in some machine learning library. Auto-Mod will get better.

    LEAVE AUTO_MOD AlONE!

    Discord just banned a bunch of Alt-Right channels... I assume their auto-mod helped. Auto-Mod is your friend. He keeps you safe and will occasionally make mistakes. Teach it, let it learn and grow.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  9. #19
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    7,074
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Auto-Mod is your friend. He keeps you safe and will occasionally make mistakes. Teach it, let it learn and grow.
    Thanks, Rabbit.

  10. #20
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,347
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Thanks, Rabbit.
    I don't understand.

    Auto-Mod is friend.
    Auto-Mod will always be friend.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in