Page 2 of 12 First 123456 ... Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    As a mild techy.
    God no. Don't put a puzzle box with a gun inside, inside a damn school you want kids to achieve in. There better just be a detention slip inside dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    You're a big techy nut, how's about this: a rifle in every classroom, locked but openable by biometrics by trained and authorized staff only (obviously a backup key for maintenance and LE use, similar to how the fire department has a lockbox with all keys to public and commercial properties), and which calls 911, NORAD, and everybody when accessed.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Great idea.

Not only is it trying something new, it will be an excellent case study.

Maybe it will prevent school shootings like one side says, and maybe we'll see teachers going off and shooting kids like the other side says.

If it goes into law, we'll get to see which side was correct.
    "Oh my God. What a bunch of pussies! Back in my day, if you wanted to tease someone you did it to their face. There was honor, respect." -Sensei Johnny Lawrence, on cyberbullying

Style
    Boxing

The bill in question (assuming it passes and is signed) requires weapons to be kept in special lockboxes, except in case of emergency. Seems like a reasonable compromise to both the AD/ND scenarios, as well as the heat-of-the-moment scenarios.
    Now the kids who want to steal a gun know where to find it. Some teacher is going to reach into the lockbox looking for a gun, and just find an old yogourt instead.

Assuming the lockbox is still there.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    Now the kids who want to steal a gun know where to find it. Some teacher is going to reach into the lockbox looking for a gun, and just find an old yogourt instead.

Assuming the lockbox is still there.
    Kentucky has one of the higher rates of gun ownership in the US, and is an open carry state, and very permissive on ownership. There are plenty of easier places to steal a gun from, I'm sure.

Style
    Boxing
    Easier sure, but some kids would love to be the one who stole a "school gun".

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I like the idea of letting teachers who are certified to use them, carry guns. I would prefer concealed. Sure you have the instances people are arguing about the cop in Florida who was armed and then didn't act. You will definitely have teachers who are armed that don't act. BUT if you have a teacher there who will act, I would like for that person to have a gun they can use rather than shielding or running unarmed at a shooter.

I like having more options than fewer.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Which hundred million never hurt anybody?

You bring guns into schools, somebody's gonna die. You wanna bet on it? We shouldn't we even be having this conversation when there are other options.
    Wow, the SRO was in my kid's middle school yesterday.

Nobody died, so you are wrong.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Kentucky doesn't think there are other options, I believe that's why we're having this conversation.

The bill in question (assuming it passes and is signed) requires weapons to be kept in special lockboxes, except in case of emergency. Seems like a reasonable compromise to both the AD/ND scenarios, as well as the heat-of-the-moment scenarios.

You're a big techy nut, how's about this: a rifle in every classroom, locked but openable by biometrics by trained and authorized staff only (obviously a backup key for maintenance and LE use, similar to how the fire department has a lockbox with all keys to public and commercial properties), and which calls 911, NORAD, and everybody when accessed.
    No.

So kid sneaks knife into classroom, assaults teacher, and says " open the case or I'll kill you".

Arming teachers...would need to go through screening process, regular training, etc.

Better would be SRO in each school and limiting access, screening visitors, etc.

And somebody paying attention to what is going on in the school and related social media...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I like the idea of letting teachers who are certified to use them, carry guns. I would prefer concealed. Sure you have the instances people are arguing about the cop in Florida who was armed and then didn't act. You will definitely have teachers who are armed that don't act. BUT if you have a teacher there who will act, I would like for that person to have a gun they can use rather than shielding or running unarmed at a shooter.

I like having more options than fewer.

Stop being so reasonable, this is the OMG gun in school and people DIE thread...

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No.

So kid sneaks knife into classroom, assaults teacher, and says " open the case or I'll kill you".

Arming teachers...would need to go through screening process, regular training, etc.

Better would be SRO in each school and limiting access, screening visitors, etc.

And somebody paying attention to what is going on in the school and related social media...
    Not sure if serious... "locked but openable by trained and authorized staff," is not far different than Diesel's trained but concealed. The primary difference being that the weapon is not as immediately deployable in my scenario.

Page 2 of 12 First 123456 ... Last