Page 11 of 12 First ... 789101112 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So two people with mental illness illegally carry guns into school and it's a bad idea to train and arm teachers ?

I do not think the first solution is to "arm teachers", but really, bad logic is happening.
    Many sources are pointing at and making convenient correlations with headlines.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Many sources are pointing at and making convenient correlations with headlines.
    Agreed. The background noise from trying to WIN is deafening at times. Well, all the fucking time, really

Let's have a big infrastructure project built around improving school security. And I don't just mean arming teachers or "hardening" schools,either.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Agreed. The background noise from trying to WIN is deafening at times. Well, all the fucking time, really

Let's have a big infrastructure project built around improving school security. And I don't just mean arming teachers or "hardening" schools,either.
    It will make hiring and paying more teachers better much more likely if there are classrooms and buildings to teach in! You are a fucking genius! We could build new schools with proper, classy, defensive measures built in them properly with the correct number of classrooms for the number of teachers and students. Oh the number of problems it could solve and the hoorah America can do spin you could put on it. All about the children and future America's place in the world, dignity and equality and a fresh start and equal chance so the unknown great minds can lead America's future as we again shape the world.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Jits
    Conspiracy mode on

These fireams incidents in schools are being perpetrated by sleeper agents of the home-schooling lobby.

Conspiracy mode off

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    It will make hiring and paying more teachers better much more likely if there are classrooms and buildings to teach in! You are a fucking genius! We could build new schools with proper, classy, defensive measures built in them properly with the correct number of classrooms for the number of teachers and students. Oh the number of problems it could solve and the hoorah America can do spin you could put on it. All about the children and future America's place in the world, dignity and equality and a fresh start and equal chance so the unknown great minds can lead America's future as we again shape the world.
    Well, I do have a Masters in Obviousology...

The problem is, most education is funded by individual states, via various taxes. Could the Feds give them money (grants?)...I suppose they could, for upgrades or new construction. But the Feds are not going to be providing ongoing pay-raises for school teachers.

That I know of anyway, please edumacate me if otherwise.

Yeah, if Trump started pushing that and succeeded, he'd be a fucking hero. Not holding my breath...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Conspiracy mode on

These fireams incidents in schools are being perpetrated by sleeper agents of the home-schooling lobby.

Conspiracy mode off
    Considering the last big major news about home schooled kids was the Turpin family....yeah I've been thinking about this. Home schooling has its ups and downs and these cases bring up a good point about why it's not always a great idea to introduce unstable people into the public school system.

There's actually a good argument to be made for home schooling kids like Cruz, as it avoids putting dangerous kids like him around others. But like the Turpin situation proved...there does need to be some sort of external oversight of what's being taught and the exact situation of the kids (are they being taught normal stuff by mom and dad or tutors, or are they being converted to some sort of religious cult).

The counter is that it just keeps them off the radar. Like Lanza, they eventually disappear from the public eye, hidden by trash bags on windows, playing Call of Duty obsessively repeating their murder spree fantasies, before deciding on a random Friday to execute a room full of grade schoolers.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Looks like I was wrong about W.Virginia teachers. They are still striking seems the proposal they were suppose to accept tried to kill future bargaining rights. Good on them. If people want safer schools they need to start with teachers and staff who are compensated well and worth having around. Not teachers and staff who work for bottom of the barrel wages.

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entr...trike_wildcat/
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Considering the last big major news about home schooled kids was the Turpin family....yeah I've been thinking about this. Home schooling has its ups and downs and these cases bring up a good point about why it's not always a great idea to introduce unstable people into the public school system.

There's actually a good argument to be made for home schooling kids like Cruz, as it avoids putting dangerous kids like him around others. But like the Turpin situation proved...there does need to be some sort of external oversight of what's being taught and the exact situation of the kids (are they being taught normal stuff by mom and dad or tutors, or are they being converted to some sort of religious cult).

The counter is that it just keeps them off the radar. Like Lanza, they eventually disappear from the public eye, hidden by trash bags on windows, playing Call of Duty obsessively repeating their murder spree fantasies, before deciding on a random Friday to execute a room full of grade schoolers.
    Parenting failures in both cases, foster or otherwise

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    I was having this conversation with an old school friend yesterday.
    We were pretty confident that we grew up with atleast a few unhinged characters potentially capable of this kind of madness if it was made easy for them.

Guns seam to do that but I do not think that the mental problems behind them are exclusively American and are more a western thing generally .

America with its current gun laws in combination seam to create the perfect storm for this to happen.

Guns in schools is a horrendous idea but I cant say I dont think its necessary in the immediate future until other solutions are implimented .

On a side note I have been looking at property in Boulder Colorado with a view to maybe moving to the US but my wife has changed her mind for now based on this issue alone .
    The idea of school shootings and teachers with guns has justifiably scared the crap out of her so for now we will take our chances with the tyrannical government potential .

Perhaps the missus can take solace in knowing that texting while driving is still far more of a risk to kids in the US, objectively speaking?

Are you a pot head?

Page 11 of 12 First ... 789101112 Last