Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last
  1. #1
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,577
    Style
    xingyi
    3

    Kentucky Moves To Add Guns To Schools After School Shooting

    https://www.npr.org/2018/02/20/58736...chool-shooting


    Someone didn't like my suggestion in another thread, but short of a ban, what can you do.

  2. #2
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,918
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "It increases that kid's chances of surviving. And if there is someone there with a weapon, they will be able to take down the assailant, or at least calm the situation," West said.

    Under Senate Bill 103, public school boards and private schools would be able to tap teachers or staff to serve as "school marshals," who would be allowed to carry a gun on campus if they have a concealed carry permit.

    In Kentucky, concealed carry classes teach basic firearm mechanics and safety, but don't train participants for active shooter situations—the only circumstance the bill would allow school staff to use the guns.

    The weapons would have to be stored in a lockbox somewhere on school property at all other times.
    Marshall County, Benton that is the Paducah area. Where I spent 15 years of my adult life and had a child in the school system. This is a terrible idea. Not just because they are putting guns and children's lives in the hands of underpaid and overworked people who are not trained to shoot under pressure but because they already have Officers in all the schools. Or at least they did 5-6 years ago.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    856
    Style
    Bjj, mma
    1
    I remember in high school my class gave some teachers hell. 1 had a break down and 1 cried. I can see a teacher snapping and on impulse and putting some holes in a student.

  4. #4
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    8,023
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    I remember in high school my class gave some teachers hell. 1 had a break down and 1 cried. I can see a teacher snapping and on impulse and putting some holes in a student.
    Yeah, that could happen now. Because shooters gonna shoot, they don't give a crap about the law (at that point).

    Also, why does everyone automatically think that because there's a gun somebody will get shot? There are literally hundreds of MILLIONS of guns that are never used to harm another human. But, you let guns into a 20,000 square foot building that they've never been allowed in, and everyone's gonna die? ****, people. Common sense, please. Just a little bit.

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,386
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Yeah, that could happen now. Because shooters gonna shoot, they don't give a crap about the law (at that point). Also, why does everyone automatically think that because there's a gun somebody will get shot? There are literally hundreds of MILLIONS of guns that are never used to harm another human. But, you let guns into a 20,000 square foot building that they've never been allowed in, and everyone's gonna die? ****, people. Common sense, please. Just a little bit.
    Same idea as that legal concealed or open carry will turn the streets of wherever into the "wild, wild, west"...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    856
    Style
    Bjj, mma
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Yeah, that could happen now. Because shooters gonna shoot, they don't give a crap about the law (at that point).

    Also, why does everyone automatically think that because there's a gun somebody will get shot? There are literally hundreds of MILLIONS of guns that are never used to harm another human. But, you let guns into a 20,000 square foot building that they've never been allowed in, and everyone's gonna die? ****, people. Common sense, please. Just a little bit.
    When somone goes and gets a gun to shoot somebody thats a pre medidated process. I did specifically mention acting on impulse. One particular teacher i had was a crazy fucker (he apparently had a nervous breakdown i found out few years after school was done), he told a class mate to spit out gum into the bin (school policy was no gum). Kid lied say he swallowed it, teacher knew he was talking **** so punched him in the stomach and out came the gum. This is the kind of situation that im talking about, when somone acts in the moment. The kid never reported it so that teacher never got into trouble. But the entire class saw and this one teacher had a short fuse.

  7. #7
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    8,023
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    When somone goes and gets a gun to shoot somebody thats a pre medidated process. I did specifically mention acting on impulse. One particular teacher i had was a crazy fucker (he apparently had a nervous breakdown i found out few years after school was done), he told a class mate to spit out gum into the bin (school policy was no gum). Kid lied say he swallowed it, teacher knew he was talking **** so punched him in the stomach and out came the gum. This is the kind of situation that im talking about, when somone acts in the moment. The kid never reported it so that teacher never got into trouble. But the entire class saw and this one teacher had a short fuse.
    I see how you think it would be a gun problem if the violent teacher that physically assaults children is allowed to have a gun. I think that's more of a hiring problem, though.

  8. #8
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Long Walk
    Posts
    14,747
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    =
    Also, why does everyone automatically think that because there's a gun somebody will get shot? There are literally hundreds of MILLIONS of guns that are never used to harm another human. But, you let guns into a 20,000 square foot building that they've never been allowed in, and everyone's gonna die? ****, people. Common sense, please. Just a little bit.
    Which hundred million never hurt anybody?

    You bring guns into schools, somebody's gonna die. You wanna bet on it? We shouldn't we even be having this conversation when there are other options.

  9. #9
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    8,023
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Which hundred million never hurt anybody?

    You bring guns into schools, somebody's gonna die. You wanna bet on it? We shouldn't we even be having this conversation when there are other options.
    Kentucky doesn't think there are other options, I believe that's why we're having this conversation.

    The bill in question (assuming it passes and is signed) requires weapons to be kept in special lockboxes, except in case of emergency. Seems like a reasonable compromise to both the AD/ND scenarios, as well as the heat-of-the-moment scenarios.

    You're a big techy nut, how's about this: a rifle in every classroom, locked but openable by biometrics by trained and authorized staff only (obviously a backup key for maintenance and LE use, similar to how the fire department has a lockbox with all keys to public and commercial properties), and which calls 911, NORAD, and everybody when accessed.

  10. #10
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,918
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Same idea as that legal concealed or open carry will turn the streets of wherever into the "wild, wild, west"...
    Ya'll don't know how deep the mall ninjers and Taktical mallcop idiots run in teh Big Cities. It's meme cause it's low hanging fruit. They are everywhere.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in