Thread: Sumo Rush

Sumo Rush

Just went to a tournament to watch my guys. Was checking out the heavyweight talent pool (because Iím a heavy). Just wondering what others would do to contend with the ďsumoĒ rush approach? Obviously it is a lower level technique. Iím just curious what the stops are since I donít see it much (being the biggest guy in the gym).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    MMA
    Front lateral drop.
    Or a hip throw, or tomoe nage, or fireman's carry, or any of the other dozens of throwing techniques that benefit from an overabundance of forward momentum on the part of your opponent.
    But a front lateral drop/uki waza will probably be the easiest to pull off.

The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Feel free to question me

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    I'd say almost any wrestling or judo technique. Pushing is actually one of the worst things you can do in either, but that's dependent on the person you're pushing against. It matters if they know what to do but perhaps most importantly HOW to do it. So in short, just saying "do technique X" wont help you to the extent that training in either judo or wrestling will...

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    If you can get grips quick enough, a simple snap down/sprawl to back take or turnover can be money. Other than that, any classic turning throw like uchimata or tai otoshi should be great. Lateral drops as stated (I am a huge fan of several lateral drop variations). Tomoe nage, or Hikikomi Gaeshi