Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

Time travel: in the arts, and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The nice thing about AI is you can train it to be lawful much better than you can train a human.

Amazon has figured out all sorts of things about you that you never told Amazon.

That timeline I graphed for your earlier is a graphical representation of information before and after an event. The key thing to note is the information was out there both before and during and after the event. All you need to do is move the information before the event and you can intervene and stop the event.

Basic Donnie Darko philosophy of time-travel logic.

Obligatory reference to a movie with a rabbit as a key antagonist... you're so predictable :)

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Obligatory reference to a movie with a rabbit as a key antagonist... you're so predictable :)
    Except the rabbit isn't an antagonist at all. Fear, like expectation, is in the beholder's eye.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Except the rabbit isn't an antagonist at all. Fear, like expectation, is in the beholder's eye.
    Matter of perspective, I guess. You could also objectively call the rabbit a victim, in that story.

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Matter of perspective, I guess. You could also objectively call the rabbit a victim, in that story.
    Frank saves the real universe by dying in the tangent universe and haunting Donnie into the course of action that eventually fixes the spacetime continuum. Or something like that.

He's a good ghost, like Christmas Future, but appears frightening because the observer (Donnie) doesn't understand.

Either way, the parallel with information timelines really does fit, but I get the cull. Should be in Skepticism etc...that movie kicks ass and would make for a fun discussion about mindblowing ****, like sending information to the past to prevent a fucked up future.
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 2/20/2018 2:38pm at .

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Interesting... I've never viewed it like that, I always thought Frank was a fiction of the limbo-state Donny was in for the entire course of the movie. But, on the other hand, there is a Frank-like entity in S. Darko. Need to rewatch both, the former is on Netflix, and the latter on Bluray, upstairs.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    If you want to make this a real discussion, I could definitely see moving it to it's own house in GenBS.

Style
    Mixed
    A lot of the time travel philosophy has actually been explained by the authors after the movie. That graph I posted is from a real discussion of the movie's time twisting. Only some things out there are purely speculative (ie fan contributions).

It's hard to follow with just one viewing. I had to watch it a bunch, then read the screenwriter's vision, and then go back.

A key theme is being motivated by something that disturbs you to make you do what would seem like bad things...but the bad things Donnie is motivated to do in the tangent universe are actually positive. Burning down Jim Cunningham's house for instance seems like a violent crazy act, except it uncovers a horrific secret and sets into motion new events that end with Donnie's final submissive act that saves the Real Universe from annihilation. Deep stuff.

The sequel is kind of meh but it does try to explain even more, which probably confuses most people even further.

https://www.quora.com/In-Donnie-Dark...unny-represent

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I'm definitely going to rewatch, tonight... I was out of stuff in my queue, anyways, but, yeah - I never paid much attention to the time travel aspect, I thought it was just a convenient device for a larger story.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Also, looking forward to watching the new Wrinkle movie... true story, I wrote a fanfic after reading that when I was maybe in 4th grade or so... got an A

Welcome to the Time Travel thread!

Style
    Mixed
    The time travel components of Donnie Darko are kind of impossible to understand with connecting dots, which in such a surreal movie is like trying to find the logic in a nightmare. Once you connect enough of the clues, it becomes a more satisfying story than just average psychological horror.

One of the most important but seemingly unimportant elements in the movie is the old woman Grandma Death and what she whispers to Donnie. In a rare moment of uncertainty Donnie admits to his therapist that he's afraid of being and dying alone, and what the old lady whispered to him sets the seed in his mind of what he has to eventually do to save the real universe:
    Spoiler:
    die alone, unafraid

Wrinkle in Time has Oprah in it...political trolls form in 3...2...1...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last