Style
    Ex-Karate

Roman Boxing Gloves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-43120942

This has been on a few UK news sites. As context these are Roman forts based on Hadrian's wall that due to the waterlogged nature of the sites have a number of highly preserved Roman (mainly military) artifacts. The fact that the leather has been in a waterlogged they are in remarkably good condition.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Dr Birley said: "I have seen representations of Roman boxing gloves depicted on bronze statues, paintings and sculptures, but to have the privilege of finding two real leather examples is exceptionally special.

"The hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you realise you have discovered something as astonishing as these boxing gloves."

The larger of the two is filled with natural material, which would have acted as a shock absorber.

The smaller glove, found "in near perfect condition", is filled with a coil of hard, twisted leather.

It is understood they would have been used for sparring sessions as they do not have metal inserts used in ancient boxing bouts.

That's pretty neat! Not only to see them, but damn I sure wouldn't want to get hit with the one filled with a coil of hard leather, or metal! Sheesh!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    That's pretty neat! Not only to see them, but damn I sure wouldn't want to get hit with the one filled with a coil of hard leather, or metal! Sheesh!
    They were (from what I gather) not so much as to protect your hands but rather to inflict damage. Bit like Greek pankration gloves as depicted in Greek art

Romans routinely had martial arts bouts pitting gladiators against each others with bladed weapons. They'd consider the UFC rules of today to be the epitome of faggotry, so it makes sense that their boxing gloves too would be dangerous as hell.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Quite a good article:

http://ejmas.com/jcs/2010jcs/jcsart_murray_1007.html

If you read down it covers the evolution of the Greek "glove" from a lighter thong like glove to a much heavier leather glove almost with an edge (probably like the glove at Vindolanda) which would have caused extensive damage.