Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Help me with debate: "Hate Speech"

So those of you who are friends with me on Facebook might have seen my comment that my daughter refused to sign an agreement which would prevent her using "hate speech" on her social media. She told me she wrote down "There's no such thing as hate speech" and turned the paper back in.

*Warning I'm going to be using some language that even you guys might find offensive:

If it isn't obvious, I placed those thoughts in her head. I've spent years teaching my daughter to think critically and objectively so she'd better prepared for "real life" especially in our liberal times of PC culture.

So I told her years ago there's no such thing as bad words, just bad intentions. The same with hate speech, there really isn't a true definition of hate speech, especially in legal terms, because of its subjective nature (especially in the US as most speech is protected under the First Amendment).

So where as some speech some people might find offensive they're not necessarily considered hate.

The easiest way to examine my point is to take a simple sentence.

"Look at this stupid lazy ****** over here..."

If you simply read this a person might say "hate speech"

You see a white guy say this to a black guy on a University Campus you think hate speech. The person who this is said to bust up laughing comes up to the guy fist bumps the guy and gives them a hug. You think oh, they're friends so it's not hate speech. You take this exact example and the black guy doesn't smile and gets angry because two days before the white guy drank the other guys beer without asking. So now it's hate speech.

Take the exact same sentence and have Dave Chappelle say it....to anyone. Not hate speech.

Have Donald Trump say it.....to anyone. Hate speech.

I personally hate the word ****** and wish nobody would use it but they do. Then an entire culture wants to own the word but that's a slightly different point all together.

We can use another word in that sentence and change the dynamics all you want.

****** would be bad unless you're.....insert scenario here.

Patfromlogan tried to make a point by saying "Sounds like a stupid Flip". Of course that only proves my point, yeah that can be construed as racist but hate speech? I would have to believe that truly hates Filipinos and wants nothing but ill will toward them.

Other countries like the UK are actually moving forward on this premise to the point you simply can't make a joke about Muslims, making them a protected class. Canada has a University policy that can end up with a person being imprisoned if they don't use a person's made up pronouns. All in the name of "hate speech".

So where as the 'idea' of what hate speech is but in actuality is there a true definition of what "hate speech" is. And if there is no true definition of what hate speech is then I argue there is no such thing as hate speech.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    This is going to be a long thread but first off; good on her for standing her ground and keeping her own personal rights.

The definitions will obviously be a muddy subject but trying to shut someone down, particularly a pupil, is intellectual cowardice which has the potential for dangerous repercussions in the erosion of basic rights further down the line.

Shame on them.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So I told her years ago there's no such thing as bad words, just bad intentions.
    Did you told her about a think called bad manners?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Did you told her about a think called bad manners?
    Almost every day.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    The burden is on them to define it.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Which should be an amazing exercise in awareness for them.
    I predict failure on their part.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hence the reason for this thread. If we allow them to define it then people who believe in "Free Speech" are at the mercy of the interpretations.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Well, my point is they won't be able to, as your examples above show.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Well, my point is they won't be able to
    Oh I am sure they can try and maybe even come up with something... but ... yeah.

Agreed.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Ultimately they will have to make a subjective judgement call, which is bullshit.

I mean, I can decide to be a cat-person, but not what my own words mean?

Fucking bizzaro world.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last