Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,284
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    10

    Notes From A Discredited Black Belt

    Hello Bullies!

    I'm sharing this to get the word out about some dealings at 10th Planet SF. Elia Yuridistky is a legitimate and well respected black belt, originally from 10thP San Francisco to my understanding. He has been training with another grappler for more than a decade, though that training partner moved on from 10th Planet years ago. This apparently caused some friction, and things came to a head recently when his training partner grappled a 10th Planet member from Los Angeles (320 miles away, if we are counting).

    Now, Denny Prokopos (head instructor of 10 th Planet SF and Elia's now former teacher), at the endorsement of Eddie Bravo, "no longer honor Elia's black belt under [their] 10 th Planet Jiu Jitsu system and Family." Basically stripping association, and attempting to strip rank from a legitimate good guy.

    Here are some excerpts from Elia's response, and I'm going to attach the document as well. If we could get this on Facebook and maybe the main page, Elia I'm sure would appreciate it, as would I.

    Excerpt:
    Notes From a Disenfranchised Black Belt:
    Hereís the real story, as promisedI canít say itís an interesting story, but it is as close
    to the whole truth as I can bring myself to write. For those not aware, I am
    responding here to this thread:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/7xk9jz/im_the_subject_of_this_article_do
    es_anyone_want/


    Iíll keep things organized and chronological, and will try to keep the sources and
    biases as illustrated as possible.

    THE SYNOPSIS

    My decision/announcement to leave the school from which I got my black belt
    resulted in a backlash in which Denny Prokopos (head instructor of 10 th Planet SF
    and my now former teacher), at the endorsement of Eddie Bravo, Ďno longer honor
    [my] black belt under [their] 10 th Planet Jiu Jitsu system and Family.í This came after
    a long series of unpleasantries including, but not limited to, Denny restricting me
    from training with a person he did not care for. Iíll get into the unpleasantries more
    below.

    Ultimately, Denny justified his actions by stating that I betrayed the 10 th planet
    system in helping my friend (Travis Magalit) prepare for a match against another
    10 th planet black belt (Marvin Casteele). Marvin is from the LA school; Iíve met him
    twice. Iíve never had a real conversation with Eddie Bravo. Prior to my revocation,
    he didnít know me from Adam.

    My friend Travis left 10 th planet as a brown belt six years ago. We have been training
    together total since 2008. If I have a friend, he is one.

    I will admit that there were periods of time when I was not upfront about where I
    was training. However, Denny was well aware of my recent trainings with Travis,
    and he explicitly consented to my training with him just a few months ago. (I have
    the screenshot of that text convo, if someone knows how to upload photos from a
    phone). I was never told not to train with Travis. More on this below too.

    I didnít corner Travis; I only trained with him. Had he asked, I would have cornered
    him, but he didnít. Marvin is, for all intents and purposes, a stranger. We shared a
    franchise, sure, but if you have to ask where my loyalties lie when, on the other side,
    stood a man who has been there for me without question for nearly a decadeÖ Well
    then maybe the rest of this story isnít for you.
    See the attached article, discuss, spread it around. Let me and the BJJ world know how you feel!

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,344
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Hello Bullies!

    I'm sharing this to get the word out about some dealings at 10th Planet SF. Elia Yuridistky is a legitimate and well respected black belt, originally from 10thP San Francisco to my understanding. He has been training with another grappler for more than a decade, though that training partner moved on from 10th Planet years ago. This apparently caused some friction, and things came to a head recently when his training partner grappled a 10th Planet member from Los Angeles (320 miles away, if we are counting).

    Now, Denny Prokopos (head instructor of 10 th Planet SF and Elia's now former teacher), at the endorsement of Eddie Bravo, "no longer honor Elia's black belt under [their] 10 th Planet Jiu Jitsu system and Family." Basically stripping association, and attempting to strip rank from a legitimate good guy.

    Here are some excerpts from Elia's response, and I'm going to attach the document as well. If we could get this on Facebook and maybe the main page, Elia I'm sure would appreciate it, as would I.

    Excerpt:


    See the attached article, discuss, spread it around. Let me and the BJJ world know how you feel!
    Holy Jeebus on a Crutch...

    The author seems to have his head screwed on pretty well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,514
    Style
    Jits
    2
    10th Planet issuing 破門 ???

    Soon they'll be wearing hakama.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    998
    Style
    what style?
    Maybe the Gracie organization with step up and take the opportunity to add a good black belt to their ranks to get some cred back.

  5. #5
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    5,049
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    Maybe the Gracie organization with step up and take the opportunity to add a good black belt to their ranks to get some cred back.
    This guy's not a sex offender, so he's not qualified.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

  6. #6
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,881
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    This guy's not a sex offender, so he's not qualified.
    ...damn son...
    ďI don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.Ē
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

  7. #7
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Long Walk
    Posts
    14,731
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    10th Planet issuing 破門 ???

    Soon they'll be wearing hakama.
    They already do in private.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,284
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ...damn son...
    Jjtimes was given a copy of the article as well. This is gonna blow up a bit.

  9. #9
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Long Walk
    Posts
    14,731
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    Maybe the Gracie organization with step up and take the opportunity to add a good black belt to their ranks to get some cred back.
    Honestly, I find it hard to believe he can't walk into most BJJ schools and be handed a BB by anybody with a brain and a conscience.

    **** 10th Planet. **** Eddie Bravo and his Flat Earth Ass. There are better systems.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    998
    Style
    what style?
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Honestly, I find it hard to believe he can't walk into most BJJ schools and be handed a BB by anybody with a brain and a conscience.

    **** 10th Planet. **** Eddie Bravo and his Flat Earth Ass. There are better systems.
    Yes, i think the story will have a happy ending. To the shame of 10th planet and Eddie.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in