Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

Parkland, FL school shooting

So, yeah, this one hits close to home. We consulted with our friends and ex-neighbors, and luckily we don't have anyone directly affected by this tragedy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shooting.html

Parkland is a relatively upscale community in the far-west reaches of Deerfield/Pompano Beach. I used to drive past this high school multiple times a week, on my way to practice the debauchery known as amateur billiards (APA). I have a lot of friends and close associates that live in that immediate area.

I'm still immersing myself in the 5 Ws of this, so I don't have a lot more to contribute, right now. But, nobody else has started a thread on this one, and it's been many hours, and is sure to dominate headlines for at least a couple of days.

Style
    Armed Meatbag/Kyokushin
    Maybe if we stopped splashing this **** all over national TV n **** people would find it to be a less appealing concept.

Oh yes, let's just not talk about it. That should solve the sickness in your culture.

Style
    Armed Meatbag/Kyokushin
    I'm saying we shouldn't plaster the shooters name, face, and all the gory details on every news channel for a week. Report it as "Some shitbag shot 14 people in a florida school. Christ what an asshole. Meanwhile in Aleppo..."

That I can agree on. There is, however, a certain tendency for people to react similarly to this highly accurate Onion article: https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1820163660

Said article is, in fact, a great time-saver for the Onion, since they just run it every time there's a mass shooting with the number of casualties and city names changed. Efficiency in journalism.
    Last edited by Shawarma; 2/15/2018 4:36am at .

Style
    Armed Meatbag/Kyokushin
    I'm not a fan of that. I think it's kind of disingenuous. Of course the US is going to have more total events than most other single countries. It's the size of most of western Europe and has over 300 million people.

You should perhaps look up the term "per capita" and then begin to consider why exactly your culture is diseased.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    But, nobody else has started a thread on this one, and it's been many hours, and is sure to dominate headlines for at least a couple of days.

I give it two three days max for mainstream news. Seems like most American are either sick of feeling helpless, are plugging their ears going "blah blah blah just the way it is blah blah blah no gun control you gun control!" or have turned apathetic. How many people gave a **** about the other 7 school shootings that have happened in the 8 weeks since Jan 1st 2018?

Vegas was like ... a week on the news scroll, 8 days maybe... then nothing.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I'm not a fan of that. I think it's kind of disingenuous. Of course the US is going to have more total events than most other single countries. It's the size of most of western Europe and has over 300 million people.
    I suggest you read this article from the NY Times and pay special attention to the graph that shows the gun homicides per day if each country had the same population as the US for first-world countries. It is more than five times higher than for any other country with reliable numbers available.

The only thing one could criticise is that this was "cherry-picking" as it uses numbers of first-world countries only. Hey, in Jamaica there are more gun-related deaths per capita in the end! But as you yourself mention western Europe, I think it is fair to say that one should compare countries with comparable socio-economical environments and homeland security standards.

So yeah, the absolute numbers in the US are ridiculously high in part because of their sheer size and number of residents. But they are still more than five times higher if we do similar statistics per capita. And that's the real problem.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    I suggest you read this article from the NY Times and pay special attention to the graph that shows the gun homicides per day if each country had the same population as the US for first-world countries. It is more than five times higher than for any other country with reliable numbers available.

The only thing one could criticise is that this was "cherry-picking" as it uses numbers of first-world countries only. Hey, in Jamaica there are more gun-related deaths per capita in the end! But as you yourself mention western Europe, I think it is fair to say that one should compare countries with comparable socio-economical environments and homeland security standards.

So yeah, the absolute numbers in the US are ridiculously high in part because of their sheer size and number of residents. But they are still more than five times higher if we do similar statistics per capita. And that's the real problem.
    You must consider demographics, not just population size.
    "Oh my God. What a bunch of pussies! Back in my day, if you wanted to tease someone you did it to their face. There was honor, respect." -Sensei Johnny Lawrence, on cyberbullying

Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... Last