Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Blocking Discussion video

So am I wrong on this one or right. IMO fighters block all the time. It's usually kicks that they block but they are still blocks.

Style
    what style?
    isn't the covering hes doing the same as blocking?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    isn't the covering hes doing the same as blocking?
    That's my opinion too.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1) looks like KFM
    2) I get what he's trying to distinguish between cover and block. I'd still say it's a block.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    +1 for that's a block too.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Also:

Style
    what style?
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    1) looks like KFM
    2) I get what he's trying to distinguish between cover and block. I'd still say it's a block.
    Maybe it's just semantics then and he is defining what a block is differently.

Going by the pieces i watched in the video i only have just a few things i think are obvious to throw my two cents in on this discussion.

IMO, i would never block an overhead right with both arms extended to intercept the blow. I was taught to bridge one arm behind head and keep the other free for whatever(counter, parry/block their other hand, or grab). Bad blocking is bad... if that's what he's getting at in the video then cool.

Dodging and blocking are both vital things to work on for a good defense IMO. I think it's obviously better to evade the strike then take it, but in reality that never always an option.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    Maybe it's just semantics then and he is defining what a block is differently.

Going by the pieces i watched in the video i only have just a few things i think are obvious to throw my two cents in on this discussion.

IMO, i would never block an overhead right with both arms extended to intercept the blow. I was taught to bridge one arm behind head and keep the other free for whatever(counter, parry/block their other hand, or grab). Bad blocking is bad... if that's what he's getting at in the video then cool.

Dodging and blocking are both vital things to work on for a good defense IMO. I think it's obviously better to evade the strike then take it, but in reality that never always an option.
    I'm definitely not going to pretend to be an expert, my striking experience is capped at medium-hard sparring. I would never do the two arm thing, unless maybe I was playing a rope-a-dope, which I have done, but it's not my style. But, that's not what he's doing. He's using his "cover" as a trojan to get into clinching distance. I still think it's blocking. I'm agreeing with you and Omega. It's blocking. But, that's not this guy's message. He's trying to delineate an offensive strategy from a defense, but is pretending that his offensive strategy is just defense.

Style
    None
    We used to call this active blocks versus passive blocks. Karate-style blocks where you are attacking the limb are active blocks, and cover-style blocks were called passive blocks.
    The masters perfected Karate. What fool is there today that can step forward and perfect perfection -- From the introduction to the book "Shoto-Kan Karate-The Ultimate in Self-Defense" written by Peter Ventresca

Style
    what style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaks Softly View Post
    We used to call this active blocks versus passive blocks. Karate-style blocks where you are attacking the limb are active blocks, and cover-style blocks were called passive blocks.
    So it's a style thing then, i don't like that approach(with two hands used for punches)... probably because of my own bias though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last