Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    215

    Striking to set up throws/grappling

    Just curious what is out there in terms of techniques. And my Google fu is not as strong as it used to be. Anyone know of some good examples (from MMA maybe?) of people setting up a throw or takedown from striking or countering strikes? Especially things like jabs and straights and such.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    356
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...edown+finishes

    There be some enhanced google-fu.

    Now go forth and train.

  3. #3
    halfcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    914
    Style
    SAMBO
    1
    Look into Combat Sambo


  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cold, Wet and Miserable
    Posts
    209
    Style
    Punch and Grab
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Just curious what is out there in terms of techniques. And my Google fu is not as strong as it used to be. Anyone know of some good examples (from MMA maybe?) of people setting up a throw or takedown from striking or countering strikes? Especially things like jabs and straights and such.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recommend that you listen to Jack Slack podcast, I can't recall which one he breaks down entries into a clinch in specifically, it's there if you look he speaks about it for a while, but in general he's excellent at addressing questions like these and providing good examples.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Humbug View Post
    Recommend that you listen to Jack Slack podcast, I can't recall which one he breaks down entries into a clinch in specifically, it's there if you look he speaks about it for a while, but in general he's excellent at addressing questions like these and providing good examples.
    I shall. Coaching a tourney this weekend (Iím injured atm and the highest belt that can travel and all competitors are white belts anyway lol). I shall use this. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    297
    Style
    Between styles
    I'm pretty sure slipping straight punches and shooting for doubles/singles is pretty universal, I've seen examples of it in MMA, Sandaand combat sambo. I recall ducking/weaving under a hook and shooting a double being part of the gracie JJ curriculum. Similarly, you can set up a shot with head punches of your own, especially if your opponent likes to lean back when defending. In regular gongkwon yusul sparring you can't punch to the head, so instead you can kick to the head and shoot on the other side.

    In the clinch I throw knees whenever my opponent adopts a defensive, hunched over or stiff arm posture (especially in the gi), which naturally opens up various throws when they correct said posture. Unfortunately I can't do this in BJJ, where stiff arms continue to frustrate my nooby self.

    If someone shells up in response to combinations of punches, it's often effective to snap them down into a front headlock (or in the gi, just establish a strong grip on their back, belt, or high on their lapel).

    One I haven't been taught, but have been experimenting with is landing a lowkick on the outside of the lead leg, putting my leg down just past the target leg while establishing grips, and attempting osotogari. If the lowkick lands well, it can turn their body away from you and force their weight onto the struck leg, opening them up to osotogari. I'm usually too slow to capitalize, but I am remarkably slow, so I think it will work well for someone more explosive than myself.

    If you land an overhand (as a cross, over your opponent's lead hand) you might be able to collect their lead hand on the way back, and spin into a waki gatame-like grip (think aoki vs wisniewski. don't look at me like that. I never actually finish this as a lock, but instead go for a sacrifice throw/firemans carry variation as my opponent turns to face me and pulls their hand back). I haven't done this one in full speed sparring though, only while taking it easy.


    And of course there's kick-catching.

    hope this helps!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12
    Style
    Boxing/BJJ
    1
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...stance-closing

    https://youtu.be/FXaxlaSWJvw

    Best advice I can personally offer, throw any strike with intent. If they don't take the strike as s legitimate threat they won't react in a way to set up a grappling opportunity.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    291
    Style
    Karate
    Atemi -- the strike -- is a part of older Aikido and older jiu-jitsu moves. It shocks the opponent and allows for the follow-up move, such as a throw or a control hold. The way a lot of throws and control holds are taught today seems to be in a compliant environment, which misleads the participant. Morihiro Saito published a series of instructions in the 1970s. He took over instruction at Iwama from the founder Morihei Ueshiba. The book series is Traditional Aikido, and many of the throws are set up with a strike to the opponent.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    228
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Atemi -- the strike -- is a part of older Aikido and older jiu-jitsu moves. It shocks the opponent and allows for the follow-up move, such as a throw or a control hold. The way a lot of throws and control holds are taught today seems to be in a compliant environment, which misleads the participant. Morihiro Saito published a series of instructions in the 1970s. He took over instruction at Iwama from the founder Morihei Ueshiba. The book series is Traditional Aikido, and many of the throws are set up with a strike to the opponent.
    Atemi techniques are part of the original later dan curriculum in Judo as well. I think I remember Kano himself writing about that. And in original Judo competition, strikes and kicks were not forbidden.

  10. #10
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,312
    Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    And in original Judo competition, strikes and kicks were not forbidden.
    You sure?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in