Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Here's an article on the german high volume training:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
    I'm very much a "hardgainer," and chest size in particular has always been tough for me to put on. I've put on two inches on my chest over the past year, which isn't terribly spectacular, but it's better than anything else I've done. It's also taking my max bench from an adorable 145 to a respectable 205.
    The biggest upside I've found is that I get injured less. Human shoulders - and mine in particular - are garbage, and doing any sort of high-weight upper body exercise has given me tons of little injuries through the years. Nothing requiring medical attention, just the sort of thing that makes you take a few days off.
    And of course, that said, I currently have tennis elbow from going too hard a while back. Which has been hella frustrating.

The biggest downside is that it takes forever. Fortunately, I'm semi-retired and have a home gym, so spending an hour on a single exercise is fine by me. But if you only have time to lift for 45 minutes three times a week, the high volume stuff might be logistically tough.
    Thanks for the link.

I'm a mid-gainer if there is such a thing. I can put on muscle relatively quick, but lose it quick too.

The benefits I can see for myself for doing this is your reference to shoulders and limiting injury. I have very mobile shoulders and if I don't hit the weights, or at least do push ups, and just roll regularly, they ache like a ****. I find I can avoid that ache if I am consistently building muscle around the joints.

I'll definitely look at implementing this, I have all the time in the world to improve myself.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Thanks Claw - I'm going to have look and get back - might see about incorporating in my usual workout

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Here's an article on the german high volume training:https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htmI'm very much a "hardgainer," and chest size in particular has always been tough for me to put on. I've put on two inches on my chest over the past year, which isn't terribly spectacular, but it's better than anything else I've done. It's also taking my max bench from an adorable 145 to a respectable 205. The biggest upside I've found is that I get injured less. Human shoulders - and mine in particular - are garbage, and doing any sort of high-weight upper body exercise has given me tons of little injuries through the years. Nothing requiring medical attention, just the sort of thing that makes you take a few days off.And of course, that said, I currently have tennis elbow from going too hard a while back. Which has been hella frustrating.The biggest downside is that it takes forever. Fortunately, I'm semi-retired and have a home gym, so spending an hour on a single exercise is fine by me. But if you only have time to lift for 45 minutes three times a week, the high volume stuff might be logistically tough.
    I've just read up on GVT - looks quite interesting, I'm going to try it for a 10 week period starting next week - I'd like to do 12 but I', off on those last two weeks on vacation. I'll report how it is going

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    You can’t outwhore me, son. I can attract the young ones too. They’re just a giant pain in the ass. I have more fun with women who are cheating on their husbands. They have to keep **** hidden so I can put them on a rotation where I only have to see them once every couple weeks. Young chicks **** up my lineup because they’re too needy. You’re fat, dude. Fat people are always weak and gooey on the inside, just like they are on the outside.
    You forgot incredibly good looking with a big dick.
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Claw - being reading up on GVT last night - couple questions:
    - It looks like this is a program your run maybe once or twice a year rather than a continuous program - is that how you are running it
    - It seems that the accepted way of doing it is over a period of 5 day (3 lifting, 2 resting with 2 compound lifts on 10x10 with 2 accessory lifts on 3x10/12). Is that how you are doing it/looking to do it? Reason I ask is that I've seen some variations where you do 3 days per week but with all 4 lifts on 10x10. Just curious which way you are thinking of going.

Apart from that it looks a pretty solid way of putting on muscle although legs day looks pretty brutal. I like the emphasis on compound vs. isolation lifts. I'm going to give it a go I think. Thanks for posting the link.

Style
    MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Claw - being reading up on GVT last night - couple questions:
    - It looks like this is a program your run maybe once or twice a year rather than a continuous program - is that how you are running it
    - It seems that the accepted way of doing it is over a period of 5 day (3 lifting, 2 resting with 2 compound lifts on 10x10 with 2 accessory lifts on 3x10/12). Is that how you are doing it/looking to do it? Reason I ask is that I've seen some variations where you do 3 days per week but with all 4 lifts on 10x10. Just curious which way you are thinking of going.

Apart from that it looks a pretty solid way of putting on muscle although legs day looks pretty brutal. I like the emphasis on compound vs. isolation lifts. I'm going to give it a go I think. Thanks for posting the link.
    That is not how I do it, but perhaps how I should be.
    I don't do 10x10's on lower body exercise, since my goals are different. I've found the progressive 5x5 (where you add weight each set) works best for me regarding deadlifts and squats.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Do a mix of the /r/bodyweightfitness recommend routine (there's an app and everything) and some HIIT. Trying to put on muscle while eating at a deficit is dumb. Unfatten yourself first, then worry aboutlooking jacked or whatever. Fatty.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    That is not how I do it, but perhaps how I should be. I don't do 10x10's on lower body exercise, since my goals are different. I've found the progressive 5x5 (where you add weight each set) works best for me regarding deadlifts and squats.
    That's quite interesting- I'm thinking about keeping my existing strength based program for lower body - not because I don't want to build volume in my lower body but rater due to my weak knees. I'm going to incorporate 10x10 in my upper body. Another interesting thing I noticed about the program is that although you develop more volume (not surprisingly) you can see your 1RM drop. I'd rather like to avoid that as I'm doing mainly strength based training so I might incorporate GVT in place of the volume lifts I do after my strength based lifts.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Even if you do have a big dick, the good looking part is wishful thinking. Fat people look just exactly like ****. Everybody knows that. Before long, you’ll be posting selfies with your gut hanging out like fat chicks who want to pretend their thunder thighs are attractive.

#fatshaming
    You can shame my fat all you like, it actually fuels my narcissism. You're literally helping me beat you.

I'm also disappointed with your shitty outdated meme, bro. I've already berated someone this morning for using played out unoriginal jokes (while fucking them up as well) on their dating profile. If you're going to continue using other people's original content, you can't be all that narcissistic.

---- ACTUAL POST QUESTIONS ----

Is the calorie deficit = no muscle growth simply doctrine? Like, is it bodybuilding propaganda that no one challenges cause the results are seen by simply observing the big cunts? I am still eating shitloads, just no carbs, am losing fat and gaining muscle.

If I am in ketosis, with appropriate levels of protein, why is it that muscle can't grow and fat be used as the energy to assist that process?

I recognise insulin plays a role in growth, but I should be able to trick my body into releasing small levels of insulin through sweet foods that I taste but don't consume.

If I have more muscle, I'm burning more fat at all stages, from cardio to being at rest.

It just seems to me that if I am building muscle both strength down low and size up top, I obviously won't be hitting the IFBB stage any time soon, but provided I continue eating decent meals with protein, fat and greens, I'll be better off in the long run. Sustainability is key for me at this juncture. I'm not looking to go back down to 80kg fight weight, **** that. I'm happy to drop fat and build muscle at a leisurely pace.

I roll 5-6 days a week, so cardio does get a look in, often after I have hit the weights which of course burns more.

I'll review in 12 weeks where I'm at with what I am doing and maintain this strategy. I have numerous theories that I'd like to test, but ultimately it comes down to results.
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    The above is informed by my research into intermittent fasting, keto, and bodybuilding "you gotta eat even when you're asleep" nonsense.
    I <3 Battlefields...

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last