Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The ABC Unified Rules of MMA prohibit intentional throat strikes and neck strikes in certain locations on the side and back of the neck. The throat is definitely a foul zone.

Per the foul rules, that kick isn't illegal because it was not clearly intentionally aimed at the neck (i.e. that kick likely meant for the Rhonda's head).

As of UFC142, any strikes at all to the area pictured in the third link are illegal, covering the rear side of the neck as well. IMO this is one of the most specific, granular restrictions in the sport and difficult to referee unless somebody is clearly going for neck shots (rare in UFC for many years... I can't think of any fights)..

http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/...ls_rev0816.pdf
    http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/1...er-dq-yamasaki

You can imagine a GNP situation where the guy on top starts hand chopping or pummeling on someone's neck...the ref is def going to stop that.
    Back of the neck and directed throat strikes. Granted that does make the desired target area a bit small, however considering the placement of the vagus nerve and the carotid sinus both are still in the legal striking zone. I'm still going to say that the reason you aren't seeing a lot of strikes directed at the vagus nerve/carotid sinus is that it is a low percentage knock out, especially against someone who knows how to take strikes. Whether in ground and pound or standing, if you are wearing gloves, it is a much better bet to punch the person in the side of the head. Honestly if a strike is legal(as this is) and lacking in MMA(as this is) it is most likely down to its overall effectiveness against a trained opponent.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Back of the neck and directed throat strikes. Granted that does make the desired target area a bit small, however considering the placement of the vagus nerve and the carotid sinus both are still in the legal striking zone. I'm still going to say that the reason you aren't seeing a lot of strikes directed at the vagus nerve/carotid sinus is that it is a low percentage knock out, especially against someone who knows how to take strikes. Whether in ground and pound or standing, if you are wearing gloves, it is a much better bet to punch the person in the side of the head. Honestly if a strike is legal(as this is) and lacking in MMA(as this is) it is most likely down to its overall effectiveness against a trained opponent.
    Strike-wise, you don't have to actually hit the nerves themselves, just trigger their reflex effect. You can cough yourself into vasovagal syncope, so there are multiple triggers that don't require a precision hit. Really, anything that rapidly spikes BP can cause the vagus to do it's reset thing, and down you go. Seeing blood, for some people, causes the same effect.

The vagus and carotid aren't off limits at all (Portions of the side of the are, see below), especially in grappling I'd argue they are the primary objectives of any choke that actually works well/fast. Constricting someone's vagus/carotid cluster is probably one of the highest percentage techniques. If do right...

Style
    street paddleboarding
    My issue with the backhand strike to the neck is that starting with the body turned and jand across the centerline is vulnerable and telegraphed, and people will intuitively protect their neck if they sense its targeted. So, it seems most probable as a surprise attack when being followed as you turn to face your follower.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345