Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

Dragon Fist MMA - Wells, VT

On the Facebook wire, this morning, got an inbound message from a concerned Bully who believes Sensi/Sifu (sic) Joseph Lynch is awarding BJJ/GJJ rank without actually being ranked at all under any system in the Gracie family of fighting.

Said Bully checks out as a brown belt and head instructor in a completely different region of the country, so this isn't about eliminating the competition or anything like that. In fact, Wells, VT, is a tiny little town in rural Vermont. I haven't looked, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say Dragon Fist MMA is the only training the local residents have. So, I want to be really clear about the tone of this right up front. We're not looking to crucify this guy, and especially not his students.

Based on the reviews section of the Facebook page, people are coming at this guy pretty hard. I think that's over the top, but I also think that -for that reason- he may be reticent to talk with us. So, MABS thread just in case this isn't resolved, so that future students will be aware of what has transpired, and why we, as a responsible martial arts community, are concerned with his small operation.

For total transparency, here's the screengrab of the conversation which led to me starting this thread (click image for bigger version):

Our goals, here, are to engage in a conversation with Sensi/Sifu Lynch to do the following:
    1) Confirm that he is or is not awarding BJJ rank
    2) Confirm that he is or is not ranked in BJJ (and thus is, or is not, allowed to award BJJ ranks)
    3) Confirm that his students are aware of points 1 and 2, above
    4) Assist Sensi/Sifu Lynch in any way possible with improving his school and offerings

I will be moderating this thread with an iron fist. There will be no warnings.

Style
    Mixed
    "About Joseph

Life long martial arts student. I have a black belt in 4 systems: 2nd Degree in Shorin Ryu, 1st Degree in Shito Ryu, 3rd Degree in Hung Gar Kung Fu, 5th Degree in Hakido, 15 years in Arnis/Escrima, Phillipino Stick Fighting"

I don't see anything here that would qualify him for handing out belts in any form of jujutsu/jiujitsu/jujitsu. He seems to rest that authority on his 5th degree hapkido BB, but if that's the case...why not call them hapkido belts? B/JJ has more marketing appeal to the locals, maybe?

I'd love to see how the hell he got a black belt with a degree in Hung gar (very unusual), but that's probably OT.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Well, our next step is to actually reach out to the man. I was hoping somebody here would step up to do the comms... politely and respectfully, of course. If no takers, then I guess I'm on point.

(edit) But, the Hung Gar question is valid as an aside, so maybe let this brew for this evening to see if there are other questions/additions to our initial comm.

Style
    Mixed
    More details. That last one is noteworthy.

1. Triangle School of Karate - Shorin Ryu 1st Dan 1983, Louis Stanisha - he is Richard Marallo's Teacher, lives in New York, 7th Dan.
    2. Vermont Martial Arts Academy - Shorin Ryu 1983, Shodan - Sensi Richard Marallo - 7th Dan, Rutland, VT
    3. Vermont Martial Arts Academy - I Chuan Pai Shorin Ryu, August 18, 1987, Ni Dan, Sensi Marallo 7th Dan, Rutland, VT
    4. Alaos' Martial Arts - Hung Gar Kung Fu - Escrima, Robert Chandler (Alao's) Family Phillipine, Master Rank Black Sash Sifu, Fair Haven Vt, June 6, 1998, Bob Chandeler now deceased
    5. Robert Chandeler - Alaos' Family Phillipines - Founder/Master (deceased), 3rd Black Sash Sifu 4/27/2006
    6. Riger Lair - Shito Ryu, Sensi 4th Dan Theo Parker, 12/15/04/ lst Dan, Yudansha Certificate, Granville, NY
    7. Hapkido, Korean Ju Jitsu Self Defense, Grand Master Jae Jeanette 5th degree, recognized by the Korean government!
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p..._fb_noscript=1

I'll deal with the Hung Ga claim myself.

Style
    Kendo

What the actual fork...

"7. Hapkido, Korean Ju Jitsu Self Defense, Grand Master Jae Jeanette 5th degree, recognized by the Korean government!"

Over 40 Hapkido organizations exist and none of them is 'recognized' by the Korean government.