Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ

Universality of Good Martial Principles

Roughly twenty two years ago, at a ROSS camp with Alexander Retuinskih I got what I then, and still do consider the best insctruction I've ever gotten in dealing with a multi-assailant engagement. Today I find a video of Dean Lister expounding the same basic principles of using movement and space to deal with a multi-assailant engagement. I know some of the RMA Kool-Aid drinkers are going to say(absurdly) that Dean Lister stole this from RMA. Me personally, I just see it as convergent evolution. People who know how to fight and who actually do fight in competitions will consider the problem, and eventually boil it down to the most effective and efficient principles, especially if they pressure test it at all.

TL:DR Effective martial principles are universal and here is a great video on multi-assailant engagements:
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    A good example is the video that has done the rounds for about a million years of the one guy being mobbed.

He basically back pedals using boxing and drops people as he goes. Granted none of the attackers are in good shape but the principles are there, good fighting basics, good fitness (better than his assailants anyway) and crucially a good grasp of his environment and situational awareness.

I still think the best way to deal with multiple attackers is to be as fit, strong and as competent at fighting as possible. As the old adage goes; if you can’t fight one person you can’t fight two. Even to use the space around you and to get away you’d need those elements to be as sharp as possible.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    A good example is the video that has done the rounds for about a million years of the one guy being mobbed.

He basically back pedals using boxing and drops people as he goes. Granted none of the attackers are in good shape but the principles are there, good fighting basics, good fitness (better than his assailants anyway) and crucially a good grasp of his environment and situational awareness.

I still think the best way to deal with multiple attackers is to be as fit, strong and as competent at fighting as possible. As the old adage goes; if you can’t fight one person you can’t fight two. Even to use the space around you and to get away you’d need those elements to be as sharp as possible.
    I know the video of which you speak. Yeah, it is basically the same principles that Dean is explaining, being put into effect in real life.

I agree with everything that you just said, I figured that being in shape and competent trained fighter was a given if you are seriously going extricate yourself from a multi-assailant engagement without catching a massive beat down.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Similar to a lot of what Vu was teaching this on video in the early 90's

Lots of similar principles echoes, and it really does remind me of what a pioneer he was back in the day.

When i cover mass attack scenarios I always stress that you cannot fight two people at once but you can fight one person twice; a subtle but important distinction

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I know the video of which you speak. Yeah, it is basically the same principles that Dean is explaining, being put into effect in real life.

I agree with everything that you just said, I figured that being in shape and competent trained fighter was a given if you are seriously going extricate yourself from a multi-assailant engagement without catching a massive beat down.
    Yeah for sure. I liked what the short older guy said in that video of going in hardest on the first guy, you’ve got the most of your energy at that stage and you might be able to take one out of the fight straight away, also if it’s the Alpha/leader it might stop the whole thing before it even really started.
    Ne Obliviscaris