Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Martial arts teacher busted for not registering as sex offender 15 years ago
    By Megan Cloherty | @ClohertyWTOP January 26, 2018 3:20 pm
    Scott Naugle, of Laurel, moved to Maryland 15 years ago but never registered as a sex offender. He’s been running a martial arts studio during that time and working with a children, a violation of his sentence. (Courtesy Howard County Police) WASHINGTON — Fifteen years after a Tennessee man moved to Maryland and opened a martial arts studio, he was charged for failing to register as a sex offender and for having contact with kids.
    Howard County police received a tip that the owner of Leverage Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Fulton, Maryland, was an unregistered sex offender, said Sherry Llewellyn with the police department.
    Scott Naugle, 44, Laurel, is now facing two counts related to his failure to register when he moved to Maryland. He was convicted of sexual battery of a child in 2003 in Tennessee in the early days of the digital sex offender registry. It’s unlikely someone could skirt the National Sex Offender Registry today, Llewellyn said.
    “These sex offenders are required to re-register. Some of them every three months. The moment that one of them does not check in and appropriately register, a warrant is issued for their arrest,” she said of the way the system works now.
    And as the owner of the martial arts studio, investigators said he had access to minors, whom he is restricted from interacting with.
    Naugle was ordered to register as a sex offender for life as part of his sentence, according to Howard County police.
    “To date, police have not received any allegations of sexual misconduct involving Naugle in Howard County,” police said.
    however police ask that anyone who may have been a victim of Naugle or has knowledge that anyone fell victim to him is asked to contact police at 410-313-STOP or send an email to [email protected].
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I checked, and nothing has changed on his court records at this time. Trial is still set for March.
    They will have a pre-trial conference at some point before then (usually).

Not sure what the potential sentencing is for the two crimes he is charged with...
    I'm guessing he will (try) to plead to one and get the other dropped, which would leave him with a misdemeanor...but still looking at potential jail time and a fine.

OK, here it is. First offense is misdemeanor, 2nd is felony.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...S&tab=subject5
    Article - Criminal Procedure
    [Previous][Next]
    §11–721.
    (a) A registrant may not knowingly fail to register, knowingly fail to provide the notice required under § 11–705 of this subtitle, knowingly fail to provide any information required to be included in a registration statement described in § 11–706 of this subtitle, or knowingly provide false information of a material fact as required by this subtitle.
    (b) A person who violates this section:
    (1) for a first offense, is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both; and
    (2) for a second or subsequent offense, is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.
    (c) A person who violates this section is subject to § 5–106(b) of the Courts Article.
    Last edited by BKR; 2/06/2018 8:09pm at .

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Scott B. Naugle Case Moves to Circuit Court

Update on the case
    http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us...62&detailLoc=K

As you may recall, he was arrested on a warrant for failing to register as a sex offender (3 counts).
    It looks like he has been "indicted" (don't know if that means a grand jury was involved). Normally, an arrest warrant establishes probable cause, then he would get some sort of preliminary hearing where he could "test" the State's evidence and argue against probable cause (for felonies). Not sure exactly how the process goes in Maryland.

The case number changed, still 3 counts, with terms/conditions for release on bond (he filed a property bond).
    This is in two parts, A and B, because screen capture won't scroll...
    Part A

Part B

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Case Update

Naugle has a jury trial scheduled for:Trial - Jury 08/06/2018 08:30:00 Howard County Circuit Court JudgesWhether or not he goes to trial is another issue. None of the supporting documents are publicly available, so we are in the dark regarding any plea offers made. Apparently all the charges are misdemeanors. In some states (like Idaho), it's a felony to fail to register within 48 hours...I imagine though he is going to lose his gym, and of course probably won't be able to have kids as students anymore at the least.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Scott Naugle Leverage BJJ Maryland Closed

First, no changes on record in the case. Still set for jury trial in August, 2018 (6th).

I was checking status of his (former) BJJ school. Looks like it is closed.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Naugle Jury Trial Moved

So Naugle's jury trial scheduled for 8-6-2018 has been moved to the end of the month on motion for continuance.

I'm wondering what his defense is going to be, frankly. I don't think "I forgot" or "I didn't know" is gonna impress a jury very much.

I'd speculate he didn't register because he knew if he did, he'd be unable to teach kids BJJ, because he'd show up as a registered offender on any simple search or background check, besides creeping out female students in general.

Currently it shows he has 3 misdemeanor fail to report/register charges. I'm guessing they are trying to plea bargain away two of them to keep him out of felony territory.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Naugle Case Disposition

His jury trial was scheduled for 8-28-18.

He pleaded guilty to one count of fail to register as sex offender (a misdemeanor in Maryland), and they dropped the other two charges.

Sentenced to 5 years supervised probation.

That is all that is publicly available, AFIK.

Page 3 of 3 First 123