1. #1
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,778
    Style
    all things in Moderation

    Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty

    "Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty"
    http://www.statesman.com/news/crime-...u7lc6kMMPeWKL/
    A Comal County judge said God told him to intervene in jury deliberations to sway jurors to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex.

    Judge Jack Robison apologized to jurors for the interruption, but defended his actions by telling them “when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,” according to the Herald-Zeitung in New Braunfels.

    The jury went against the judge’s wishes, finding Gloria Romero-Perez guilty of continuous trafficking of a person and later sentenced her to 25 years in prison. They found her not guilty of a separate charge of sale or purchase of a child.

    Robison, who also presides in Hays and Caldwell counties, did not respond to a message left with his court coordinator, Steve Thomas, who said the case is still pending. Robison is scheduled to return to the bench in Comal County on Jan. 31.

    The Herald-Zeitung reported that Robison recused himself before the trial’s sentencing phase and was replaced by Judge Gary Steele. The defendant’s attorney asked for a mistrial, but was denied.

    Robison’s actions could trigger an investigation from the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, which has disciplined Robison in the past.

    In 2011, the commission slapped Robison with a private reprimand for improperly jailing a Caldwell County grandfather who had called him a fool for a ruling Robison made in a child custody case involving the man’s granddaughter.

    The reprimand, the commission’s harshest form of rebuke, said Robison “exceeded the scope of his authority and failed to comply with the law” by jailing the man for contempt of court without a hearing or advance notice of the charge.

    The act of intervening in a jury’s deliberations is not addressed in the state’s list of judicial canons, which serves as an ethical code for judges. However, it states judges shall “comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”

    Eric Vinson, executive director for the commission, said he would not be able to confirm or deny if a complaint had been filed against Robison.
    So yeah ... this is happening.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  2. #2
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,794
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    1
    Automatic impeachment, or the entire county can drop into a sinkhole.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  3. #3
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,778
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    I am kinda liking the "immediate disbarment (disrobing whatever) and a thorough review of all his cases" idea personally. Who knows what else God has told him to do. He openly states he does what God says when God talks to him. Which means God has been telling him to act.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  4. #4
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,692
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    6
    Comal County, while geographically large, is almost wholly rural hicksville. BTW, that's where insane church murderer from a few weeks back was from, IIRC. You know, the guy that got booted from the USAF and wasn't supposed to be able to get guns. So, twice on the map in just a couple of months, WTG Comal!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,547
    6
    Judge is implicated in said sex case. Obvious answer.

  6. #6
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,465
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    "Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty"
    http://www.statesman.com/news/crime-...u7lc6kMMPeWKL/


    So yeah ... this is happening.
    My wife, who is much more hip to what is going on in the world, said I'm not allowed to call places **** holes anymore, as since Trump used that term it now has racist overtones. So I'm gonna settle with dung heap. Anywhere that is run by a theocracy(which is what you call it when God intervenes) I'll gladly call a dung heap, even if it's in the USA.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,837
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    My wife, who is much more hip to what is going on in the world, said I'm not allowed to call places **** holes anymore, as since Trump used that term it now has racist overtones. So I'm gonna settle with dung heap. Anywhere that is run by a theocracy(which is what you call it when God intervenes) I'll gladly call a dung heap, even if it's in the USA.
    Dung heap works for me...

    In the in the case of a judge in question I can just about guarantee it's a fundamentalist Christian sort of thing he's got going on.

    I got good exposure to that kind of beliefs as a young teenager and young man.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,437
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

    I got good exposure to that kind of beliefs as a young teenager and young man.
    Do people feel that such beliefs meet their spiritual needs?

    With such a strong element of conformity and absolutes, are people really able to fall back on it to find meaningful answers when times get tough?
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,837
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Do people feel that such beliefs meet their spiritual needs?

    With such a strong element of conformity and absolutes, are people really able to fall back on it to find meaningful answers when times get tough?
    Absolutely they do. Having some sort of absolute framework that is immutable and totally correct is quite a bulk-work to fall back to.

    Meaningful to them, yes, indeed.

    In fact, oftentimes they take on such beliefs because "times got tough", for one reason or another.

    If you haven't been involved, it's difficult to understand the level of belief people have, and how the lense of their belief supports their beliefs.

    The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or karma (action-reaction) is not comforting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in