Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ

Two more Rickson Gracie affiliates found to be convicted sex offenders

I pinged to this from a news site that I follow:
    https://www.bjjee.com/articles/2-con...gf-federation/

The article goes into good detail and the video at the bottom, though it does drift from topic at times and is a bit long has more detail if you are really interested in what they have found so far.

The break down of the above is this. There has already been one person convicted of sexual crimes found to be an active black belt instructor in the Rickson Gracie affiliation(hereafter JJGF). A month after that news broke, Mr. Ty Gay has produced fairly solid evidence that two more black belt affiliates of JJGF are also convicted sex offenders.

Of the two new ones, the first would be Mr. Romolo Barros Silva. He has convictions for sexual assault on three different women.

The second, and the one I'm currently the most focused on is Scott Naugle. He was convicted(as documents in the link above show) of sexual battery on a child less than 13 years of age. Reportedly he has not registered as a sex offender in the State of Maryland where he now teaches and lives. I have not been able to personally confirm or deny this as the Maryland State websites all time out when I try to access them, not an uncommon problem for someone living abroad, so if someone could confirm or refute this that would be most helpful.

If he has not registered, that would also seem to be an alleged violation of Maryland State law:
    https://www.waechterlawfirm.com/Arti...irements.shtml
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/marylan...stry-laws.html
    Any resident lawyers that can confirm that this is indeed an alleged violation, again it would be most appreciated and very helpful.

What bothers me the most about Mr. Naugle is that his leverage academy seems to advertise heavily to a child audience, with three courses offered for children under 16. All while he is the only listed instructor on their academy website:
    http://leveragejj.com/
    In fact his academy website says:
    Whether your interest lies in getting fit, self-defense, or both, LeverageJJ has what you are looking for.
    LeverageJJ has a family-friendly atmosphere.
    We offer a variety of different classes to meet the needs of many different students. Whether you want to lose weight, get in shape, become more flexible and coordinated, or learn effective and reliable self-defense, we have a class to meet your needs.
    We specialize in teaching people with no experience in any martial art. Of course, those with experience are always welcome as well.
    Our head instructor, Scott Naugle, has trained under Rickson and Kron Gracie since July of 1997.
    Because we are a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school, our focus is on teaching reliable self-defense skills, increasing confidence, discipline, self-esteem, and helping everyone to reach their own personal fitness and self-defense goals.
    Our head instructor holds black belts in multiple disciplines and teaches almost all of the classes.
    We cares about the success of each and every student. We realize that every student has different goals, and we are here to help students achieve each of their own personal goals.
    Although we are primarily a self-defense school, several of our students successfully compete in local tournaments. If your goal is to improve your competition game, we can help.
    Bolding mine
    http://leveragejj.com/about/why-leveragejj/

You can see how the classes stack up in their schedule:
    http://leveragejj.com/schedule/

I felt the need to make this a MABS thread for the simple reason that I do not believe that a person convicted of a sexual offense against a child should have this kind of access to children in general and most especially in a sport as physically intimate as Jiu Jitsu. As this isn't my first rodeo, here come the screen grabs just in case things start to change on the website.

While I know these guys are JJGF affiliates, I personally don't have a bone to pick with JJGF, as I do not know what JJGF knew or didn't know, how good or not their background checks are(or if they even exist), and frankly given the possibility that Mr. Naugle may have violated the law in not registering as required, it is entirely possible in my mind that JJGF was also deceived by these guys. Point being I'm not trying to start a witch hunt of JJGF or Rickson. My sole concern is that these two black belts should not be teaching, and Mr. Naugle most definitely should not be teaching, anywhere, under any affiliation and should have no access to children.

Finally Ty Gay is being contacted, as he did the original research and will be asked for input as well.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Another BJJ news source, BJJ World has started carrying the story as well. It has a few more details, and is thus worth a look. I'm still trying to access the Maryland Sex Offender Registry and still getting time outs.
    https://bjj-world.com/convicted-sexu...gf-federation/

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Cardio
    Maryland DPSCS SOR

Managed to get onto the site but came up with "No Registrants Found" for Scott Naugle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	17664
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Maryland DPSCS SOR

Managed to get onto the site but came up with "No Registrants Found" for Scott Naugle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	17664
    It appears he was convicted in Tennessee. Someone should check Tennessee's database.

I'm at work, so I can't do it atm.
    "Oh my God. What a bunch of pussies! Back in my day, if you wanted to tease someone you did it to their face. There was honor, respect." -Sensei Johnny Lawrence, on cyberbullying

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    It appears he was convicted in Tennessee. Someone should check Tennessee's database.

I'm at work, so I can't do it atm.
    I can't find him on the Tenn. Registry either.
    http://sor.tbi.tn.gov/SOMainpg.aspx

I know that search UI looks shady, here is the mainTNdotgov page that sent me there.
    https://www.tn.gov/tbi/law-enforceme...-registry.html
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    I heard from Ty Gay, he is down for helping us with this investigation. I don't know yet if that means just feeding information to us(me) or actually posting and being involved on here. We'll see.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Ok I've got a bunch more information from Ty, which I'll be uploading tomorrow once I've sorted it all, and figured out exactly what can go up for public consumption and what shouldn't.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this should be split into two threads focus on each of the individuals. Any advice from more experienced Bullshido guys would be appreciated.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Ok I've got a bunch more information from Ty, which I'll be uploading tomorrow once I've sorted it all, and figured out exactly what can go up for public consumption and what shouldn't.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this should be split into two threads focus on each of the individuals. Any advice from more experienced Bullshido guys would be appreciated.
    Definitely keep one location or one instructor per thread. Helps ease moderation and removes distractions.

Once you have things organized you can start two new threads and link them from here. At least that is what I would do. That way everyone can get their individual 15 minutes of fame :)
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling

Many JJGF black belts are requesting that the JJGF start doing background checks.

Many JJGF registered black belts, myself included, are requesting that the JJGF require background checks on any and all registered brown belts or black belts with the JJGF, and not register them if they sexual assault or domestic assault convictions, or convictions involving robberies or fraud etc.
    This is a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I pinged to this from a news site that I follow:
    https://www.bjjee.com/articles/2-con...gf-federation/

The article goes into good detail and the video at the bottom, though it does drift from topic at times and is a bit long has more detail if you are really interested in what they have found so far.

The break down of the above is this. There has already been one person convicted of sexual crimes found to be an active black belt instructor in the Rickson Gracie affiliation(hereafter JJGF). A month after that news broke, Mr. Ty Gay has produced fairly solid evidence that two more black belt affiliates of JJGF are also convicted sex offenders.

Of the two new ones, the first would be Mr. Romolo Barros Silva. He has convictions for sexual assault on three different women.

The second, and the one I'm currently the most focused on is Scott Naugle. He was convicted(as documents in the link above show) of sexual battery on a child less than 13 years of age. Reportedly he has not registered as a sex offender in the State of Maryland where he now teaches and lives. I have not been able to personally confirm or deny this as the Maryland State websites all time out when I try to access them, not an uncommon problem for someone living abroad, so if someone could confirm or refute this that would be most helpful.

If he has not registered, that would also seem to be an alleged violation of Maryland State law:
    https://www.waechterlawfirm.com/Arti...irements.shtml
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/marylan...stry-laws.html
    Any resident lawyers that can confirm that this is indeed an alleged violation, again it would be most appreciated and very helpful.

What bothers me the most about Mr. Naugle is that his leverage academy seems to advertise heavily to a child audience, with three courses offered for children under 16. All while he is the only listed instructor on their academy website:
    http://leveragejj.com/
    In fact his academy website says:

Bolding mine
    http://leveragejj.com/about/why-leveragejj/

You can see how the classes stack up in their schedule:
    http://leveragejj.com/schedule/

I felt the need to make this a MABS thread for the simple reason that I do not believe that a person convicted of a sexual offense against a child should have this kind of access to children in general and most especially in a sport as physically intimate as Jiu Jitsu. As this isn't my first rodeo, here come the screen grabs just in case things start to change on the website.

While I know these guys are JJGF affiliates, I personally don't have a bone to pick with JJGF, as I do not know what JJGF knew or didn't know, how good or not their background checks are(or if they even exist), and frankly given the possibility that Mr. Naugle may have violated the law in not registering as required, it is entirely possible in my mind that JJGF was also deceived by these guys. Point being I'm not trying to start a witch hunt of JJGF or Rickson. My sole concern is that these two black belts should not be teaching, and Mr. Naugle most definitely should not be teaching, anywhere, under any affiliation and should have no access to children.

Finally Ty Gay is being contacted, as he did the original research and will be asked for input as well.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Many JJGF registered black belts, myself included, are requesting that the JJGF require background checks on any and all registered brown belts or black belts with the JJGF, and not register them if they sexual assault or domestic assault convictions, or convictions involving robberies or fraud etc.
    This is a big issue.
    I appreciate that, and that will go a long way to stopping this from happening again. Though, honestly, the JJGF and how it is doing things or not, to me is a side issue. Maybe it is MABS worthy, maybe it is not. Personally I don't care to pursue it, and by and large feel it is a distraction to this topic(s). We have a man who has thrice been convicted of sexually assaulting women(three different women at that). We also have a man who has been convicted of sexual offense against a minor younger than 13, and who has failed to register as sex offender as required. I would really like this thread, and the ones that it will spawn, as I plan to do separate threads on each of these individuals to be sure they get their fair share of attention, to stay focused on the individuals and not any affiliations that they might have had. This isn't about the JJGF. This about making sure that people who go to these men for classes, for themselves or their children are aware of any possible danger they or their children might be in.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last