Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10

    Getting out of an ankle lock

    A guy I've been rolling with has learned a new technique and I'm trying to find a defense. In the past, I'd get put in an ankle lock (my ankle under his arm pit, his arm on his chest and approximately perpendicular to my leg). The easiest thing to do is to is just use my other leg/foot to push on his arm to release the pressure and buy me time to reach up and grab his arm or roll around to get out of it. Now, when I kick my other leg up there to push, he grabs it and crosses my ankles and replaces the other foot with the push foot and then grabs under the other foot and then it's shin on calf which doesn't feel good and I tap. If I try to get one of the legs out then I'm back to ankle lock or it gets converted into a heel hook and then I tap. I don't know if I would be quick enough or could be in a bad position to reach up with my arm in time to grab his arm. I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions?

    I've been doing No-Gi Rolling
    Last edited by mckinney; 1/16/2018 10:45pm at . Reason: Added no-gi

  2. #2
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    6,469
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1
    Probably what you want to do is close distance between your torso and his, and get him on his back, i.e. work to roll up to half guard or some sort of bastardized knee-on-belly. He needs to be on his side to finish the submission, so just make it so he can't get there. Grab his lapel behind the neck and use that as a lever/handle to pull you up into a ball and put him on his back. At that point, it should be trivial to remove your foot, and you have the dominant position. Or, I could be talking out my ass. Somebody will be along shortly to correct me, I'm sure.

    (edit) If he's got both your legs under one arm, then you're not doing that escape properly, at all. You should be posting on his opposite hip or on the floor to free your trapped leg.

  3. #3
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,009
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    2
    Hahhahaha I get the mandatory "ask your coach/sensei/instructor" post.


    Leg locks are 100% outside my knowledge base. I got nothing.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  4. #4
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    6,469
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    The rule of thumb is "give a leg to get a leg," so attack is an option, but to my earlier point, here, have some Kurt:


    Notice that his first defense is to make sure that the opponent can't sit back with his foot - one hand has a sleeve grip, the other has a collar (or, later, behind the head). After that, notice how he keeps his feet on opposite sides of opponent's body.

  5. #5
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,009
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    The rule of thumb is "give a leg to get a leg," so attack is an option, but to my earlier point, here, have some Kurt:


    Notice that his first defense is to make sure that the opponent can't sit back with his foot - one hand has a sleeve grip, the other has a collar (or, later, behind the head). After that, notice how he keeps his feet on opposite sides of opponent's body.
    "fucking piece of **** foot locker guy"
    Which totally nails my leg defense strategy. Fix that **** with rule limitations or get gud.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,636
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    2
    1. Flex the foot, straighten the leg.
    2. Split the leverage (his legs) and feed through so he has you calf instead of your foot. I'll look to see if I have a video on this.

  7. #7
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    6,469
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    1. Flex the foot, straighten the leg.
    2. Split the leverage (his legs) and feed through so he has you calf instead of your foot. I'll look to see if I have a video on this.
    Thanks for jumping in. @mckinney, you won't find better instruction than Omega.

    Omega, about like this, at around 2:00?

  8. #8
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,551
    Style
    MMA
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mckinney View Post
    A guy I've been rolling with has learned a new technique and I'm trying to find a defense. In the past, I'd get put in an ankle lock (my ankle under his arm pit, his arm on his chest and approximately perpendicular to my leg). The easiest thing to do is to is just use my other leg/foot to push on his arm to release the pressure and buy me time to reach up and grab his arm or roll around to get out of it. Now, when I kick my other leg up there to push, he grabs it and crosses my ankles and replaces the other foot with the push foot and then grabs under the other foot and then it's shin on calf which doesn't feel good and I tap. If I try to get one of the legs out then I'm back to ankle lock or it gets converted into a heel hook and then I tap. I don't know if I would be quick enough or could be in a bad position to reach up with my arm in time to grab his arm. I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions?

    I've been doing No-Gi Rolling
    Number one thing is stop trying to roll out of ankle locks. A straight ankle is a linear technique - twisting to one side or the other is not going to alleviate that pressure. It is, however, going to tear your knee up when you roll left and he stays right. Stuff like this is why tournaments consider straight ankles - "dangerous" - people spaz out and break their own legs.


    Trying to pull the grip off with your hands is also not particularly good technique. That will buy you time, but it won't actually get you out of the position.

    Part of the problem with your query is that there are approximately four thousand leglocking positions (ashi, double outside ashi, 4/11, split, knee knot, the list goes on for ever), and the exact escape for a straight ankle is going to very depending on which one it is. IN GENERAL, you want to pummel your legs to the inside of his legs. I'm trying to find videos of leg pummeling on youtube, but I'm coming up dry.

    I am worried that your opponent is doing heel hooks on you. It doesn't sound like you guys are super well-studied in leg attacks, and unlike the straight ankle, heel hooks ARE pretty dangerous.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Thanks for jumping in. @mckinney, you won't find better instruction than Omega.

    Omega, about like this, at around 2:00?
    Thanks this is what I need to do versus using my other foot.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Number one thing is stop trying to roll out of ankle locks. A straight ankle is a linear technique - twisting to one side or the other is not going to alleviate that pressure. It is, however, going to tear your knee up when you roll left and he stays right. Stuff like this is why tournaments consider straight ankles - "dangerous" - people spaz out and break their own legs.


    Trying to pull the grip off with your hands is also not particularly good technique. That will buy you time, but it won't actually get you out of the position.

    Part of the problem with your query is that there are approximately four thousand leglocking positions (ashi, double outside ashi, 4/11, split, knee knot, the list goes on for ever), and the exact escape for a straight ankle is going to very depending on which one it is. IN GENERAL, you want to pummel your legs to the inside of his legs. I'm trying to find videos of leg pummeling on youtube, but I'm coming up dry.

    I am worried that your opponent is doing heel hooks on you. It doesn't sound like you guys are super well-studied in leg attacks, and unlike the straight ankle, heel hooks ARE pretty dangerous.
    Thanks for the info. I should've said I gain separation so I can pull my foot out and roll out. He's actually a purple belt in gi bjj and does amateur mma fights. We've been warned about how dangerous heel hooks can be since you can't feel anything until it's too late. Knowing this, he doesn't crank and I know to tap immediately as it's not worth trying to fight out of it it for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in