Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate

Your Opinion, as a Self Defense Instructor...

Hi All,

I am a martial arts and self defense instructor and yesterday received an open-ended question,
    "How could I escape?"...
    The question is obvious to me, but with all of my knowledge on the subject, it would take me at least 2 weeks to answer the question.
    So, I only had 3 minutes with this woman to answer a deep question.
    I go through the primary concepts and do my best, but I fear I could have done better.
    Please tell me how would you answer such a LARGE question?

Thank you for your answers!
    Andrew Brown
    Martial Energetics

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Brick, stick, knife, tazer, bus, car, truck, train, Lyft, Uber, rollerblades.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Well according to your own words you have the Self Defense on lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by OP's website
    In our system, we have a simple benchmark for determining whether or not you are prepared for a self-defense situation. This benchmark has nothing to do with physical fitness, with knowing a certain number of techniques, or with holding your own in competition, and everything to do with the injurious intersection of intent, physics, and physiology. Objective, self-evident, and brutally uncomplicated, it is simply this:

Are you confident that you can kill a person with your bare hands?

It could be put into more words, but this is the long and the short of it.

Suppose that you find yourself in a worst-case scenario where immediate, drastic action is called for in order to save lives; a situation where, if you had a firearm, you would be legally and ethically justified to empty the clip into a human threat until it stops moving, but you happen to find yourself without one. If left to your own devices, if a need existed, would you be psychologically and physically capable of doing the dirty work of a bullet with your bare hands, wrecking the human machine through catastrophic injury so that it doesn't work any more, stripping it of consciousness, physical functionality, and perhaps the spark of life itself?

If so, then you are as prepared as anyone can be for whatever you might face.

Obviously, very few situations would call for such a response, and this type of scenario may constitute only 1% (or less) of situations involving criminal violence, but would you rather be prepared for only the bottom 99% of the threat range, or for all of it? Especially considering that, when potentially lethal violence is called for, it is in exactly those situations where no less decisive a response would be sufficient to guarantee your survival? If you have a concealed carry permit, you obviously know that your firearm is only to be drawn when it needs to be used, and to be used only in a situation where you have no other choice; you don't carry it around so you can mad-dog homies you see on the street, or bully someone over a parking space. It is the same when your only weapon is your body mass.

Your own death is, of course, merely a proxy for any bad thing you would go to any length to prevent. Maybe they're not trying to kill you specifically; maybe they're trying to abduct your kids, or rape your sister, or burn down your house with your family inside; maybe they have a gun and they're firing into a crowd, or trying to hijack an airliner with a sharpened toothbrush. The law classifies certain felonies as "forcible and atrocious crimes", where precedent states that force is justified to prevent them from happening, up to and including lethal force.

Obviously, there is no safe and ethical way of confirming this benchmark, but that's okay. When you have the requisite intuitive grasp of what makes things break in the human body, when you can not only see with your mind but feel in your bones how to get the work done, it is simply something you know, the same way you know that you could smash a piece of furniture with a sledgehammer, or snap firewood into kindling under your boots, and you don't need anyone to certify you.
    http://www.martialenergetics.com/blog/

Also Gen BS ---------> YMAS
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRooster View Post
    Hi All,

I am a martial arts and self defense instructor and yesterday received an open-ended question,
    "How could I escape?"...
    The question is obvious to me, but with all of my knowledge on the subject, it would take me at least 2 weeks to answer the question.
    So, I only had 3 minutes with this woman to answer a deep question.
    I go through the primary concepts and do my best, but I fear I could have done better.
    Please tell me how would you answer such a LARGE question?

Thank you for your answers!
    Andrew Brown
    Martial Energetics
    Escape what?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

Interesting read...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT

That's how you escape.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ

BFM next time lead off by letting us know he is saying this about Tai Chi. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. The great Tai Chi killing machines.

Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I called it first...

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post

That's how you escape.
    He didn't escape.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Escaping is their problem.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last