Page 9 of 10 First ... 5678910 Last

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    No, I'm in Florida. I was just curious if you were doing Push hands comps or forms or looking for striking stuff. I used to train with a few push hands champions and they traveled around doing tournaments. Most of my kungfu brothers competed in kickboxing competitions in San Da tournaments in South Florida and on local fight cards.

What flavor of Tai Chi are you doing?
    I am primarily a Chen stylist, but I began with Yang and Sun. It's hard to review your own style but my goal is Iron wrapped in Cotton; I am fairly soft during push hands.
    Thanks to all of my Karate, I got deep into Hard Qi Gong and figured out the compression techniques through Tensho no Kata.
    I plan on signing up with an MMA gym so I can have sparring partners willing to get kicked. Most of my 50+ year old students are not excited to engage in Free Sparring.

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What do you mean by "whole food diet"?
    The simplest diet rule I follow is: Don't buy anything with a nutrition label. Apples, Peppers, Onions, Potatoes, clean eggs and meat. That's the Whole Food I eat.

Style
    Cosmic CuckFu

exercise plan

I recently scoured the net for like a week... trying to find a routine to get back into shape. I picked up 20kgs (+- 40lbs) in the last year since I stopped formal training... So I put together a plan from a few fitness websites and forums, but I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

Can someone with knowledge scrutinize my plan, let me know its useful?
    Also open to tweaks, or alternatives.
    Thanks in advance!
    PS. Obviously I'm starting with lower weights, being basically a total beginner. But I have demo pics and vids of all the exercises, wanting to do them
    PPS. As for diet, I eat lots of protein, a little carbs, as little fat possible and lots of fruit and vegetables (1/3 to 2/3 of the diet)

Movement Prep

Two circuits of:
    10 glute bridges,
    30 seconds cats and dogs,
    10 reach backs,
    10 toe touches,
    10 bear crawls.

Muscle Activation
    Three circuits of (10 reps)
    bounding,
    overhead shovel throws,
    Turkish get-ups.

Cooldown
    Stretching (full body)

Day 1: Legs
    Squats: 4 sets of 7 reps (take as much rest as needed)

Stationary Lunges: 4 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

One Legged RDL: 4 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

One Legged Leg Press: 4 sets of 8 reps (1 minute rest)

Technique: 10 mins shadow boxing, 10 min heavy bag, 10 minutes weighted kata (rest when needed, 1 min)

Day 2: Shoulders

Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 10 reps (90 seconds rest)

Side Raise: 4 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

Rear Delt Raise: 4 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

Front Raise: 4 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

Technique: 10 mins shadow boxing, 10 min heavy bag, 10 minutes weighted kata (rest when needed, 1 min)

Day 3: Cardio

Jumping jacks: 2 sets of 30 reps (1 minute rest)

10 min Jump rope (rest if needed, 90 secs)

Criss-cross jacks: 2 sets of 30 reps (1 minute rest)

Jump lunges: 2 sets of 30 reps (1 minute rest)

Squat jumps: 2 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)

Day 4: Back
    Sumo Deadlifts: 7 sets of 4 reps (as much rest as needed)

Pull-Ups: 4 sets of 6 reps (as much rest as needed)

One Arm Row: 5 sets of 10 (one minute rest)

Reverse grip bent over row: 4 sets of 10 reps (one minute rest)

Day 5: Chest
    Bench Press: 7 sets of 4 reps (as much rest as needed)

Declined Pushups: 4 sets of 20 reps (as much rest as needed)

Dumbbell Flies: 4 sets of 10 reps (one minute rest)

Dumbbell Pullovers: 4 sets of 15 reps (one minute rest)

Day 6: Arms
    Nosebreakers: 4 sets of 8 reps (one minute rest)

Tricep Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps (one minute rest)

kickbacks: 4 sets of 12 rep (one minute rest)

Sissy Bar Preacher Curls: 6 sets of 6 reps (one minute rest)

45° Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps (one minute rest)

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps (one minute rest)

Day 7: Off
    Last edited by Hatur; 2/11/2018 4:01am at .

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatur View Post
    I recently scoured the net for like a week... trying to find a routine to get back into shape. I picked up 20kgs (+- 40lbs) in the last year since I stopped formal training... So I put together a plan from a few fitness websites and forums, but I have no clue what I'm doing lol. (snip)
    Seems a little heavy for "just getting back." I don't know your age or overall fitness level, but going from 0 to 6 days on maybe be more of a shock than you can take. Not just physically, but mentally. Either will prevent you from staying with the system.

So, my advice would be to come up with a ramp-up plan, and also (it always goes without saying, but we always say it so you don't die) talk to your fucking doctor, first.

Style
    Cosmic CuckFu

thanks

Thanks, I will try to scale it to three times a week and build from there. I used to be really fit; coached at my old school (cross country & cricket), played action cricket on the regular, trained at the dojo 2h a session three times a week. But I've never really lifted, just dumbbells. I just did tons of pushups, situps, squats, running, calisthenics... that stuff. I moved last year, haven't found time in the last year with settling in to the new town, job, routine thing. I met a friend here who lent me his equipment, and I've always wanted to pick up some bulk. I've never done six days a week though.

Funny; being fit my whole life, it only took a 8 months of being a lazy f***, sitting around too much and eating **** food, to lose it all lol.

I figured diving headfirst into something super challenging would kick my ass back into shape, maybe even better than before. But it seems obvious now you point out the mental and physical shock... that maybe a slower start would be better.

How about if I combine? Like day 1: arms & chest; day 2: legs and back; day 3: cardio

Any advice maybe on which muscle groups combine best for workouts?

PS. The town doctor is a jackass (I live in a town with only one doctor)... he miss diagnosed my girl friends broken ankle a few months ago as a sprain. We took her for x-rays a few days later... fracture.
    PPS. I'm 28
    Last edited by Hatur; 2/12/2018 4:28am at .

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    How about if I combine? Like day 1: arms & chest; day 2: legs and back; day 3: cardio

Any advice maybe on which muscle groups combine best for workouts?
    Based on your workout schedule you posted above, I would get ride of arm and shoulder day all together. Focus on compound movements and use push-pull as a guideline. Depending on how many days you want to workout, you could do push exercises on one day, pull exercises on the next day and cardio in between. You are young and not doing any bodybuilding competitions so, I wouldn't worry about isolation exercises at this point.

Muscle groups that work together: remember that pushing on compound movements work the accessory muscles also. So you can do bench press which is working your triceps at the same time. When you are doing pullups, you are working your biceps at the same time. So, instead of doing 3 exercise for your lats and then on a different day doing 3 exercises for your biceps, you can save yourself time and just do some biceps at the end of your back day since they are already fatigued from being worked. That is, if you want to do curls at all.

I would focus more on cardio since you gained 40lbs that you are looking to lose. Then when you get your weight down, dial down the cardio and up the weightlifting.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Cosmic CuckFu
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Based on your workout schedule you posted above, I would get ride of arm and shoulder day all together. Focus on compound movements and use push-pull as a guideline. Depending on how many days you want to workout, you could do push exercises on one day, pull exercises on the next day and cardio in between. You are young and not doing any bodybuilding competitions so, I wouldn't worry about isolation exercises at this point.

Muscle groups that work together: remember that pushing on compound movements work the accessory muscles also. So you can do bench press which is working your triceps at the same time. When you are doing pullups, you are working your biceps at the same time. So, instead of doing 3 exercise for your lats and then on a different day doing 3 exercises for your biceps, you can save yourself time and just do some biceps at the end of your back day since they are already fatigued from being worked. That is, if you want to do curls at all.

I would focus more on cardio since you gained 40lbs that you are looking to lose. Then when you get your weight down, dial down the cardio and up the weightlifting.
    That is great advice, thanks! Some online exercise forums say to eschew cardio all together, because they say you lose weight as you do weightlifting... but that seems a bit counter intuitive. Cardio's gotta be important, if for nothing else, overall health.

I hate to be a pain, but what pull and push exercises would you recommend?

Style
    Kendo
    That program just seems way ambitious to jump on right away. As far as exercises: squats, deads, snatches, military press, pull-ups, bent-over rows. I like the Turkish get-ups you already have there but I wouldn't classify them as a warm-up. You might want to get some coaching so you don't hurt yourself.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    That is great advice, thanks! Some online exercise forums say to eschew cardio all together, because they say you lose weight as you do weightlifting... but that seems a bit counter intuitive. Cardio's gotta be important, if for nothing else, overall health.

I hate to be a pain, but what pull and push exercises would you recommend?
    I personally am a functional fitness and callisthenic proponent. That's not to say that I have never lifted weights, I used to be a power lifter, but for about the last 10 years or so, I do nothing but bodyweight exercises and I do my cardio on the elliptical. I used to do tons of squats but can't any more after I busted my knee up stick fighting.

That being said, my number one exercise is pullups and all other things are secondary to that. Pullups primary and then I throw in rows and kettlebell swings. I use the kettlebell swings for posterior chain. For chest and triceps I use pushups and dips. I said I do all bodyweight exercises but I do have a weight chain that goes around your waist and I use that with my kettlebell sometimes with pullups and dips to get a little extra out of my workout. These exercises I do twice a week and then cardio twice a week. I use the elliptical for my cardio and burpies to mix things up or when I am out of town away from an elliptical.

I like this type of routine because you don't need a gym and you can work out anywhere and any time. I don't miss workouts, and haven't in years. So this would probably be something you could do to get you started or something you can add to your life for lifetime fitness.

That being said, there are plenty of other good workout programs out there. 5x5, 4x6, stronglifts and all kinds of stuff. The thing that keeps you working out is the best one.

Some people are more into weights because they like pushing iron. I understand that as I used to do it. So if it keeps you in the gym, go with that.

If you are lifting weights and wanting to focus on compound lifts, I would look toward bench press, dumbbell press, military press and dips for chest and triceps. Then finish with kickbacks or triceps extensions. Deadlifts, dumbbell rows, and still pullups for back and biceps. The finish with curls for the girls.

Squats and cardio for legs.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Cosmic CuckFu
    Yeah... I did think maybe I was being a bit niave jumping into this program straight out the gate. That's why I wanted to find some people who know stuff to look it over.

So consensus seems to be that squats, deadlifts, military press, pull-ups, rows... and I find the list from Diesel pretty thorough and a lot more doable.
    It was honestly a pain in the ass trying to remember how to do all the different stuff lol.

Cool, I'm gonna try the three a week, back & biceps, chest & triceps, cardio & legs; with the ideas thrown in. Thanks again mate, I'll post how its going after maybe a month or two.

btw Neil I tried some of them turkish get ups today, and I agree. I'd never heard of them before, and it was a bit of a mission to get the form right. But they feel effective

Page 9 of 10 First ... 5678910 Last