Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRooster View Post
    I had never been challenged harder than the coaches at Orange Theory. Of course, I am a lucky person and I did luck out with my coaches.
    That doesn't say much for your prior MA training, if a chain gym pushed you harder.
    But you're not a fatass anymore so that's good!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    That doesn't say much for your prior MA training, if a chain gym pushed you harder.

In his defense Orange Theory is a bit more than just a chain gym.

That being said, I think you give the gym too much credit. Ultimately it's you who makes the choice. Every few months or so I run fitness camps. I don't let anybody just join, I actually interview the individual. My opening statement is that I don't want them to join, I want them to be so scared of me that they'll leave because I'm not nice in my workouts. I find it very arrogant of you to come into this forum though and proclaim to be an expert (my words not yours) in the field of diet and weight loss.

Aside from that could for you. You missed a few things in your description, like how tall are you, what was your average body fat during these times? What did you try that didn't work for you? etc.

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

That being said, I think you give the gym too much credit. Ultimately it's you who makes the choice. Every few months or so I run fitness camps. I don't let anybody just join, I actually interview the individual. My opening statement is that I don't want them to join, I want them to be so scared of me that they'll leave because I'm not nice in my workouts. I find it very arrogant of you to come into this forum though and proclaim to be an expert (my words not yours) in the field of diet and weight loss.

Aside from that could for you. You missed a few things in your description, like how tall are you, what was your average body fat during these times? What did you try that didn't work for you? etc.
    Thanks for asking the question. I wouldn't know what information to put down without others to ask.
    I am 6'1". I did the dunk tank body fat test when I reached 220 and had 17% body fat. I did it again when I reached 203 lbs and had 15% body fat. I can't give you stats at 280 but I am confident it is more than 17%.
    What didn't work? That's a long list :)
    Mother's Cooking; Sitting next to my father and having a competitive spirit got me to 273 lbs by 13 years old.
    Atkins; During my 20s, worked for a period, but it seemed like a permanent life style to maintain and I fell away.
    Morning Protein Shake, Soup Lunch and Veggies and Rice for Dinner during two years of university combined with P90X got me down to 235 and I felt great! I gained it all back by working a desk job and not doing the same thing... Unsustainable diet.
    Sensa; did not work for me.
    Nutrisystem; I lost 20 lbs before returning to normal food and regained it in 2 months.
    Vitamix Diet; This was my first diet I say succeeded, but it was too strict for my partner and I. I lost about 25 lbs during a 12 week period and was impressed.
    Whole 30 Diet; After Vitamix, this was easy. My partner prepared many of our lunches and I cooked dinners for at least 6 months. I lost another 40 lbs during this period.
    My Personal Rules; After reaching 203 at the end of a Weight Loss Challenge (I won $750 from the Orange Theory competition), I switched to a maintenance diet of 90% vegetarian, 10% chicken/fish whole food diet.

I do not claim to be a Nutrition or Fitness Expert, just an Enthusiastic Amateur who got lucky and found a way.

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I had puked a few times during some of the conditioning days with my professional wushu coach, but it took Orange Theory coaching and interval training to get a 5:30 mile.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Thanks for asking the question. I wouldn't know what information to put down without others to ask.
    I am 6'1". I did the dunk tank body fat test when I reached 220 and had 17% body fat. I did it again when I reached 203 lbs and had 15% body fat. I can't give you stats at 280 but I am confident it is more than 17%.
    What didn't work? That's a long list :)
    Mother's Cooking; Sitting next to my father and having a competitive spirit got me to 273 lbs by 13 years old.
    Atkins; During my 20s, worked for a period, but it seemed like a permanent life style to maintain and I fell away.
    Morning Protein Shake, Soup Lunch and Veggies and Rice for Dinner during two years of university combined with P90X got me down to 235 and I felt great! I gained it all back by working a desk job and not doing the same thing... Unsustainable diet.
    Sensa; did not work for me.
    Nutrisystem; I lost 20 lbs before returning to normal food and regained it in 2 months.
    Vitamix Diet; This was my first diet I say succeeded, but it was too strict for my partner and I. I lost about 25 lbs during a 12 week period and was impressed.
    Whole 30 Diet; After Vitamix, this was easy. My partner prepared many of our lunches and I cooked dinners for at least 6 months. I lost another 40 lbs during this period.
    My Personal Rules; After reaching 203 at the end of a Weight Loss Challenge (I won $750 from the Orange Theory competition), I switched to a maintenance diet of 90% vegetarian, 10% chicken/fish whole food diet.

I do not claim to be a Nutrition or Fitness Expert, just an Enthusiastic Amateur who got lucky and found a way.
    I know you're not calling yourself an expert, hence me saying "My words not yours", I'm just fucking with you in other words. $750? Dude! Good job. I'm curious how that works. My competition is all about body fat to lean muscle mass, not weight loss.

I hate, absolutely hate, Nutrisystem. Sounds to me like you were missing your fiber in your diet which is usually off set by a higher veg diet.

Welcome to the forum.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I am Tai Chi and Kyokushin player; my favorite traditional hand styles. I also have plenty of training in Self Defense and a bit of that old Ninjutsu/Systema/Krav Maga stuff.
    I am looking at joining a good MMA school when I move to Denver. In the meanwhile, I have been looking at So Cal and haven't seen any good tournaments. Do you know any?
    No, I'm in Florida. I was just curious if you were doing Push hands comps or forms or looking for striking stuff. I used to train with a few push hands champions and they traveled around doing tournaments. Most of my kungfu brothers competed in kickboxing competitions in San Da tournaments in South Florida and on local fight cards.

What flavor of Tai Chi are you doing?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    What do you mean by "whole food diet"?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

That being said, I think you give the gym too much credit.
    Meh, we're on the same page it seems.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What do you mean by "whole food diet"?
    Food that isn't processed or mixed to much, raw vegetables and fruits, simply baked meats etc. Foods that go through the least amount of processes before getting to your mouth.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    A little cringeworthy that they've turned this into a money-making scheme, but the Gracie diet seems pretty cool.
    Pay for it: http://graciediet.com/
    Or, get it for free: http://www.graciemag.com/en/gracie-diet/

Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last