Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Style
    Tai Chi, Kyokushin Karate

Ask me Anything about Diet and Weight Loss

Hi everyone! When I was 13, I weighed in at 273 pounds. That day, I began focusing on weight loss...
    I worked my ass off, became a decent athlete, high level martial artist and local tournament champion, but I was over 250 pounds on average until I hit 30.
    A few years later, still trying to lose weight, I visit my doctor about ankle pains, weigh in at 280 and he flat out tells me, "Stop running! You're too fat."
    Three years later, I look at the scale and see "200". I didn't cry, but a huge weight had been lifted...
    My workout/weight loss partner helped me every step of the way and I highly recommend finding a buddy willing to wake up at 4:30am at least 3 days a week and join you at the gym.

It took a long time to boil down multiple 100+ page books listing out meal plans and recipes to figure out the simple truth of "Eat whole vegetables, fruits and proteins."
    I dropped the processed food products as all of them add unnecessary ingredients; mostly sugar, salt and preservatives.

My diet enlightenment:
    Rule 1: Eat whole food.
    Rule 2: While being social, choose wisely.

Orange Theory Fitness and the amazing coaches guided me well. I trust their expertise.
    Being a Tai Chi player, meditation greatly helped me find my weak points and my exceptional balance protected me from many injuries.

My fitness enlightenment:
    Rule 1: 70% exertion for 70% of the time, 80-100% exertion for 30% of the time.
    Rule 2: Know your limits so you can break your limits.

Since reaching 200, I have run multiple races and one half marathon. I am training myself up for martial arts competition once again.
    There is no substitute for a partner as self motivation is hard!
    Please feel free to ask me anything about the long journey.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Did your diet include a lot of SPAM?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Did your diet include a lot of SPAM?
    We got a weightloss spammer?
    Let me at'em! Let me at'em!

Wait this OP?

Unless I missed something I think he might be ok.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRooster View Post
    Hi everyone! When I was 13, I weighed in at 273 pounds. That day, I began focusing on weight loss...
    I worked my ass off, became a decent athlete, high level martial artist and local tournament champion, but I was over 250 pounds on average until I hit 30.
    A few years later, still trying to lose weight, I visit my doctor about ankle pains, weigh in at 280 and he flat out tells me, "Stop running! You're too fat."
    Three years later, I look at the scale and see "200". I didn't cry, but a huge weight had been lifted...
    My workout/weight loss partner helped me every step of the way and I highly recommend finding a buddy willing to wake up at 4:30am at least 3 days a week and join you at the gym.

It took a long time to boil down multiple 100+ page books listing out meal plans and recipes to figure out the simple truth of "Eat whole vegetables, fruits and proteins."
    I dropped the processed food products as all of them add unnecessary ingredients; mostly sugar, salt and preservatives.

My diet enlightenment:
    Rule 1: Eat whole food.
    Rule 2: While being social, choose wisely.

Orange Theory Fitness and the amazing coaches guided me well. I trust their expertise.
    Being a Tai Chi player, meditation greatly helped me find my weak points and my exceptional balance protected me from many injuries.

My fitness enlightenment:
    Rule 1: 70% exertion for 70% of the time, 80-100% exertion for 30% of the time.
    Rule 2: Know your limits so you can break your limits.

Since reaching 200, I have run multiple races and one half marathon. I am training myself up for martial arts competition once again.
    There is no substitute for a partner as self motivation is hard!
    Please feel free to ask me anything about the long journey.
    Hey man, really glad that this worked for you. Here is the thing, one size fits all programs, are quickly going the way of the dinosaur. As we learn more about human metabolism and energy systems it is becoming increasingly clear that diets will not affect all people the same. Here are a couple of links regarding some ground breaking studies in this direction:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1119133230.htm
    http://www.weizmann.ac.il/pages/home/algorithm-diet
    https://www.israel21c.org/diet-study...ealthy-eating/
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    So you started eating right and exercising and lost a bunch of weight? That's great.

What martial art are you looking to compete in? I see you listed that you are a Tai Chi player. What tournaments are you training for and what events?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style

lol

Sorry, not a spammer. I am just one of those lucky people that lost the weight after trying for a long time. I have no product to sell, only advice for those on the same path.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    So you started eating right and exercising and lost a bunch of weight? That's great.

What martial art are you looking to compete in? I see you listed that you are a Tai Chi player. What tournaments are you training for and what events?
    I am Tai Chi and Kyokushin player; my favorite traditional hand styles. I also have plenty of training in Self Defense and a bit of that old Ninjutsu/Systema/Krav Maga stuff.
    I am looking at joining a good MMA school when I move to Denver. In the meanwhile, I have been looking at So Cal and haven't seen any good tournaments. Do you know any?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Really? Orange Theory? Blah.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Hey man, really glad that this worked for you. Here is the thing, one size fits all programs, are quickly going the way of the dinosaur. As we learn more about human metabolism and energy systems it is becoming increasingly clear that diets will not affect all people the same. Here are a couple of links regarding some ground breaking studies in this direction:

Totally agree. No diet fits all. I learned that the hard way. I tried exercise without diet for years then attempted many of the fad diets and "Lose Weight Fast!" plans...only thing that worked was clean food. All of my intense exercise made me strong, fast and powerful but realized exercise improves health, diet improves weight.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Really? Orange Theory? Blah.
    I had never been challenged harder than the coaches at Orange Theory. Of course, I am a lucky person and I did luck out with my coaches.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last